Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
How a small town reclaimed its grid ... 
Spends far too much time on here

Quote:
How a small town reclaimed its grid and sparked a community revolution

The latest article in our new economics series looks at what happened when a German utilities contract expired, and one man thought his neighbours could take over.

Quote:
Martin Rühl never imagined this fight would define the rest of his life. Not for a moment did he reckon it would become so epic in length, in scale, in consequences. He just thought his speck of a town should run its own electricity supply.

A modest proposal, but in the Germany of 2003 it was highly unusual. Gerhard Schröder was still chancellor and, although a social democrat, was pushing through more privatisations of public assets than any other leader in German history. This was in a Europe that had learned from Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan to stop worrying and start loving the private sector. Now here, swimming against history’s current, was one orderly, slightly anxious engineer. On Rühl’s side were evidence, arguments and expertise. What he lacked was his multinational opponent’s money and firepower. The mismatch produced a battle that lasted years, that set off ripples around Germany and whose lessons should be pondered by anyone who wonders whether Britain could improve how it runs its electricity and gas, its water, its train services. And it kicked off in Wolfhagen, a somnolent town whose biggest previous claim to fame was that one of the Brothers Grimm had stayed in one of its half-timbered buildings.

Fifteen years ago, Wolfhagen was like thousands of other German towns and cities in leasing its electrical grid for its 14,000 residents to one of the world’s largest energy companies, E.ON. But two things made this place different. First, it still had a Stadtwerke, or municipally owned electricity supplier. Second, it had Rühl, who’d only recently become the Stadtwerke’s boss.

Rühl spotted that E.ON’s 20-year licence was approaching its expiry. Rather than just sign again on the dotted line, he thought Wolfhagen ought to reclaim the grid for itself – and pressed the case repeatedly upon the local council for months. For all the legal and financial advice he’d garnered, Rühl was not at all sure he’d persuade the politicians. “Lots of people were saying something totally different.” Yet, “I knew it was legal and correct, and morally right.”

if you believe in a future for everyone to have a say or share in, this is it. for things to change first i must change. its your choice you choose, it is truly within your own hands and something i very much believe in. the future is bright the future is yours ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-contract

if you cant read it all, please ask, i will post it in its entirety ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
What's a life?

This programme on BBC 4 tells how residents took over their living spaces and made a much better job of it than the council. So much so that they found that the council was actually starting to do what they were doing elsewhere. They were the first to do this, and have become the model for all other such projects.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... et-glasgow

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:55 pm
Spends far too much time on here

paulzolo wrote:
This programme on BBC 4 tells how residents took over their living spaces and made a much better job of it than the council. So much so that they found that the council was actually starting to do what they were doing elsewhere. They were the first to do this, and have become the model for all other such projects.

it can be done, just takes the nerve to do it ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
paulzolo wrote:

it can be done, just takes the nerve to do it ...

I think everyone just got fed up living in a slummy hole which is what those blocks were becoming. In fact, they bought a building that would have cost £50,000 to demolish for a pound, renovated it and turned it into living accommodation. I think it was an old school.

I almost ended up in Glasgow too - there were rumblings that some of the work in the DHSS was going to be shunted up either there or Newcastle, and those of us who were young, unattached and could be relocated. Actually, a few of use were thinking “yeah, why not,” but it didn’t happen. Rather glad now, seeing the kind of accommodation I could have ended up in at the time (latter half of the 1980s).

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 am
What's a life?

We have a locally run Stadtwerke here. We use it for gas, water and electricity. We tried swapping 2 years ago to one of the big names, but it was a lot of hassle, and despite promises to the contrary, worked out more expensive, so we switched back.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]