Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Does anyone have an EOS40D? 
Doesn't have much of a life

Hi.

I know that I said that I wouldn't buy Canon again, but my EOS300D performed OK during my two weeks of holidays, taking over 1500 pictures all for the price of the lens change button falling off. :roll: . This despite high humidity and frequently getting wet during the two or three showers/thunderstorms that we had almost every day.

Given that I currently have a Canon flash and three Canon lenses (one from my old 35mm), it would cost me a lot to go Nikon with a similar level of kit and so I was wondering whether I should give Canon another go- totally for financial reasons as I would rather set fire to my own- well never mind- in many other respects.

Having read a thorough review of both the EOS40D and EOS50D, it seems that the 40D is a better buy, especially now that it is an old model and can be found for pretty good prices compared to the latest 50D.

Does anyone have one, and what do you think of it?

Also, the 18mm-55mm EFS lens of my EOS300D is "dedicated" to the camera and I know that it doesn't mount on my old EOS500N 35mm. Does anyone know for certain whether it will mount on the 40D?

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sun May 31, 2009 2:50 pm

I think paulzolo has a 40D. If he doesn't surface, you could PM him and ask.

As the 40D is a small sensor camera, I am pretty sure all EF-S mount lenses will fit it, as well as the EF kit.

Good to know, despite your problems with it, you've decided you might stay with the Canon gang. :lol:

Sun May 31, 2009 3:11 pm
Occasionally has a life

I bought a 40D last year to replace my EOS 100 (yes, that's a film camera) and I'm really quite happy with it. It's performed admirably on numerous jaunts abroad and it's currently surviving the rigors of India. It does take the EFS lenses (I have a 17-55 ƒ2.8 attached to mine at the moment) although if you're worried about whether or not your lens will work, try taking it to a reseller and sticking it on one of the 40D bodies there just to be certain.

I can't really compare it to the 50D as the updated model was released just as I was buying mine and I didn't have time to wait for it to appear in the shops.

All up tho, I'm very happy with the 40D.

Sun May 31, 2009 3:40 pm

I have the 40D and am happy with it. Still getting to know it of course and can't for the life of me find the shutter delay (self timer). Operator error of course.

EFS lenses will fit - I have the 17-85, 28-135 and 100-400.

Prices are fair at the moment.

Al

Sun May 31, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks, everyone.

I have had a quick look around and will probably go with this one once I've checked the finances tomorrow- Clicky

There is a two lens bundle with an 18mm-55mm and 55mm-250mm, but both lenses together are cheaper than the 18mm-85mm one with the above package and I already have a 75mm-300mm (EF) lens, so I could save a few quid and consider another IS lens in the future.

I have to be (pretty) quick as that 40D is getting in short supply, so I'll order it this week. Providing it doesn't break down, I am thinking that I'll be very happy with it.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sun May 31, 2009 6:10 pm
What's a life?

trigen_killer wrote:
Hi.

I know that I said that I wouldn't buy Canon again, but my EOS300D performed OK during my two weeks of holidays, taking over 1500 pictures all for the price of the lens change button falling off. :roll: . This despite high humidity and frequently getting wet during the two or three showers/thunderstorms that we had almost every day.

Given that I currently have a Canon flash and three Canon lenses (one from my old 35mm), it would cost me a lot to go Nikon with a similar level of kit and so I was wondering whether I should give Canon another go- totally for financial reasons as I would rather set fire to my own- well never mind- in many other respects.

Having read a thorough review of both the EOS40D and EOS50D, it seems that the 40D is a better buy, especially now that it is an old model and can be found for pretty good prices compared to the latest 50D.

Does anyone have one, and what do you think of it?

Also, the 18mm-55mm EFS lens of my EOS300D is "dedicated" to the camera and I know that it doesn't mount on my old EOS500N 35mm. Does anyone know for certain whether it will mount on the 40D?

As Heather says, I have a 40D. It’s a great camera, and was a worthy update from my EOS 350D. For me, it’s a keeper for a long while yet. I have bulked it up with the battery grip, so it looks pretty chunky.

The EFS lenses are designed for the DSLRs with smaller frames. The S stands for "Short" and means that the lens is mounted closer to the sensor. The upside of this is that you don‘t have to multiply the focal length by 1.6 (IIRC) to get the real length. 10mm on your EF-S lens is 10mm.

So, to answer your question, your current lens will fit on the new camera. I was going to keep my 18-55 lens from my 350D, but the deal I got was to improve on that lens with one with all glass components (this was a deal at launch time) when I traded my old camera in.

As always, try to get hold of the Magic Lantern book for the EOS40D as well. It‘s a very well written “hidden manual” for the camera, and you will find it very helpful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-Magic ... 17&sr=8-21

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun May 31, 2009 9:49 pm

paulzolo wrote:
The EFS lenses are designed for the DSLRs with smaller frames. The S stands for "Short" and means that the lens is mounted closer to the sensor. The upside of this is that you don‘t have to multiply the focal length by 1.6 (IIRC) to get the real length. 10mm on your EF-S lens is 10mm.

I am not disputing that at all, but I haven't found anything to support it- This from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount Note the first table of lenses and equivalent focal lengths.

And this from Digital Photography Review

Quote:
The new EF-S 17 - 55 mm F2.8 IS is designed specifically for the dimensions of a 'cropped sensor' (1.6x crop) and hence can be made smaller than a 35 mm equivelant lens. It features a maximum aperture of F2.8 throughout the zoom range which means it's a faster alternative to other EF-S lenses. On an EOS 30D this lens would provide a 27.2 - 88 mm equivelant field of view.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022 ... 55f28g.asp Also note the table near to the bottom.

It seems, as detailed in these articles that the main advantages lie in size and cost reductions. Thanks for the input, Paul. If the 40D is a worthy upgrade to the 350D, then I hope to see a noticeable improvement over my even older 300D :)

My Flickr

Sun May 31, 2009 10:42 pm
Site Admin

The father-in-law has one and it's a great bit of kit (even if he does leave it on AF mode)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]