Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Apple Macbook Pro is Hot Property 
Occasionally has a life

JJW009 wrote:
I don't care enough to research

Says it all, really. :roll:

Yes, there have been MagSafe adaptors that have caught fire, it's a fact, but how many? (You say "loads," but don't qualify that). And what's the number as a percentage of the total number out there? It may be 90%, it may be .009%. If you were a little more informed your comments might mean something.

I think what you're being confused and taken in by is the tendency of any Apple-related story to be blown out of all proportion on the internet. It's not a new phenomenon, it's the same thing that angries up the blood of many forum members when Apple gets "loads" of free publicity for its products, despite its small market share. It's ironic really: they're the first to point out that Apple shouldn't get publicity because it is insignificantly small, yet they're the first to post with the "bad-Apple!" stories, despite Apple's small market share. Kind of shows that they're the ones obsessed with Apple - more so than the "fanbois" ever could be.

Sat May 23, 2009 2:14 am
Doesn't have much of a life

JJW009 wrote:

What bugs me most, these stories have been going on for years now. This isn't a one-off, there have been loads of identical stories. Didn't Apple do a recall? If not, why not? I don't care enough to research, so do you know if they've redesigned the one ones they sell today or do they still have the same stress induced failure point?

The reason we have moulded plugs on our appliances these days is because the manufacturer is supposed to create a strong product which doesn't work lose and become a fire hazard. Hands up if you're old enough to remember buying something from Argos, and then having to buy a plug for it? :lol:

They did do a recall, but clearly the problem is still there because they are still being sued.

"If you move it about a lot"
It's a laptop, surely that is the whole point - it is supposed to be moved, supposed to be packed away & unpacked repeatedly and it is quite obvious that the design is flawed or the workmanship isn't up to the job.

Sat May 23, 2009 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Just changing the subject a little, about three days ago, I decided to completely wipe OSX off my Macbook and just have Windows 7 RC on it. Previously have run OSX and Vista. I have to say, Win 7 don't 'alf use less battery and the sleep mode implentation and battery life there is nothing short of amazing over Vista and OSX.

However, whilst travelling on a train to Luton the other day, I found myself sitting next to a guy with the older MBP who had it and other Apple kit spread out on the tablem keen to show his enthusiasm for lining Jobs' pockets. I whipped out my aly MB and he was like 'oh right' and started nodding and smiling. #

You should have seen his face drop and his brow furrow when it started to boot up Win7, I think I saw his fist clench too !

The 'hottest' power pack I've come across was on my old Asus EEE, that was literally too hot to touch when in full swing and I had to be careful where to rest it when it was on.

Sat May 23, 2009 10:56 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I didn't know there had been a recall...:?
My charger cable started to melt near the transformer, I whipped out my tool kit and soldering iron and put it right, but I wouldn't say no to a new one...

On the subject of charging, I leave mine on almost 24/7, leaving it to sleep when I'm not using it.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

rubicon wrote:
I think what you're being confused and taken in by is the tendency of any Apple-related story to be blown out of all proportion on the internet.

I think the problem, with this particular thread, was DaftFunk's post saying the user was at fault, for following Apple's advice and electrical chargers should never be left unattended... :?

If he hadn't tried to "supress the truth", that the adapter was clearly faulty in this one instance, I don't think this thread would have made such a big impact. His instant leaping to Apple's defence and saying that it wasn't an Apple hardware problem, but the user's problem for leaving the machine on over night (even though that was something Apple specifically state is possible to do). His argument was so laughable, it was just asking for an argument. :(

It is a shame, DaftFunk is normally a very useful member of the MacUser help forums, but he has made a bit of a fool of himself on this thread. :(

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 am
Profile ICQ

I don't think he's made a fool of himself Dave, he just stated what appeared to him to be the obvious. I know Mum turns almost everything off at night for fear that it might catch fire unless specifically instructed.
We've all skimmed through articles before and got the gist of it, DaftFunk probably got the gist that a MacBook caught fire because of the charger and it being on all night and thought that that would be something he wouldn't do himself, skipping over the bit that Apple had instructed the guy to do so.

Jumping to Apple's defence would have been him stating that Apple hadn't told the guy to leave his laptop charging all night and that Apple would do no such thing, the guy must be making it up to blame Apple.

Sat May 23, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

monkeyphonix wrote:
Just changing the subject a little, about three days ago, I decided to completely wipe OSX off my Macbook and just have Windows 7 RC on it. Previously have run OSX and Vista. I have to say, Win 7 don't 'alf use less battery and the sleep mode implentation and battery life there is nothing short of amazing over Vista and OSX.

However, whilst travelling on a train to Luton the other day, I found myself sitting next to a guy with the older MBP who had it and other Apple kit spread out on the tablem keen to show his enthusiasm for lining Jobs' pockets. I whipped out my aly MB and he was like 'oh right' and started nodding and smiling. #

You should have seen his face drop and his brow furrow when it started to boot up Win7, I think I saw his fist clench too !

That's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. It sounds like the PC troll's equivalent of those "and then the Swedish girls who ordered the pizza asked me to join them in the jacuzzi" BS stories. But if droning on about the superiority of 'doze over OS X gets you off, by all means go head. You've always been good to laugh at, even on the Dennis forums.

