Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Swine Flu Pandemic? 
Spends far too much time on here

Quote:
UK homes to get swine flu advice
Leaflets about the swine flu outbreak and how to prevent its spread are to be delivered to every UK household.

makes me feel safer already …

also notice how this has taken all the news about bankers bonuses off the front page …

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:02 am

mars-bar-man wrote:
Meh, it's in the UK, looks like we're all dead now...

On a positive note, I heard a chav caught it?

Old news here, one of my wife's workmates had it last week. She's fine now.

A Mac User.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 am
What's a life?

Friends of the family have a daughter who was going to Mexico on her honeymoon, but that's been cancelled, obviously.
The BBC approached her to do use her in a story, she agreed. Later in the day the BBC rang to cancel it saying they'd been told not to whip it up so much.
Last night, practically the same story was run by ITV.

Oh, and a someone in my town has come down with it. Which is nice.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:50 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Aside from my other rather ill thought out posts here, I'll try and do this one with the utmost sincerity.

Right, my view? I don't think it's going to be as big as everyone may think, we're rapidly approaching the 'summer', if it's a good one, this virus will probably just die out, what time of year do most people get the flu? Winter. What else? Oh yeah, I really think if it was as serious as they're making out, IMO there would have been far more publicity about it. Much more awareness, what's the UK's stockpile of whatever anti-viral drug? Isn't the about £500,000? Surely that's not enough if it does become a pandemic. Another thing, how come it doesn't seem to be as serious outside of Mexico? Granted it's not as spread, but isn't the virus able to jump from human to human now? I'm more concerned about BSE tbh, it's slow incubation period means that in 10 years time, we're going to get screwed over by that instead. Ah well, planet's in the [LIFTED] anyway.

Feel free to pick this apart, or whatever, it's my opinion.

flickr

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 pm

mars-bar-man wrote:
...we're rapidly approaching the 'summer', if it's a good one, this virus will probably just die out, what time of year do most people get the flu? Winter.....

While I agree in general, this isn't actually true, Flu is no more common in Winter than any other time of the year. (Hey, you said pick it apart)

I also agree that (again) the media are making a mountain out of a molehill. I read somewhere (might have been here) that around 1000 people die from regular flu each month, what would it look like if the BBC went with the headline 'Killer Flu Kills 250 a Week!'

Sorry if this was already posted here, but I feel it's important to stay calm. ;)

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The Hamburg case has been confirmed as "normal" flu. *phew*

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile ICQ
Occasionally has a life

According to assorted experts on R4, Flu' pandemics wait until the "normal" time for us to get flu'. To put that a bit more clearly, if there is an outbreak in (say) Mexico in MEXICO's Winter, it will spread much more virulently in other countries where it is also Winter. In countries where it's Summer, the spread will be minimal. This is apparently based on epidemiological data gathered during previous 'flu' outbreaks....

UK currently has a stockpile of around 30,000,000 tamiflu (or equivalent) anti-virals that are supposed to work.... A vaccine against any specific strain will take about 4-6 months to get into sufficiently large production output to be useful, though the actual culture can be developed in a lot less time.

The big problem is apparently mutation so what starts out as a highly contagious, not deadly strain can mutate into highly contagious stone-cold killer. Similarly the H1N (bird flu') which was deadly but not very contagious can mutate into highly contagious etc. Of course mutations also work the other way and the deadlies become benign, and the contagious don't infect.....

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:21 pm

I think I'm right in saying it's not the influenza virus that kills, it's the complications it may cause when you're down with it.

Almost everyone that gets flu survives. Almost everyone has a built-in immunity to a typical flu virus. The important thing is not to get all hyped up - like the media right now :roll:. The usual treatments will help you if you think you have the virus, and it's best to stay away from other people to avoid spreading it too easily - though that's not simple when you're most contagious before you even know you have it!

I read somewhere today we've developed a "risk averse" society, as opposed to a "risk aware" one. It's not helped by news reports of 150 dead from suspected pig flu in Mexico. The bald truth is that only 20 of those have been confirmed pig flu cases.

Still, we all enjoy a good pandemic panic, don't we. :D

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:54 pm
Occasionally has a life

So... when this Swine Flu turns pandemic in Britain, and they close the public transport and schools... does that mean exams are cancelled xD

Sorry I always was mr positive, and live in hope... although seriously... wonder what they would do, I dont wanna sit in a room with 100 people who may have Flu.

:P :P

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 pm
Occasionally has a life

forquare1 wrote:
Back OT. We had an email doing the rounds at work today talking about it, apparently the company's emergency department is on the case and a help line has been opened for inquires...We got a list of symptoms and were told to call a doctor and to seclude ourselves if we thought we had the virus...

Shouldn't they be more worried about being eaten alive by Oracle? ;)

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Ben Goldacre's excellent take on the media coverage

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Vigil wrote:
I certainly hope this doesn't get worse. I'm travelling to China in the summer, so any pandemics and restrictions will be a right bummer.

On a slightly ranty note:

<soapbox>

IMO you're personifying nature too much :/A virus is just doing what it does best, replicating, mutating and surviving. Nothing's "out to get the human race" because we've been too successful and so needs to be humbled. The high population density and global travel just helps transmission. If anything, the virus "wants" to kill as few infected as possible as to spread itself more.

Nor should earthquakes, floods and famine be included in this "mother nature" figure ¬_¬. Stuff happens, sometimes humans cause it, sometimes it's out of our control.

</soapbox>

everything is out to get the human race and people are so ignorant they still dont belive in what is really going on :( I assumed this was most probably (guessing) the Illuminati's doing in an attempt at reducing the population, anyone infected will be advised the lethal "vaccination" (just guessing) but Im curious if anyone makes it after they have the so called "vaccine"

Quote:
The chance that its Swine Flue is man-made is 95% because:
1. It appeared suddenly this month.
2. It is a genetic mix of swine-bird-human
3. It is spreading on a non-flu time of the year
4. It is spreading rapidly, more so than regular flu

earthquakes, hurricanes, weather etc are all controlled too, have a look at HAARP:

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/gen.html

such a sick world we live in :(

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 pm
Occasionally has a life

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

I just phoned the NHS for advice on swine flu but there was just crackling on the line. I was pig sick, my own fault for hogging the line.

*Gets coat*

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:06 pm
Occasionally has a life

I'm crackling up.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next