Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
London tower block fire: Flames engulf Grenfell Tower 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Oh dear, it would appear it was a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer that started the fire - clickety.
I wonder how many more times they'll have stuff implicated in fires before the brand is irretrievably damaged.
They do seem to be jumping on this quickly though so maybe the rapid response will come across better than their previous efforts.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:53 pm

davrosG5 wrote:
Oh dear, it would appear it was a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer that started the fire - clickety.
I wonder how many more times they'll have stuff implicated in fires before the brand is irretrievably damaged.
They do seem to be jumping on this quickly though so maybe the rapid response will come across better than their previous efforts.

Just seen a company wide email about this, confirming the model no. of the appliance in question, just in case we're in a customer's home and they are worried about their fridge-freezer.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Spreadie wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

Just seen a company wide email about this, confirming the model no. of the appliance in question, just in case we're in a customer's home and they are worried about their fridge-freezer.

I know someone who works at the whirlpool customer service call centre in Peterborough. I don't think he's had a good day.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm

davrosG5 wrote:
Spreadie wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

I know someone who works at the whirlpool customer service call centre in Peterborough. I don't think he's had a good day.

No, I bet he hasn't. Must be all hands to the pumps at Peebo, which probably explains why I don't have a work schedule for Monday yet.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:17 pm
What's a life?

The fridge brand and or model is a massive piece of distraction. Residents had been complaining about power surges killing electrical equipment for months. It was pretty much inevitable at one point one of those failures would be catastrophic and cause a fire.

How the fire actually started doesn't matter. Whatever caused the fire if the place had been maintained properly and the renovations done with proper safety in mind, rather than at the absolute minimum price possible, the fire wouldn't have spread beyond the flat it broke out in because the building would still have had proper compartmentalisation. And if it had, they'd have had sprinkler systems to suppress it and fire alarms to get the residents out. And there wouldn't have been flammable cladding to spread the fire throughout the entire building in minutes via the exterior walls.

The fridge is utterly irrelevant. What is the problem is a council with £250 million in the bank skimping on a refurb because all it actually cared about was the property values in the surrounding luxury developmenst and thought the Grenfell residents were just an inconvenience. THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 pm
What's a life?

It seems both the chairman of Kensington & Chelsea council and the head of the building management company (that the council outsourced their housing department to) have resigned. The latter seems to have gone willingly, the former much more reluctantly.

Good. The council's reaction to the disaster and subsequent behaviour have been not so much well-meaning but shambolic as patently dismissive of the people they were supposed to be serving. Last night's attempt to hold a council meeting in private, having a High court judge tell them that really wasn't sodding on, then cancelling the meeting like a spoilt child really was just beyond the pale. Even if they did only actually give a crap about the rich people in the borough, the fact he wasn't smart enough to realise they couldn't act that way in the current situation makes him unsuitable for office. That along with revelation that the residents were given approval on the type of cladding and chose the fire resistant cladding which was then swapped for the cheaper, non fire resistant type without them being informed. This saved £300,000 for a council that had a surplus of over £200 million.

Note the man who managed the refurb project had no buildings, architecture or project management qualifications at all, but he is the son of an earl. That tells you all you need to know about K&CBC.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:32 pm
What's a life?

Apparently the rental DDs of grenfell victims are still active, and a number of them have been billed for rental on burned out properties. Prepare for stories about how K&CBC have been taking money from the accounts of dead people...

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:14 pm
Legend

Grenfell firefighters 'hampered by equipment' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40535417

Hopefully those speaking out will have done a world of good if that gets traction. It would have been so easy to say nothing.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2