BBC clickety

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:58 pm
What's a life?

Sanity prevails, at least for a moment.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

The problem was there were too many conflicting provisions in the proposed law. So while much of it was worth supporting if you are a creator of artistic content and would like to get paid for your efforts, there was also much that was very worrying regarding access for lesser artists (of all kinds) to make their work available, especially articles 11 and 13.

I have nothing against artists wanting to be able to give their work away for free, but on the other hand if I want to be paid for what I produce then that is my right too.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Exactly. The problem is also taking the task of policing illegal content away from the content owner and putting it on the hoster.

The problem is the Internet platforms sit in a Nomansland, they allow people to upload content for others to see, but they aren't responsible for the content. So there has to be good faith. They have to assume the person uploading has the rights to the content they are uploading, or has obtained rights to publish the content. They have to react if the real copyright holder comes forward and hands them a takedown notice.

That works reasonably well, but is still open to abuse - several US podcasters get takedown notices from South American entities, who then slap adverts on the uploaded content, even though they have no rights to the content...

But the new system would just stop those platforms dead. They would have to check every update is copyright free or the copyright has been obtained, before the conent is published. That would pretty much destroy all platforms. For example, Saspro would have to vet every post to ensure that the text hasn't been copied from somewhere else, when it has, he would need to check that permission has been obtained. The same would go for image and video links. Only after he had done that, could he publish our posts. That is crazy.

And multiply that up for platforms like YouTube or Facebook. YT gets over 24 hours of new video uploaded every minute... How are you supposed to check all of that is properly copyrighted? It has to be down to the uploader and the copyright owners to do the due dilligence.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:28 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
big_D wrote:
Sanity prevails, at least for a moment.

I'm sure they'll be given it back to vote on again (and again if needed) with only superficial changes.
If the EU Commission want it to become law, then it will be come law.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]