Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Roy Moore sues Sacha Baron Cohen 
What's a life?

Quote:
Roy Moore sues Sacha Baron Cohen for defamation over TV stunt
Former US Senate candidate Roy Moore is suing the British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen for defamation after falling victim to a TV show prank.

In a sketch for his series Who Is America?, Baron Cohen pretends to be an Israeli anti-terrorism expert demonstrating a "paedophile detector".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45429509

Again - how do these people fall for him? Don’t they check out those asking for interviews before they agree? I don’t know what Baron Cohen does to pull his victims into his bubble, but he must seem pretty compelling. Has he inherited Steve Jobs’ Reality Distortion Field? Frankly, the things he gets people to do should ring alarm bells. With some they do, with some there’s a partial inkling that all is not right but they continue, and with others they carry on to the point that the police turn up.

The fact that he’s been able to do this since the Ali-G days tells me that (a) He’s bloody good at it, and (b) People are easily duped.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:11 am
What's a life?

I've not watched much of his stuff more recently - I watched the Ali G series, the film and the Borat film, and that's it but even then I was amazed at his ability to fool people. I wonder if there's a lack of vetting going on at some stage. Surely, someone along the way has to research the visitors. I know for presidential candidates, there will be some sort of security process. No idea if it's true for Senate candidates.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:34 am
What's a life?

Been doing some reading about this today - it’s as I thought - but the onus is on the “marks” to verify that they are who they say they are.

Quote:
In Walsh’s case, Cohen’s team used fake identities and dummy websites, and concocted media opportunities over the course of several months. It also leaned on flattery, intrigue and the disarming use of the word “Liberty” to reel the former congressman into a TV appearance in which he endorsed arming young children with heavy weaponry.

[...]

Quote:
Last October, a woman calling herself Ashley Winthrop emailed Walsh on behalf of the made-up production company First Liberty Pictures and invited him to be interviewed for a “docu-style series” about terrorism to be broadcast on Israeli television.

“For the on-camera appearance,” Winthrop proposed, Walsh “would meet with a gentleman from Israel who … has developed unique anti-extremist techniques that very few in the world are privy to.”

As it turned out, those unique and little-known techniques involved a made-up program to train children as young as 3 in the use of semi-automatic rifles and provide “a rudimentary knowledge of mortars.”

[...]

Quote:
Unfortunately for the Walshes, they apparently forgot Ronald Reagan’s dictum, “trust but verify.”

Walsh’s wife checked out the website domain from which Alexis emailed him, yerushalayimtv.com, which is now defunct but at the time was live and appeared to list television content in Hebrew.

“Since we don’t read Hebrew, we could not verify ourselves,” she told POLITICO.

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-sac ... s-leaders/

So, it’s all enticing back stories, flattery, and some guile, and balls. The hope is that people will just fall for it, and maybe not be so keen to check stuff out. Actually, it seems pretty straight forward, really.

In a way, it’s important television. People in power get caught out. Should we congratulate Baron Cohen for rooting out the easily lead and the gullible?

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm
Official forum cat lady

Sascha told him to attack him with his bare arse! Common sense would tell you not to do that and if you don't have common sense then you deserve everything you get. These people have such inflated egos they don't even think any more.

I hope the case gets to court so the judge gets to tell the sentator what a twat he is.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]