Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Vaping 'can damage vital immune system cells' 
What's a life?

Quote:
Vaping can damage vital immune system cells and may be more harmful than previously thought, a study suggests.

Researchers found e-cigarette vapour disabled important immune cells in the lung and boosted inflammation.

The researchers "caution against the widely held opinion that e-cigarettes are safe".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45170756

Quote:
They said some of the effects were similar to those seen in regular smokers and people with chronic lung disease.

They caution the results are only in laboratory conditions and advise further research is needed to better understand the long-term health impact - the changes recorded took place only over 48 hours.

Research in its infancy, though, but clearly this kind of risk is something to be aware of if you are doing this long term.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 am
What's a life?

This is why I think it was a bad idea for the NHS to back vaping as an alternative to cigarettes. We just don't know about the long term safety. This could easily be the new "cigarettes are good for you" that was peddled decades ago. I agree that vaping is probably less harmful than cigarettes but we don't know how much by.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 am
Site Admin

Inhaling anything that isn't clean air is going to inflame things in your throat & lungs.
vaping isn't safe but is a lot less harmful than smoking.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

saspro wrote:
Inhaling anything that isn't clean air is going to inflame things in your throat & lungs.
vaping isn't safe but is a lot less harmful than smoking.

I’m one of those people who has to take extra care when dealing with poor quality air. In fact, I’ve not been to steam train things for a while now for this reason. I have also chosen not to go to theatrical and artistic events due to the warnings about vapour effects being used and the effect it could have on people with long term breathing conditions. I’m asthmatic, and have to be extra careful. Once, I couldn’t go into pubs and cafes and other public spaces without suffering badly during and afterwards. I was so glad when the law was changed to stop smoking - it opened a lot of doors for me which were closed. Given the problems I had working in a smoke filled office in the 1980s, where I had numerous emergency interventions at my GPs to relieve severe asthma attacks, I’m pretty glad that the air is now relatively clear.

Vaping is a problem, though. We still don’t fully know what the substances do, and what the issues around second hand “vapour” are yet. I tend to apply the same rule to that as I do with cigarette smoke - if I can smell it, it’s doing me harm (and, yes, I know - cigarette smoke can be harmful when you can’t smell it, especially in an enclosed space). I tend to hold my breath for as long as possible. I have yet to be convinced that the exhaust from a vaper is any safer than that from a cigarette smoker. It is certainly more than just vaporised water - the smell tells you that. If it was pure water, there would no odour.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Site Admin

The biggest risk is from the flavours. They're all tested as food safe ingredients (I.E. you can eat them) but there's still a lot of research needed in to if they're OK to inhale.
There should only be 3 other ingredients, nicotine (in lower density/higher particle size than cigarette smoke), PG & VG. PG & VG are used in medicines (including asthma medicines) as well as other industries.

I'd be very interested to see how they were testing, e-liquid varies in quality & I suspect cheap Chinese juice contains more crap in it than the stuff I make (using pharma grade ingredients)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

One of the things learnt from the car emissions scandal is that some particulates and molecules can be very fine. Small enough to pass through the defensive mucosa of the lungs (that normally traps harmful materials) and cause damage.

Vaping may trigger asthma-like reactions, or may cause COPD (typically caused by smoking) but we just don't know yet. I agree that a lot of things are harmless in one state but can be harmful when aerosolised.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Oh dear...

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]