The iPhone killer isn't a rival handset - it's O2 
Occasionally has a life

http://techradar.com/606764

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am
Profile WWW

I was just coming to post about this.
O2 under fire over iPhone upgrades

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Beat you to it, I've been rather miffed since last night. Don't look at my Twitter it's full of #O2fail hashtags. I love all the new features of the 3Gs but it seems they are only minor, really nice but minor. I think I will be dropping my tariff and go O2simplicity at the end of the contract and get the new one next year.

Wouldn't want to be PR for O2 right now.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Methinks O2 have just scored a big fat own goal.

Quote:
...the lack of upgrades is a bad idea is that by January, it'll only be five months before the next iPhone is due. Savvy iPhone fans aren't going to commit to an 18-month or 24-month lock-in if they think the 3GS is about to be replaced

Quote:
... iPhone sales are handset driven, not network driven: people are going with O2 because that's where the iPhone is, not because they necessarily want to be with O2. That means O2 is storing up a great deal of resentment that's bound to come back and bite it when its exclusive deal with Apple ends.

I left Vodaphone after many years of good service because I wanted the iPhone. If theres a better handset and its on a differing carrier Adios O2.
It was quite funny listening to the Vodaphone guy trying to stop me leaving. When I said I was going to O2, he replied "ahh getting the Iphone, sorry we cant beat that".

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am
What's a life?

Quote:
And they're angry that there's no upgrade path for the new iPhone 3GS. If you bought your iPhone 3G on the day of release last year, you won't be able to upgrade until January 2010 without paying to end your contract.

The people have signed an 18 month or 2 year contract, why are they surprised when they have to fulfill the terms of the contract?

My phone has also been superceded, but I can't upgrade it on contract for another 16 months. Okay, I could buy a PAYG version or a version at full cost, but I couldn't get it subsidised on my contract, until my contract comes up for renewal. Why should it be different, just because the 'phone has an Apple logo?

Is it annoying? Yes. Is it unfair? No. :?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Us original iphone users signed an 18month agreement which we were allowed to break when the 3G was released. Why isn't this happening again. O2 have had £420 in line rental & £180 for the phone off me already, I've downloaded less than 100MB in data & made less than 50 hours of calls surely letting us have the phone on another upgrade won't kill them.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

saspro wrote:
Us original iphone users signed an 18month agreement which we were allowed to break when the 3G was released. Why isn't this happening again.
The original iPhones were not subsidised, the 3G versions are, so that's why it's not happening in this case.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

big_D wrote:
Quote:
And they're angry that there's no upgrade path for the new iPhone 3GS. If you bought your iPhone 3G on the day of release last year, you won't be able to upgrade until January 2010 without paying to end your contract.

The people have signed an 18 month or 2 year contract, why are they surprised when they have to fulfill the terms of the contract?

My phone has also been superceded, but I can't upgrade it on contract for another 16 months. Okay, I could buy a PAYG version or a version at full cost, but I couldn't get it subsidised on my contract, until my contract comes up for renewal. Why should it be different, just because the 'phone has an Apple logo?

Is it annoying? Yes. Is it unfair? No. :?

I understand that the contract is for 18 months and they are well within their right, but Orange and T-mobile have always permitted me to upgrade after 12 months on an 18 month contract, providing you take out an extended contract and pay for a mobile if it's a bit more expensive than your plan. But to force early adopters to buy out their contract is insane, after all most customers are only with O2 for the iPhone.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

timark_uk wrote:
saspro wrote:
Us original iphone users signed an 18month agreement which we were allowed to break when the 3G was released. Why isn't this happening again.
The original iPhones were not subsidised, the 3G versions are, so that's why it's not happening in this case.

Mark

I know they're subsidised to an extent but I paid 50% of the cost of my phone, the £420 they've had from me so far should cover the rest 3 times over.

I'd get one on PAYG but they've uinflated the price to include 12 months of free internet (£120 worth) I don't need

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

I have a 3G with O2 and plan to upgrade to the 3GS 8 9.52%
I have a 3G with O2 and plan NOT to upgrade to the 3GS 55 65.48%
I have an original iPhone with O2 and plan to upgrade to 3GS 5 5.95%
I have an original iPhone with O2 and plan NOT to upgrade to the 3GS 6 7.14%
I don't have an iPhone and plan to sign up with O2 and get a 3GS 6 7.14%
I don't have an iPhone and still won't given these prices 4 4.76%

A poll taken from make rumours makes interesting speculation

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Dennis Magazines

DaftFunk wrote:

All that shows is what kind of people bothered entering the poll. It’s far from scientific.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
saspro wrote:

Mark

This is what O2 keep repeating on Twitter. If you are in an 18 month contract, that is what you agreed to.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm
Occasionally has a life

SAughton wrote:
DaftFunk wrote:

All that shows is what kind of people bothered entering the poll. It’s far from scientific.

Obviously not scientific, that's why I put "speculation".

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

DaftFunk wrote:

I fall into this bracket. I’m on PAYG, and so far I have not seen my use top out at anything near the cost of a monthly contract. So it’s financially stupid to do so.

The tethering feature isn’t a draw either. A look at O2’s site shows that for casual use, I’d be better off buying a PAYG dongle and buying a day or week’s worth of bandwidth if I take the thing on holiday.

It’s all economics with the decision here. Just too expensive to upgrade, and the benefits of the 3G S are not enough to tempt me.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:16 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I fail to see the point of all these moaners.

Last November I upgraded to my Sony Ericsson C905 with an 18 months contract. That means that In May of 2010 my contract will be finished and I will be released from it's hold.

I wouldn't start complaining if Orange didn't give me the next Sony Ericsson phone for free after having the contract for 12 months.

I wouldn't even think of asking for it (OK, maybe I'd ask but I wouldn't complain if they didn't).

So what's with all the whinging coming from iPhone users? If you wanted the better iPhone then wait until it's out and get it.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next