Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Theresa May seeks general election 
Spends far too much time on here

paulzolo wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
The Conservative party has always been ruthless, but it has also always been pragmatic. They may not want Theresa May (in all likelihood they probably never did) but they also know that chucking her over the side now isn't going to go down well - not because she has a lot of personal support but because it looks like heaping more uncertainty on a country that they've pretty much destabilised entirely for their own ends as it is.

I liken May’s ascension to leader of the Tory party to that oft-used scene in a comedy (usually of a military basis) where a volunteer is called for, and everyone apart from one (who may not be paying much attention,m or is just a bit slower) steps one pace backwards.

The Tory parry leadership contest was a staring competition - and May blinked. No one actually voted for her, there was no final round in their leadership selection process. Everyone else just stood down from it. I expect they know that it was a mess in the making. Whoever won would preside over a truly damaging period for the Conservative Party, and would be responsible for a period of real instability for the country. The thinking was probably that they’d get a serous kicking at the General Election following Brexit (which would be 2020), and the Tories would be much reduced in status and power for a good decade or so. Who’d want that?

So May got the gig. She probably tossed her hat in the ring because the likelihood of Gove or Johnson winning was pretty high, and she knew she wouldn’t have a bat in hell’s chance of winning with those in the running.

This year’s election was not about consolidating power or a mandate, it was about shifting the next election a few years on after Brexit. She gambled, and lost.

The DUP is a problem, and I’m hoping that Sinn Fein see an opportunity and take their seats at Westminster. If they do, then the balance of power shifts away as they could cancel out any DUP votes. No one in their right mind in the Labour party would ask them publicly to do so, but I wonder if channels are open in private.

I think what all that quite neatly underlines is that all the senior figures in the party (including Gove and Johnson) know that Brexit is going to be an utter [LIFTED] catastrophe of quite epic proportions. I have still seen absolutely nothing to indicate that anyone responsible for the negotiations on our side has even the slightest clue what they are doing or what they are aiming for.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Sinn Fein could become the kingmakers in the Republic, which would smooth the way for their natural voters to accepting Westminster. But it's a while off yet.

From an NI unionist perspective, I don't want Jezza anywhere near SF.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 am
Legend

I see Farron has quit after Paddick had trouble with his views and quit earlier.

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 pm

i wonder if this has any bearing on so many younger people voting ...

Quote:
Nigel Farage says Labour benefited from students voting TWICE at election.

the large increase in youth vote is believed to have had a considerable effect on Labour’s surge in vote share – and the Tories’ disastrous result.

The Express.co.uk has contacted the Electoral Commission for a comment.

should prove interesting ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Alternatively, Nige is desperate to still appear relevant and will make up any old [LIFTED] to try and get in the headlines.
If this was indeed true the Tories would be screaming very loudly about it - it would have lost them the majority they were after. It would be major electoral fraud.

Also, his comments about young people and Marxism are hysterical. Yes, the Labour manifesto is left wing but it's hardly Marxist. Trust me, I know several Marxists and while they approve of the direction of travel it definitely isn't a Marxist manifesto.
What it, and more importantly the election result, does is move the centre ground back towards the left (or middle depending on your point of view) after years, even decades, of it drifting to the right. It gave traditional Labour voters who may have drifted over to UKIP or the SNP in Scotland a reason to vote for Labour again.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:42 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
Alternatively, Nige is desperate to still appear relevant and will make up any old [LIFTED] to try and get in the headlines.
If this was indeed true the Tories would be screaming very loudly about it - it would have lost them the majority they were after. It would be major electoral fraud.

Also, his comments about young people and Marxism are hysterical. Yes, the Labour manifesto is left wing but it's hardly Marxist. Trust me, I know several Marxists and while they approve of the direction of travel it definitely isn't a Marxist manifesto.
What it, and more importantly the election result, does is move the centre ground back towards the left (or middle depending on your point of view) after years, even decades, of it drifting to the right. It gave traditional Labour voters who may have drifted over to UKIP or the SNP in Scotland a reason to vote for Labour again.

It gives us a proper choice. For a long time, it has been hard to tell the difference between parties. They have all been chasing the same demographic (older people in unsafe seats), and their policies have all reflected that - to a point where the arguments are about implementation rather than course of action.

We need a real choice - and it seems that Labour have provided that, and *shock horror* people seem to like that other option. It does seem that some pundits (and Farage is just a pundit now) just can”t cope with that. It’s not their safe “raw capitalism is good” world view.

