Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Gadget jargon still confuses many 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

BBC clicky

This reminded me of what the last PC/Mac debate turned into, about should we educate the user or make the Os more simple?

Should users be educated on using technology and the terms that come with it? For example when I got my new phone, I started to learn about some of the new features my previous phone coming from around the turn of the century)
Are they just buzz words that people misinterpret? Is it an Ethernet cable? No, I can do Ethernet over fiber..

Should technology 'dumb down' for it's users?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Nope, users should smarten up if they wanna truley understand.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:54 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I guess it depends on your level of use and your "need to know" ness. I don't understand a lot fo the jargon that my fella uses when he's talking about computer stuff, network stuff, etc, but when he explains it in terms of the results, or what the thing actually does, I understand it a lot better. I have no real need to know or be able to spout the jargon, but I have a degree of being able to "do" without really understanding the whys and wherefors.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:17 pm
Has a life

See above.

I guess it all depends on how much you know about a particular subject. There are many phrases in sport that go straight over my head for example, but in terms of techno jargon I consider myself to be somewhere in the middle. I suppose if unnecessary babble is being used by businesses to make a sale then something is certainly wrong there, but dumbing down for the sake of dumbing down seems a little off to me.

Incidentally, anyone notice how wikipedia was being linked for 'dictionary' definitions of words? For something the media like to report as being unreliable, seems a little odd they didn't just link to an actual dictionary.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:16 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

KRKux wrote:

I agree with that.

Back in the old days, gadgets were something for the geeks to play with, but now they are so ingrained into our society there is no excuse for not understanding what you are using.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 am
Profile WWW

I look at it this way. If my Dad need some help over the phone and I say "plug the ethernet cable in" and he understands it, then thats good enough for me. Does he really need to know its actually a CAT5e UTP cable with RJ45 connector to make the technology work?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

gavomatic57 wrote:
KRKux wrote:

I agree with that.

Back in the old days, gadgets were something for the geeks to play with, but now they are so ingrained into our society there is no excuse for not understanding what you are using.

Yes and no. The whole point of said gadgets is to make many things easier, they don't need to be understood by the sheep, just the shepherd.

If the sheep understand which way to go the shepherd loses his flock (we don't get paid).

Hobgob.

Nietzsche wrote:
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:08 pm

You don't need to be a first class car mechanic to drive a car. The car still needs to be built, serviced, filled with fuel, oil checked, tyres checked etc. Depending on your skill level, some of these things you'll do yourself.

My mum knows how to change a tyre and check the levels, but she'd never actually do it herself. She's elderly and has arthritis, and her hubby is a capable mechanic. She still wouldn't drive on the rims with sparks flying everywhere and smoke pouring out the back like a lot of people seem to drive their PC. :?

If it's making a funny noise or keeps conking out, get it sorted. If a funny red light comes up on the dash, then get it seen to. You don't need to know why driving with no oil is bad, you just need to know the red light needs attending to!

My mum also wouldn't install a new radio, re-chip the engine or fit a body kit. If she wanted new stuff installing, she'd get a very nice person to do it for her.

If you want to treat a computer like an appliance, you can. It does what it does when you get it home. It has automatic updates enabled by default, and if you have broadband the most you'll need to do is plug in a wire or type in the password. Some people might even need help with that, but generally speaking the wire only fits in one hole and you really should know your own password.

If you want to add new features, then you need to know what you're doing. If you can't figure it out yourself, phone someone who can!

You can't "dumb down" computer-speak any more than you can dumb-down medical-speak or mechanic-speak. A doctor can't give you a prescription that says "something for a nasty tummy thing" and a mechanic can't order a new "gizmo thingy for the dash board whatsit" - they need to be specific.

I think the only needlessly complex language in our society is that used by lawyers, managers and accountants. I can never understand a word they say, and I'm sure they do it to "lock out" normal people. As to politicians, well we all know what "language" they talk...

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]