Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The $1000 iPhone. 
What's a life?

jonlumb wrote:
The biggest issue with the X has nothing to do with the price, storage options or the FaceID.

It's the utterly awful screen invasion caused by the notch at the top that holds the cameras etc. It cuts into video in landscape mode, and means it shrinks browser content giving an extra background element to be styled.

I've not always agreed with Apple's design decisions (e.g. headphone socket disappearing), but I can understand the logic behind them. This element just seems to be a massive [LIFTED]

There was an interesting theory I saw on Twitter yesterday about the notch. As phones become increasingly just screens, with nothing to differentiate between various models, you get a branding problem. You could always tell if something is meant for an iPhone because the silhouette/icon was always a rectangle within a rectangle with a circle at the bottom. That means “iPhone”. If the silhouette instead had the “notch” at the top (as there is no more home button), then it will be instantly recognisable. You can bet that Apple had patented/trademarked the look of their new phone, and that’s what they’ll all look like in the future.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonlumb wrote:
The biggest issue with the X has nothing to do with the price, storage options or the FaceID.

It's the utterly awful screen invasion caused by the notch at the top that holds the cameras etc. It cuts into video in landscape mode, and means it shrinks browser content giving an extra background element to be styled.

I've not always agreed with Apple's design decisions (e.g. headphone socket disappearing), but I can understand the logic behind them. This element just seems to be a massive [LIFTED]

The resolution is 2436x1125 which is 19 (and a bit)x9 so it's not like it will interfere with most normal video content rendered to 16x9 resolutions. As Big_D says, the space either side seems to be used to show battery and signal/connections etc without impinging on the main rectangular screen area.
Without having a play with one it's hard to say but I suspect it won't be as distracting as you think - I suspect it'll either be showing something you want/need to see or it will fade out and blend in with the black notch bit.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2