Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Oracle want to ban AJAX 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Quote:
Under Oracle's charge, Sun Microsystems will fuel PCs and phones with Java and JavaFX, challenging Google's Android on netbooks, Oracle's chief Larry Ellison has said.

Register Clicky

It's nice to have some direction here, but I think they are being arrogant. The interactive web language has been chosen. That said, I wouldn't mind giving JavaFX a go, I've not used AJAX and a familiar language would be nice...
They will need to get a plug-in for Eclipse, otherwise people won't use it, I personally dislike Netbeans.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:31 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I hate AJAX and I browse with Java and JavaScript disabled a lot, so it wouldn't bother me if it was banned...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Dave, as a consumer 'in the know', if you had to, would you rather use an AJAX or a Java web application? Or would you really not care?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I'd prefer signed Java. JavaScript is error prone, non-standard (do you code for Microsoft JScript or Mozilla's DOM or for Safari or Opera? It has standard definitions, but there are so many variations, especially on the DOM, that it is a real pain.

Then there is the problem of people using scripts from different domains... I surf with NoScript and it is amazing how many domains you have to authorise for some sights to work! I'd much rather that all the code comes from the domain I'm visiting!

From a programmers point of view, I much prefer to program in Java, it is an actual language, with proper constraints and controls, proper debugging and error checking, strong typing etc.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]