Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Virgin Media - 200MB trial 
Occasionally has a life

The title should have a lower case 'b'.

saspro wrote:
I want it.

20MB isn't fast enough (although the stupid fair use policy defeats the point of it).

At 200MB if you could sownload that fast you could hit the 350MB "hidden cap" in just under 2 seconds. WHat fun.

350MB hidden cap? What's that then? I can quite happily download multi gigabyte files from technet direct at 2.5MB/s

Sat May 09, 2009 1:16 pm
What's a life?

I've downloaded over 100GB of files in month on a 20-meg connection with O2 and they never said a word!

Sat May 09, 2009 4:09 pm
Occasionally has a life

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I've downloaded over 100GB of files in month on a 20-meg connection with O2 and they never said a word!

I think VM take notice of you at about 75GB over the month. As long as you're not doing it every month I don't think that they really bother with you. I downloaded 110GB on a torrent over about 2 weeks and apart from the torrent feeling quite slow, I never noticed any speed cap when downloading drivers etc.

Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

wat?

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:25 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Assassin8or wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

I think VM take notice of you at about 75GB over the month. As long as you're not doing it every month I don't think that they really bother with you. I downloaded 110GB on a torrent over about 2 weeks and apart from the torrent feeling quite slow, I never noticed any speed cap when downloading drivers etc.

IIRC it's more WHEN you do it as their peak is like 4pm -midnight each day

My old flat we had 20mb, set it up to limit during the day and unrestricted at night so we easily got a few 100gb a month easy I reckon

Never any issues.

Sun May 10, 2009 12:05 am
Occasionally has a life

finlay666 wrote:
Assassin8or wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

IIRC it's more WHEN you do it as their peak is like 4pm -midnight each day

My old flat we had 20mb, set it up to limit during the day and unrestricted at night so we easily got a few 100gb a month easy I reckon

Never any issues.

Well, I'm only ever on the net in between those times really, and at weekends, so I can only tell you my experience, which is that I've not had a problem.

Sun May 10, 2009 11:16 am
Site Admin

Assassin8or wrote:

saspro wrote:
I want it.

20MB isn't fast enough (although the stupid fair use policy defeats the point of it).

At 200MB if you could sownload that fast you could hit the 350MB "hidden cap" in just under 2 seconds. WHat fun.

350MB hidden cap? What's that then? I can quite happily download multi gigabyte files from technet direct at 2.5MB/s

It's during peak times, over 350Mb or so they drop you to 5Mb until midnight. I'm usually OK (he says watching the last of this weekends 100GB download session finish)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sun May 10, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

saspro wrote:
Assassin8or wrote:

saspro wrote:
I want it.

It's during peak times, over 350Mb or so they drop you to 5Mb until midnight. I'm usually OK (he says watching the last of this weekends 100GB download session finish)

It depends on your package. For those on Large (10Mb), the limit is 2.4Gb between 10am and 3pm and 1.2Gb between 4pm and 9pm. If these limits are breached, the download speed is dropped by 75% for 5 hours. Looks like there is no throttling on the XXL (50Mb) package.

Further information here

Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm
Has a life

Being new to the x404 forum (having left the pc-pro/macuser one) I thought Id start buy attempting to show that you do get 50Mb with virgin but not at 4.30 on Monday after noon! :?

Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Legend

BlackSky wrote:
Being new to the x404 forum (having left the pc-pro/macuser one) I thought Id start buy attempting to show that you do get 50Mb with virgin but not at 4.30 on Monday after noon! :?

Welcome to x404! :D

Wish I was getting those speeds, just not sure I'd wanna pay for them ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm
Has a life

Hi pcernie, I average 48 to 51Mb on most days, and the cost is not as bad as most people would think. My bill being about £60 :| - phone, virgin Tv, sky Tv and broadband and I would pay more for an even faster service ie-100Mb-200Mb

Mon May 11, 2009 4:09 pm
Site Admin

BlackSky wrote:

Green with envy :shock: :mrgreen:

Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

BlackSky wrote:
Hi pcernie, I average 48 to 51Mb on most days, and the cost is not as bad as most people would think. My bill being about £60 :| - phone, virgin Tv, sky Tv and broadband and I would pay more for an even faster service ie-100Mb-200Mb

Not bad all that for that sort of money, but I couldn't justify it personally. I'm paying VM £10 a month for 2Mb. Due an upgrade to 4Mb soon, won't be paying them any more than I am now though :)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon May 11, 2009 5:11 pm
Occasionally has a life

Hmmm, a 200Mb/s service would require you to have a 6Mb/s upload, that's just so that you could download at the theoretical maximum, which would be lovely. We have 7.5Mb/s in the office and that's just awesome for uploading anything.

I'd definitely consider 200MB/s depending on the cost of course. I only pay £19 for 20Mb/s (sister lives with me and she has a rather pricey call package), so it would depend on what it would come to; £35 by the looks of things for the 50Mb/s. We have FO cabinets on the street, and one is literally on the opposite side of the street from me. The only thing that I can see being an issue is that I would have to find a router with 1Gb/s on the WAN, or take the VM box that they'll no doubt supply.

Mon May 11, 2009 11:04 pm
Site Admin

AlunD wrote:
BlackSky wrote:

Green with envy :shock: :mrgreen:

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed May 13, 2009 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next