Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
NHS may rent spare rooms to ease bed crisis 
What's a life?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... om-surgery

This has me in a "WTF" frame of mind. There are so many issues here that the only thing that stands out is some dimwit thought of this as a costcutting measure and is working their way up the greasy pole.

Things that come to mind immediately:

• We used to have cottage hospitals in the UK but the Govt have been closing these down for years. Patients not requiring medical attention but needing convalescence would be transferred to these hospitals until they were fully recovered and discharged home.
  • Much of "bedblockers" are due to patients too frail to be looked after at home. The Govt has been pushing the "social care" agenda without a matched increase in funding or resources. Hence patients who could probably be managed at home aren't.
  • I imagine there must be strict criteria to avoid abuse of the system, of patients using these homes, and of other people living in the homes eg family, tenants etc
  • Some patients refuse to leave hospitals; what happens if this occurs here?
  • What happens if/when the carers aren't visiting? Is it up to the host to provide care?
  • A private company is involved, which means profits before patients.

Quote:
Hosts would be asked to welcome patients recovering minor procedures, cook three microwave meals a day and offer conversation

Microwave meals. Wow(!)
Quote:
They would also need to understand some care law, including the Mental Capacity Act, which aims to protect those who lack the ability to make their own decisions about treatment.

This would be interesting given that some medical staff struggle to understand the MCA.

Quote:
rooms would be rented out to funders at about £100 a night, with half going to the host. The rest would be used to pay for the care services required and a margin kept by the company as profit

So you get £50/nt to stick someone in your room and given them microwaved meals that you've cooked?

Quote:
It is almost weekly that there are reports of abuse and poor care in registered residential and care homes

Yes, it happens. Despite doing as much vetting as possible, having precautions in place, sh*t like this still happens.

Still sounds like a bad idea to me. At least with cottage hospitals, there was medical cover if a doctor was needed.

Last edited by cloaked_wolf on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:51 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Yeah, this did seem more like a 'throw at wall and see if it sticks' idea to me than anything serious.
There are so many reasons this is a bad idea I can't see it getting off the ground at all.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am
Spends far too much time on here

have to agree with the above.
for heavens sake we need to use the overseas aid fund for this country and other monies (taxes) that are spent on our so called behalf.

we have the money just use it at home ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:25 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Stupid beyond words

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:09 pm
What's a life?

Imagine if they had, I don't know, some kind of register of houses with spare rooms which they could coerce the occupants to let out in return for some minor benefit increases.

But that's really not on the cards at all, is it?

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]