Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Windows 7 Starter for Netbooks 
What's a life?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/253426/wind ... -list.html

The forums seem to be screwed up over there again. :roll:

They don't mention that it is also limited to a 10" screen.

The 3 app limit has been dropped.

IMHO The reason for Starter is to provide a very cheap version of Windows for the netbook market. Microsoft are setting the specifications for a netbook, so that the delination is clear. They will provide netbooks with a super cheap version of Windows 7, but if manufacturers try and creep the size / spec up to "normal" notebook territory, they will have to use a "normal" OEM version of Vista (aka Home Premium or Professional).

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue May 26, 2009 9:24 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Quote:
Microsoft will limit Windows 7 Starter to netbooks running single-core processors with screens no larger than 10.2in . . . no more than 1GB of RAM, a maximum hard drive size of 250GB, or a solid-state drive no larger than 64GB, and a single-core processor no faster than 2GHz

Well, the nettop I'm using right now satisfies most of those but has 2GB memory.

I wonder how they enforce the screen size? Mine is a 1280x768 9" panel, but there are some laptops with that resolution more inches.

I guess it will be OEM only, so I shan't be seeing it anyway.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Tue May 26, 2009 9:59 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It is OEM only. Which means that checking the hardware isn't that important. They just won't be able to bundle Starter Edition with either normal desktops or normal notebooks. It is only for netbooks which fulfill the original definition...

Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 am
Profile ICQ
Has a life

I would expect the maximum requirement to rise over the next year. When Intel release their dual core
atom, they will by putting massive pressure on MS to play ball.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 am
What's a life?

I think they will try and not play ball.

Windows 7 Starter seems to be a bit of a "loss-leader", it is available purely to fend off Linux on ultra-cheap devices. Give the device "real" computing power and a) it is competing against "normal" laptops or desktops more openly, b) the user will want things like Media Center and Aero etc. c) the price of the hardware is also encroaching on "normal" products, so it isn't as price sensitive and isn't going to be so affected by Linux.

I don't think Microsoft will play ball in this area.

I doesn't make sense Microsoft, it doesn't make sense for the consumer (well, I guess all those Anytime upgrades to Home Premium might put a smile on Microsoft's face).

If I am going to get a cheap and cheerful netbook, then I'll get one with Linux. If it is going to be powerful enough to run desktop apps and have a decent sized screen, then I'll take Windows HP or Professional, so that I can use it for work...

Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 am
Profile ICQ

JJW009 wrote:
I wonder how they enforce the screen size? Mine is a 1280x768 9" panel, but there are some laptops with that resolution more inches.

:shock:, my Eee PC 1000 supports a mere 1024 x 600 on a 10" screen.

Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 am
What's a life?

I think it's a smart move by M$.

As mentioned above, it means they have XP on netbooks and Vista on notebooks, without manufacturers using XP lite on notebooks too. Though removing the 3-app limit IMO would hamper this. People want more than three apps on a notebook.

Wed May 27, 2009 9:29 am
What's a life?

They dropped the 3 app limit 2 weeks ago...

Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:

still think they should have kept it. If you can't run many apps, you don't need 4GB of ram in your pseudo-netbook, hence automatically restricts hardware use. No point having a 3-limit app on an all-singing, all-dancing notebook. Just might as well go for Vista.

That's the strategy I would have used.

Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm
What's a life?

Vista? :?

Wed May 27, 2009 12:31 pm
Profile ICQ

cloaked_wolf wrote:
big_D wrote:

still think they should have kept it. If you can't run many apps, you don't need 4GB of ram in your pseudo-netbook, hence automatically restricts hardware use. No point having a 3-limit app on an all-singing, all-dancing notebook. Just might as well go for Vista.

That's the strategy I would have used.

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Vista would be just as expensive as a non-starter edition of Win7, not to mention more taxing on the hardware.

Win7 starter edition wasn't going to win many friends with a 3 app. limit, by the time you've opened your browser, IM client and anti-virus you can kiss goodbye to your word processor and media player...

Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 pm
Legend

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/254056/offi ... apped.html

Quote:
The Starter edition will still lack a number of key features, however, including Media Center, Aero Glass, DVD playback and even the ability to change the desktop wallpaper.

So even if you did want to connect an external DVD drive, it wouldn't work? :?

And how [LIFTED] petty is it that you can't change the wallpaper? Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one...

Quote:
In fact, the company is urging netbook owners to consider upgrading to superior versions. "Windows 7 Starter should not be considered 'the netbook SKU' as most machines in this category can run any edition of Windows 7," Microsoft states.

So cut the above crap then! :roll:

Quote:
"Many of our beta users have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on their small notebook PCs and have given us very positive feedback on their experience."

You should consider making that one of two (probably three at the most) versions, then - you're trying to recover from Vista in the middle of a recession and your competition are approaching from every angle, all with an OS that's basically Vista with less flab :P

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat May 30, 2009 2:14 pm

pcernie wrote:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/254056/official-threeapp-limit-on-windows-7-starter-scrapped.html

Quote:
The Starter edition will still lack a number of key features, however, including Media Center, Aero Glass, DVD playback and even the ability to change the desktop wallpaper.

And how [LIFTED] petty is it that you can't change the wallpaper? Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one...

Quote:
In fact, the company is urging netbook owners to consider upgrading to superior versions. "Windows 7 Starter should not be considered 'the netbook SKU' as most machines in this category can run any edition of Windows 7," Microsoft states.

Quote:
"Many of our beta users have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on their small notebook PCs and have given us very positive feedback on their experience."

You should consider making that one of two (probably three at the most) versions, then - you're trying to recover from Vista in the middle of a recession and your competition are approaching from every angle, all with an OS that's basically Vista with less flab :P

Or you could run Linux, which is not only free but is also completely unrestricted. :?

Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 pm

pcernie wrote:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/254056/official-threeapp-limit-on-windows-7-starter-scrapped.html

Quote:

No the dvd drive would work but it wouldnt have dvd movie playback as standard. in other words just the same as Xp

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
Quote:

No change over Windows XP Home / Pro or Vista Home Basic, Vista Business or Vista Enterprise then, with the DVD playback. And adding a DVD drive will allow you to read a DVD and copy data from it, just like XP or Vista HB.

It is only versions of Windows with the Media Center (not Player) built in which have ever brought DVD playback! Just add PowerDVD, CyberDVD, like the OEMs generally do, or use VLC...

The lack of wallpaper isn't something that would bother me - although I'd like the ability to use a solid colour background. During a normal day in front of a computer, I probably see the desktop for around 20 seconds during the boot process, so having a background image is, to me, totally irrelevant.

pcernie wrote:
Quote:

Two things here:

1) Existing owners will not be able to upgrade to Starter. This is a large OEM only version and won't be available as retail or OEM for small producers, AFAIK.

2) Microsoft are providing it to netbook makers (of the smaller netbooks - sub 10.1" display and single core processors) to help keep the purchase price down. Hence the, partially, castrated version of Windows. It doesn't provide everything the "normal" versions of Windows 7 give you, but the OEM/you are only paying a fraction of the cost - a large OEM will probably pay between €60 and €120 for a copy of Windows, the Starter SKU will probably cost them €25 (or thereabouts) when bought in bulk.

It is a loss-leader for Microsoft, they won't make any money on it, but they don't want to use the entry level netbook market to Linux either...

pcernie wrote:
Quote:

Hence the fact that you can buy Home Premium, Professional (HP + domain + bitlocker etc.) or Ultimate (with everything).

Large businesses will get Enterprise, which will lose the MC, but gain some enterprise tools. And large OEMs making netbooks will get the reduced price Starter Edition to keep their prices competitive...

Don't forget, the whole "point" of a netbook is to be a mobile internet device, it isn't "supposed" to be a full media centre PC. ;)

Sun May 31, 2009 8:19 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next