Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Can Microsoft cope as Windows 7 RC goes live? 
Dennis Magazines

The Release Candidate of Windows 7 is available for download now, with Microsoft pleading for patience in a bid to avoid a rush on its servers.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/252299/can-microsoft-cope-as-windows-7-release-candidate-goes-live.html

Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

I'll help them out - I promise not to download Windows 7.

At all.

Ever.

Tue May 05, 2009 8:03 am
What's a life?

I might try it out in a few days time... When I have time...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Quote:
However, Microsoft has revealed today that the software will start to become unsuitable for full-time users from 1 March, when Windows 7 RC will be programmed to automatically shut down every two hours.

Beta users will find the automatic bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on 1 July, with the software fully expiring on 1 August.

:shock: That's a bit crap...I know it's beta software for testing purposes and that you want people to go and buy the product, but it'll seriously piss some people off. I presume it'll save your session and return to it when you log back in, because if it doesn't there could be lots of data loss issues.

I also hope it tells you what it is doing and why, otherwise it could catch people out (people who think they know what they are doing but don't, or people who think they've bought Windows on eBay/etc but have just bought the beta copy and don't have a clue)

Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Quote:
However, Microsoft has revealed today that the software will start to become unsuitable for full-time users from 1 March, when Windows 7 RC will be programmed to automatically shut down every two hours.

Until someone inevitably 'fixes' it ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 am

forquare1 wrote:
Quote:

Beta users will find the automatic bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on 1 July, with the software fully expiring on 1 August.

:shock: That's a bit crap...I know it's beta software for testing purposes and that you want people to go and buy the product, but it'll seriously piss some people off. I presume it'll save your session and return to it when you log back in, because if it doesn't there could be lots of data loss issues.

That is still 9 months of full use so if asfter 9 months you still ahve not decided to buy it then at least it gicves you time to revert back to whatever OS you prefer

forquare1 wrote:
I also hope it tells you what it is doing and why, otherwise it could catch people out (people who think they know what they are doing but don't, or people who think they've bought Windows on eBay/etc but have just bought the beta copy and don't have a clue)

Well its not M$'s fault if people rip others off.

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 am

hifidelity2 wrote:
forquare1 wrote:

Well its not M$'s fault if people rip others off.

I didn't say it was, but it could brew a bad name in less technical circles. Plus if you haven't heard the news, download the beta system and install and it just starts turning itself off, you might be less inclined to upgrade because after several reinstalls your OS seems to shutdown after a seemingly random amount of time.

Tue May 05, 2009 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]