Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
More than 600 laptops and 83 iPads stolen from BBC 
Legend

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/d ... tops-ipads

So clearly there's an agenda with the 'think tank', but WTF are the Beeb gonna do about it? Even the stolen items sign was stolen FFS!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm
Site Admin

How many of those items were lost by staff taking them home (i.e. Left in a pub or taxi when out drinking) then claimed as stolen?
Or just taken by staff who left as a leaving present to themselves?

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Legend

saspro wrote:
How many of those items were lost by staff taking them home (i.e. Left in a pub or taxi when out drinking) then claimed as stolen?
Or just taken by staff who left as a leaving present to themselves?

That's just what I was thinking, but considering how they're funded, the Beeb clearly has a problem either way.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:51 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I wonder how the Beeb compares to other organisations of similar size though. Or how about a couple of government departments for that matter.
Plus those figures are over a 5 year period.

There is obviously room for improvement, especially given the BBC's principle funding source but I suspect they don't actually compare that badly to organisations of similar size with the massive geographical spread they have.
I would also question how much it would cost to implement sufficient security precautions to make a serious dent in the problem over and above what the BBC already spends on the security of its properties and staff.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:20 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
I wonder how the Beeb compares to other organisations of similar size though. Or how about a couple of government departments for that matter.

There can't be many businesses in the UK that are both that big and that spread around - the BBC has offices in most major cities, no purely commercial business would operate like that because they don't need to. Maybe the big retailers like M&S have a similar amount of staff in a similar number of distinct locations but their business operations don't require as many individual items of IT kit, at least not kit that's easily nickable for resale. Various reports suggest most government departments lose/have stolen etc roughly 100-200 laptops/tablets per year, so 600 in five years is actually towards the low end.

You could ask now many 'the NHS' loses, but in reality the NHS probably doesn't really exist in those terms any more. You'd have to ask each CCCG individually and then total the figures up.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]