Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
John Lewis profits slump 99% 
What's a life?

Quote:
Profits at the John Lewis Partnership have fallen to almost zero in the first half of the year as its department store chain matched discounting "extravaganza days" by rivals.

John Lewis Partnership chairman Sir Charlie Mayfield said the retail sector was facing "challenging times".

Its results, which include Waitrose, showed profits for the six months to 28 July sank 99% from last year to £1.2m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45506322

Quote:
Sir Charlie said the chain had also not been passing on to consumers all of the inflationary impact from the weakness in sterling. The pound has slumped since the vote to leave the EU, pushing up the cost of imported produce.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 am
What's a life?

TBH it's frustrated me as I wanted some new camera stuff. I'd saved up and then when Brexit was announced, the price went up by 20%.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am
Official forum cat lady

This amuses me. The last company that made me redundant did their advertising. Guess they're not campaigning too great. I wonder if Queen John Lewis will now lose her crown?

<stirs cauldron>

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:18 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
In the age of internet price comparisons, prices matter.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Interestingly, some electronics stores over here are putting in data blockers, you can make a phone call with your mobile, but you don't get any data connection!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
Interestingly, some electronics stores over here are putting in data blockers, you can make a phone call with your mobile, but you don't get any data connection!

I’m surprised that doesn’t count as anti-competitive practice

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 am
What's a life?

big_D wrote:

So what I normally do is take a photo of the item and price and then go home and look it up. I appreciate that since price comparison websites have been around, electronic and electrical goods stores have had models with slightly differing model numbers "exclusive" to their store. With a bit of research, you can find out what the actual model is (the figures and features tend to be the same).

TBH when I went to buy a new LCD TV, I went to John Lewis, Currys, and Richer Sounds. In Currys, a salesman came up to me and started chatting. In John Lewis, I was just asked if I needed any help. Richer Sounds had only two salespersons and both were busy with a one customer. I waited around for ten minutes and decided to head off. I ended up ordering the TV from JL online and got it delivered (along with a fancy TV stand) less than a week later.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46 am
Official forum cat lady

big_D wrote:

What's that got to do with JL?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 am
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
big_D wrote:

What's that got to do with JL?

The comment above about people going into stores and using price comparison sites, whilst in the store.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]