Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The $1000 iPhone. 
What's a life?

Quote:
Apple has revealed a high-end smartphone with an "edge-to-edge" screen that has no physical home button.

The iPhone X - which is referred to as "ten" - uses a facial recognition system to recognise its owner rather than a fingerprint-based one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41228126

Well, I won’t be buying one. The $999 directly translates as £999 here. There are other models, and I expect the technology in the X will eventually make its way into other phones in the range. I’ll be sticking with my iPhone 6 for a few more years.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Don't forget that the £999 here includes 20% VAT and the $ price doesn't but yeah, that's a mad amount of money for a phone. I don't care how good it is.
As you say, the tech will trickle down eventually however I don't necessarily hold out much hope that the price will especially if they manage to sell a decent number of them which I expect they will.

Apparently the Face ID thing didn't work on stage for Tim Cook (oops).
They also seem to have dropped the mid tier storage option - used to be 32, 128 or 256 Gb now it's just 64 or 256. And they appear to have removed the higher capacity option from the iPhone 7 going forward as well.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
First of all..... [LIFTED] that! I'm not paying that for a phone.

Second: I'm not convinced facial recognition is more convenient that a good fingerprint scanner. On my Sony the scanner is built into the power potton on the side. It's perfectly placed to use. Normally as I pick my phone up, I pressed the power button to wake the phone up, it scans instantly, and the phone is unlocky by the time I'm looking at the screen. I don't see how facial recognition can be as quick. Also, can it tell the difference between a person and a photo being used as a mask?

To be fair 64GB is a mimimum reasonable storage for phones that don't take SD cards.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

paulzolo wrote:
Quote:
Apple has revealed a high-end smartphone with an "edge-to-edge" screen that has no physical home button.

The iPhone X - which is referred to as "ten" - uses a facial recognition system to recognise its owner rather than a fingerprint-based one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41228126

Well, I won’t be buying one. The $999 directly translates as £999 here. There are other models, and I expect the technology in the X will eventually make its way into other phones in the range. I’ll be sticking with my iPhone 6 for a few more years.

Over here it is over $1300 for the entry level one and over $1500 (over 1300€) for the "good" one.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

In that sort of price range it's hard not to think, 'rich/total victim/both'.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

Apple releases over-priced phone shocker!

Meh.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:28 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Just why would you?

"saw you coming" sketch - I think a Harry Enfield show.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
They also seem to have dropped the mid tier storage option - used to be 32, 128 or 256 Gb now it's just 64 or 256. And they appear to have removed the higher capacity option from the iPhone 7 going forward as well.

Didn't they do this previously? Make lots of versions available and then "simplify" it to two options - the rationale being people will either accept the lower capacity or upgrade, but most people will upgrade hence more £££.

l3v1ck wrote:
First of all..... [LIFTED] that! I'm not paying that for a phone.

Ditto. But there will be loads of people who will, just like when the plus sizes came out.

l3v1ck wrote:
Second: I'm not convinced facial recognition is more convenient that a good fingerprint scanner.

I can unlock my phone at night with a thumb press. I imagine using facial recognition would need something to illuminate my face at night, which might disrupt swmbo.

l3v1ck wrote:
To be fair 64GB is a mimimum reasonable storage for phones that don't take SD cards.

I've got the 64GB version of the iPhone 6S and I've found myself hitting the limit at times. Being able to nestle apps into folders has meant I often download and play games and then forget about them.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:
Second: I'm not convinced facial recognition is more convenient that a good fingerprint scanner.

I can unlock my phone at night with a thumb press. I imagine using facial recognition would need something to illuminate my face at night, which might disrupt swmbo.

The fingerprint scanner on my Note4 works just fine - the idea of your phone scanning for a facial ID is a tad creepy IMO.
cloaked_wolf wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:

I've got the 64GB version of the iPhone 6S and I've found myself hitting the limit at times. Being able to nestle apps into folders has meant I often download and play games and then forget about them.

Surely the problem there isn't storage capacity, but your failure to manage your phone?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am
What's a life?

The biggest usage are apps followed by photos and then music. Apps I can sometimes redownload but frustratingly I've had a few disappear from the marketplace so can't redownload. Photos tend to be important and I want to keep. Music is a pain to transfer via iTunes so I prefer to have to do it as infrequently as possible.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

Like all established technology, it is becoming harder to find new things to put on/in a smartphone to justify getting users to upgrade.

I bought my iPhone 6S second hand from a friend, who'd owned it for a year and was replacing it with an iPhone 7, and have it on a £6/month SIM-only contract which is plenty for my mobile needs. Unless I get an equally good deal when he upgrades to one of the new iPhones in a couple of months time, I'll probably stick with it until it no longer runs any of the few apps I am interested in.

It's the same with computers. My main Mac is almost 10 years old now, but it still does everything I need, and I can't see myself upgrading until there is a version of Adobe CC that doesn't run under El Capitan.

The problem with all smartphones for me is that they are too small to do anything meaningful with. Most of the time when I am out and about, I have my iPad with me as well, so my iPhone is pretty much relegated to phone and text duties only. What I really want is something that iPad sized that combines all the functions of the iPad/iPhone with a basic detachable phone device that would let me make and receive calls and texts that I could use on the few occasions when I don't want to also be carrying the iPad around with me.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am
Profile WWW

BigRedX wrote:
What I really want is something that iPad sized that combines all the functions of the iPad/iPhone with a basic detachable phone device that would let me make and receive calls and texts that I could use on the few occasions when I don't want to also be carrying the iPad around with me.

Damn it Google, why can't you find me a picture of an iPad with an Nokia 3310 Velcroed to the side of it? :evil: :lol:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 am

The phone component would need be compact lightweight and minimal, so that I could take it to places and events where I wouldn't normally consider taking a phone because I don't anywhere suitable in my clothes to hold it.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

The biggest issue with the X has nothing to do with the price, storage options or the FaceID.

It's the utterly awful screen invasion caused by the notch at the top that holds the cameras etc. It cuts into video in landscape mode, and means it shrinks browser content giving an extra background element to be styled.

I've not always agreed with Apple's design decisions (e.g. headphone socket disappearing), but I can understand the logic behind them. This element just seems to be a massive [LIFTED]

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The logical thing for the notch is to use the space left and right to permanently display the radio signal strength, battery and other status icons permanently on the screen, even when apps are "full screen", rotate them for landscape mode.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:55 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next