Sat May 23, 2009 2:37 pm
Occasionally has a life

big_D wrote:
I think the problem, with this particular thread, was DaftFunk's post saying the user was at fault, for following Apple's advice and electrical chargers should never be left unattended... :?

See, I think you're the one blowing this out of proportion. I hardly think he was "blaming the user".

big_D wrote:
If he hadn't tried to "supress the truth"...

Again, see my point above. I think you're the one engaging in a bit of hyperbole. Suppress the truth? Please.

big_D wrote:
he has made a bit of a fool of himself on this thread. :(

That's ok. I've seen you make a complete fool of yourself on many occasions in the old forums. You survived.

Sat May 23, 2009 2:44 pm
What's a life?

I've just re-read Daft's comments and I guess "supressing the truth" is putting words in his mouth, sorry.

But his comments about not leaving something charging unattended are just plain silly. With the old chargers I had, many of them needed over 18 hours to charge! That is a heck of a long time to sit in front of a set of batteries.

The chargers I bought in the 90s would just stop charging the batteries, once they were full. None have ever said that they should not be left unattended. I'm sorry, but his comments just came across as totally preposterous.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm
Profile ICQ

gavomatic57 wrote:
They did do a recall, but clearly the problem is still there because they are still being sued.

"If you move it about a lot"
It's a laptop, surely that is the whole point - it is supposed to be moved, supposed to be packed away & unpacked repeatedly and it is quite obvious that the design is flawed or the workmanship isn't up to the job.

Absolutely, and the fact they've already had a recall and presumably a redesign is what makes it even more outrageous. I would love to know what exactly they changed when they did the recall, because it clearly hasn't fixed the problem. I don't know the stats, but a failure rate that's high enough to put lives at risk is clearly too high.

I still don't know how many people have suffered this fault, but the class action is ongoing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/06 ... e_lawsuit/

And the feedback on the Apple store is all the same:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/reviews/MA938LL/A

My comment about connectors being more prone to break if you wiggle them a lot was aimed at Heather's comment that she'd never had a problem. Some people buy a laptop, but only move it once or twice a week. My old Toshiba on the other hand was in and out of it's bag 2 or 3 times a day for several years.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
Some people buy a laptop, but only move it once or twice a week. My old Toshiba on the other hand was in and out of it's bag 2 or 3 times a day for several years.

Mine is moved twice a day when I am working in the Batcave. I bought a second adapter which is plugged into my office power permanently. The only part of the whole thing that might cause an issue would be the magsafe bit, but I'm careful to avoid dead staples and stuff getting into the socket before I plug in. I also take care when removing the magsafe plug: rather than just tugging it out like the adverts, I push down on the plug part to disconnect the magnet before pulling the cable away from the laptop.

The Apple portable power adapters have flip-out lugs that you can wind the low voltage cable around. If you do it too tightly on the first loop, the entry point into the box will be stressed. I take care to leave a longer loop at the start.

But then, perhaps I'm unusual among Apple users in taking a little extra care when handling what are, after all, expensive bits of kit, no matter how robust they're supposed to be. *shrug*

Sat May 23, 2009 4:33 pm
What's a life?

The owner of this flaming laptop actually doesn't think the charger is the issue at all, but rather a mobo fault.
TUAW wrote:
From Ken:
"So the story is that I was doing an initial backup over my network to a time capsule. It needed to copy over 100GB of data and, as the manual states, "you may need to plug your computer in and leave it on overnight to complete the first backup". And that's what I did. I woke up an hour and a half later with it burning. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad if I caught it early, but I was asleep. There was smoke coming out of the keyboard, around the edges and out the ports on the left side. It wasn't a black smoke really, it seemed like a lighter, grayer smoke. The magsafe, though, was completely engulfed. There were green flames coming off of it. I had a folder underneath the computer too and that burned as well.

Another thing, I believe it's the computer not the magsafe. This laptop has broken two other power supplies, granted not to this extent. Yesterday, I just got the laptop back from the Apple Store again because the logic board and fan assembly needed to be replaced, I think due to the same issue. I was so happy to get it home only to find 6 hours later it was on fire.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to my Apple products. I always utilize safe operating procedures when it comes to the magsafe.

I just got back from the Apple Store today and they're replacing it, no charge. The head genius wasn't there though and I'm told I'll need to talk to him."

I'm not saying that there may or may not be an issue with some magsafe chargers, but rather that in this instance it could be a mobo or circuitry problem that's causing the problem.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun May 24, 2009 10:52 am
Doesn't have much of a life

ProfessorF wrote:

I'm not saying that there may or may not be an issue with some magsafe chargers, but rather that in this instance it could be a mobo or circuitry problem that's causing the problem.

In all honesty, that isn't a great deal better! Motherboards shouldn't catch fire either!

Sun May 24, 2009 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Indeed they shouldn't, but read the highlighted piece again - there may have been an issue with his mobo that caused the charger to catch fire.
Presumably, the charger could have offered copper-bottomed reliability but a fault somewhere else up the chain caused the fire to start in the connector.
I'm not an electrical engineer, and even if I was, I don't know enough about the magsafe connector to make any calls about it's reliability when connected to a potential faulty circuit.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun May 24, 2009 4:46 pm

It would be easy to automatically sense the power loss and shut down the adaptor. If the power arriving at the laptop PSU is less than leaving the brick, then there's a problem. It wouldn't matter where that problem was; it could be a fail-safe system.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Sun May 24, 2009 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next