Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
BT Openreach deal aims to shakeup UK broadband 
Legend

BT Openreach deal aims to shakeup UK broadband - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39228115

Hopefully customers will get access to better services eventually, but if you think BT won't still be operating a scam you haven't been paying attention over the last decade or two. I predict any assistance etc will be at a snail's pace while customers bills go through the roof as they're forced to be seen acting.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm
What's a life?

It's a small rodent coughing worth of shakeup, when what it needs is an earthquake.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:52 pm
What's a life?

In other news,

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/1 ... t_network/

The German state Government has started a scheme to roll out gigabit broadband across the whole country, using a mixture of fibre and 5G networks.

We are already on a 100mbps connection, although I haven't seen a need to go above 50mbps at the moment. Given that even 4K streaming doesn't bring the 50mbps to its knees, I don't see a justification for the extra money for 100mbps.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
We are already on a 100mbps connection, although I haven't seen a need to go above 50mbps at the moment. Given that even 4K streaming doesn't bring the 50mbps to its knees, I don't see a justification for the extra money for 100mbps.

I guess they are thinking of families with 2 kids in their rooms also streaming 4K to their TV's

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Doesn't Netflix recommend around 25 Mbps for 4k streaming.
One of those an nice big file download could certainly impact a 50Mbps connection.
Also assuming that the majority of people have actually kept their home networking gear and devices relatively up to date - otherwise it won't really make much difference how fast the internet connection is if folk are still trying to use if on the end of a Wireless-N connection two rooms away from the router or whatever.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]