Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Theresa May seeks general election 
Legend

Public sector pay cap under review, No 10 suggests - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40423052

Lol, I wonder if they're stupid enough to get into a fight with the unions... I bet they are. Corbyn already seems to have the Tories on the run ffs.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:18 pm
Spends far too much time on here

jonbwfc wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
Brexit can be delayed as long as they like there is only a 2 year window and the closer we get to that window the greater the chance we will leave without any agreement which suits me just fine. also Brexit is still the only game in town as they will not be able to push through any of their own extreme policies.

I'd agree with you on this up to about a week ago,but I've read some things and there are rumours of other possibilities. The Article 50 declaration can be revoked, with the unanimous agreement of the other member states. Rumours are the EU negotiators have been dropping some hints that such a thing is actually a viable option (you'd think 'not a cat in hell's chance' but apparently so), should negotiations wander on towards the deadline. Rumours also say the 'pro EU' wing of the Tory party - Ken Clark etc - are rumbling about pushing for it, on the basis that 'no deal' would cause significant and long term damage to the state and the economy and therefore falling out is very much not in the country's interests, and they'd have to carry the can for it and be out of government for a generation. So they may be saying 'we are definitely still leaving' right now, but apparently there are plans for a big lump of brinksmanship on both sides.

The point is, right now, we simply don't know what's going to happen. There are no precedents.

And yes, you might say, that's ignoring the will of people. But right now quite a lot of the tory party don't give much a toss for the will of the people. The will of the people as expressed last week gave them an awful lot of grief. Given the election result quite a few Tory MPs think they're on shaky ground, and they also don't think Ruth Davidson will be able to repeat her feats in Scotland now the SNP have put publicly IndyRef2 on the back burner after getting a kicking over it. So given most opinion is we'll have another election well before the five years is up, and there's a good chance when that happens they'll end up in opposition, they feel no great love for the population at large.

Politically, the election may not have changed the government, but it is thought to have changed the battlefield. Brexit wasn't factor in the election at all, and the Tories aren't likely to care near as much about it if it's something they can't use to stay in power.

None of this is determined, but all of this is possible.

MrStevenRogers wrote:
but we will wait and see as these are interesting times ...

That we do. I don't think I can predict where we'll be in 18 months with any certainty at all.

for this i have to give thanks to Gina Miller.
court cases where held at the British high court and Supreme courts by and on behalf of Gina Miller.
A50 had to placed before Parliament and be voted into British law. also passed in the HoL.

A50 is now law and can only be revoked under British law by an act of Parliament.
the EU have no say whatsoever in this now. thank you Gina Miller ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonbwfc wrote:
I'd agree with you on this up to about a week ago,but I've read some things and there are rumours of other possibilities. The Article 50 declaration can be revoked, with the unanimous agreement of the other member states. Rumours are the EU negotiators have been dropping some hints that such a thing is actually a viable option

One reason is the big hole in EU finances - on the BBC site yesterday they are talking about a E10 Billion hole (IIRC) over the next funding cycle which they will need to either fill (and that almost leaves just Germany and France to pick up the bill) or to reduce payments esp CAP payments

So IF we did want to stop/ retract Article50 if they chose to not do it it would be a real case of "biting off your nose to spite your face"

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 am

MrStevenRogers wrote:
i wonder if this has any bearing on so many younger people voting ...

Quote:
Nigel Farage says Labour benefited from students voting TWICE at election.

the large increase in youth vote is believed to have had a considerable effect on Labour’s surge in vote share – and the Tories’ disastrous result.

The Express.co.uk has contacted the Electoral Commission for a comment.

should prove interesting ...

a bit of an update on this ...

Quote:
The government has signalled that it will review election rules after an MP claimed students are openly boasting about voting twice in the election.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... -electoral

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

MrStevenRogers wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
i wonder if this has any bearing on so many younger people voting ...

Quote:
Nigel Farage says Labour benefited from students voting TWICE at election.

the large increase in youth vote is believed to have had a considerable effect on Labour’s surge in vote share – and the Tories’ disastrous result.

The Express.co.uk has contacted the Electoral Commission for a comment.

should prove interesting ...

a bit of an update on this ...

Quote:
The government has signalled that it will review election rules after an MP claimed students are openly boasting about voting twice in the election.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... -electoral

The Express... and the source is Nigel Farage... Yeah.

It a wonder no other paper is carrying this story, with such a credible source.

Keep on kipping.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am

Quote:
The Express... and the source is Nigel Farage... Yeah.

It a wonder no other paper is carrying this story, with such a credible source.

Keep on kipping.

first the Mail now the Express maybe i should get a quote from my paid account at the Guardian.
i cant because its not being reported on certain news outlets other then the Express and the Mail.

also please note this matter has been raised in the HoC and is being reviewed by the electoral commission.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 am
What's a life?

if the students who voted twice turn out to be from a metropolitan former poly - arrests, scandal, people being jailed
If the students who voted twice turn out to come from oxbridge - just youthful enthusiasm, nothing to see here.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9