Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Drone causes Gatwick Airport disruption 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Drone causes Gatwick Airport disruption

From the BBC:

Quote:
A drone flying close to Gatwick Airport led to the closure of the runway and forced five flights to be diverted. An airport spokesman said the runway had been closed for two periods of nine minutes and five minutes on Sunday evening after the drone was sighted.

Easyjet said four of its flights had been diverted, while British Airways said one aircraft had been sent to Bournemouth. Other flights had to fly holding patterns as a precaution.

Sussex Police is investigating.

Are drones capable of bringing down a plane? If so, what kind of [LIFTED] idiots are flying these toys around an airport?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:26 am
What's a life?

What sort of idiots are flying them around an airport full-stop.

It is possible that they could get sucked into the engine, and depending on size, could damage it - just look at incidents caused by flocks of birds.

But the aviation authorities report that as a near-miss, when two flying objects come too close and regardless of size, one has to take avoiding action. As the drone pilot wasn't in radio contact with the tower, that only left making sure the planes were diverted away from the area.

In Germany it is also illegal to fly them anywhere other than at model aeroplane aerodromes or in the countryside. Flying them in built up areas, especially over private propery aka houses, is illegal, as is flying near an airfield. I assume at least the latter is also the case in the UK.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:38 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
What sort of idiots are flying them around an airport full-stop.

It is possible that they could get sucked into the engine, and depending on size, could damage it - just look at incidents caused by flocks of birds.

But the aviation authorities report that as a near-miss, when two flying objects come too close and regardless of size, one has to take avoiding action. As the drone pilot wasn't in radio contact with the tower, that only left making sure the planes were diverted away from the area.

In Germany it is also illegal to fly them anywhere other than at model aeroplane aerodromes or in the countryside. Flying them in built up areas, especially over private propery aka houses, is illegal, as is flying near an airfield. I assume at least the latter is also the case in the UK.

There are rules here. No flying in built up areas, near airports, people, etc.. So basically that means you’re in the countryside. There are also flying height limits as well. You also can’t use the for commercial purposes unless you have taken a course - and that’s renewed every year at a cost of around £1000.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:33 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Sorry, when I read the title I thought Boris Johnson was holding a rally there, or something.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 am
What's a life?

With the recent escalation of terrorism and the threat of drones being used by terrorists, flying drones around airports is incredibly stupid. Certainly all drones should be shot down IMO (and maybe the operator too though that may be a step too far).

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]