Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Tories back 'whole life orders' for child murder 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

BBC News link

Quote:
Adults who murder children will face life in prison without parole if the Conservatives are elected in December.

The party said it would bring in a new law to make "whole life orders" the starting point when sentencing over 21-year-olds for the premeditated murder of a child under 16.

So, the Tories will bring this in if they are elected in December. Two questions spring to mind. How long have they been in power, and why haven't they already done this?

They've had, what is it, ten years now? And they decide to bring this up a few weeks before an election.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

For the easily led, this is peak 'Now you're talking!' that justifies everything before it.

Guaranteed tabloid fodder. Guaranteed to become a talking point the other parties will look 'weak' on.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
John_Vella wrote:
They've had, what is it, ten years now? And they decide to bring this up a few weeks before an election.

True, but don't EU human rights rules ban automatic whole life sentences. There has to be a possibility of parole (I think). Presumably that won't be an issue if we leave the EU.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

l3v1ck wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

True, but don't EU human rights rules ban automatic whole life sentences. There has to be a possibility of parole (I think). Presumably that won't be an issue if we leave the EU.

In which case making an announcement like this, mere weeks before a general election, seems more like sith-stirring than anything else. Why couldn't he wait until Brexit was done before coming out with this latest gem.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]