Farage is clearly desperate to get his mug on the telly as much as possible. He was gurning down various cameras last Friday, and I expect he’ll continue to do this. His moment, however, has passed.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 am

davrosG5 wrote:

wherever you like him or not, wherever you agree with him or not, wherever you believe him or not is subjective as on the most part he has been proven right more times then proven wrong.

as a side note.
it looks like (rumour control here) the LibDems maybe willing to make a deal with the Govt. after the DUP deal is settled ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:47 pm

MrStevenRogers wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

wherever you like him or not, wherever you agree with him or not, wherever you believe him or not is subjective as on the most part he has been proven right more times then proven wrong.

as a side note.
it looks like (rumour control here) the LibDems maybe willing to make a deal with the Govt. after the DUP deal is settled ...

Isn't he up to 7 failed attempts to get elected as an MP?

Also, whilst he may have been on the "winning" side regards Brexit and Trump, that doesn't make him right. Both of those causes were so utterly wrong as to be insane, but people will persist in voting for leopards eating faces.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:

I believe there's an old phrase that starts 'if you fling enough [LIFTED] at the wall...' Anyway, being right some of the time is no use. Given a 50-50 decision you'll get half of them right simply at random. Especially when 'right' is subjective. I would suspect 'right' in this case is much more 'says something I believe to be true based on my opinion rather than any specific evidence' than 'says something which is later born out by objective fact'.

We need the people making the decisions to base those decisions on confirmed evidence and proper examination. I see no evidence of that happening very often with Mr. Farage. This is the man who, we'll remember, claimed he was late for a meeting because the motorway he was travelling on was clogged up by immigrants.

Quote:

What on earth would be the point of that? If the conservatives and the DUP come to deal there will be a majority government, albeit a slim majority. What would the LDs have that the Torys care about, and what could the Torys offer the LDs in return for their support? The LDs would be offering to ally with a party with which they have very little politically in common, who don't really want or need them, and with whom their last alliance almost lead to their political obliteration. This would be a case of the LDs picking up the shotgun again and blowing off the other foot.

The time for the LDs to make an offer to the Torys was before the negotiations with the DUP started, or possibly afterwards if the talks break down (which doesn't look like it will happen as things stand right now). Plus right now the LDs don't even have a party leader or in fact any leadership structure at all. Exactly who is saying this and who is going to negotiate with the Torys on their behalf?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 pm
Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw

Saw that coming a mile out... There won't be a return to violence from anyone, that's a bogeyman story, but it could absolutely derail Stormont.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:58 pm
What's a life?

The Guardian interviews Lord Buckethead

Quote:
“Could I negotiate Brexit better than Theresa May and David Davis? Yes,” he said of the suggestion. “Could a slightly mouldy pain au chocolat negotiate Brexit better than Theresa May and David Davis? Yes. So yes I could, but whether I should is another matter.”

:D. Talking more sense than anyone in the government is right now.

Also noticed Jeremy Corbyn appeared on the main stage at Glastonbury this afternoon, and got what is estimated to the fourth biggest crowd they've ever seen. Which means more than Oasis did in their prime...

Jon

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
Also noticed Jeremy Corbyn appeared on the main stage at Glastonbury this afternoon, and got what is estimated to the fourth biggest crowd they've ever seen.

F***ing hipsters and hangers-on - I bet not one of them has any of his albums!

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 pm
What's a life?

Spreadie wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
Also noticed Jeremy Corbyn appeared on the main stage at Glastonbury this afternoon, and got what is estimated to the fourth biggest crowd they've ever seen.

F***ing hipsters and hangers-on - I bet not one of them has any of his albums!

To be fair, he did more of his big hits than Radiohead did. I much prefer his early stuff of course.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 pm
What's a life?

And this evening Rdaio 5 have a phone in which is 'Is Jeremy Corbyn's popularity with the young just a myth?'

F's sake you clowns, 75% of people under 25 who voted voted labour. If only the young got to vote he'd have the biggest majority in recorded history. It isn't the the whole story but you'd need to literally have had your head in a bucket full of sand for the last year to say it was a myth.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 pm

To be fair, even though Corbyn seems atypical of MPs (inasmuch as he doesn't appear to be a baby-eating, hateful bastard), running against Theresa May would lend the glow of righteousness to anyone up to and including Harold Shipman.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next