Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
What 'Stuff' You Got??? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

John_Vella wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
I guess the main question would be is it worth trying to use my existing lenses with a new DSLR or would I be better selling the lot and starting from scratch?
Well he upgraded the body from a D40 and kept his existing lenses.

Mark

Does the fact that I don't have a DSLR, (the F65 is a film camera) make any difference? I realise that I'd probably have to use manual focus, and I think I might have answered my own question there but do you think it's worth keeping the lenses or just ditching them and buying some that are deisgned for a digital camera?

Using my limited knowledge of Nikon cameras, John, I think the key factor is whether your lenses have Autofocus motors built in to them, or whether they require the motor to be in the camera. If the former then the D5000 sounds fine, but if not you need a body with an AF motor in it, unless you only want to use manual focussing.

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 pm

If you like the lenses you have you could keep them, but would most likely have to choose a higher spec camera to use the AF. If you are happy to MF this may not be an issue.

As you've checked the value of the lenses on eBay, then if you decide to sell them off you have a couple of options. Buy the kit you want with a discount, or buy the kit and get a few extras, such as an extra lens, memory, batteries or a combination.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm

John_Vella wrote:
do you think it's worth keeping the lenses or just ditching them and buying some that are deisgned for a digital camera?
Hmm, tough choice. I'm guessing you're looking at a body only prices, and only you know if you can stretch your budget to get a lens with the camera.
I think if I were you I'd try and ditch the manual focus lenses with the camera.
I don't know if this will help or hinder your decision making process but I have a lens that I could let you use as I very rarely use it and I wouldn't miss it at all.
I could take some shots with it on my mates D5000 so you can check them out if you like.

It's just an option.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
do you think it's worth keeping the lenses or just ditching them and buying some that are deisgned for a digital camera?
Hmm, tough choice. I'm guessing you're looking at a body only prices, and only you know if you can stretch your budget to get a lens with the camera.
I think if I were you I'd try and ditch the manual focus lenses with the camera.
I don't know if this will help or hinder your decision making process but I have a lens that I could let you use as I very rarely use it and I wouldn't miss it at all.
I could take some shots with it on my mates D5000 so you can check them out if you like.

It's just an option.

Mark

I like options! :D

If you could that would be great, thanks.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
Are you in a rush?
I'll likely not see him until Thursday next week.

Mark

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:19 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
Are you in a rush?
I'll likely not see him until Thursday next week.

Mark

Nope, no rush at all. :D

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

Having spoken to a nice man at Jacobs, it appears that the D5000 won't do auto focus, and I'd be better off getting the D90 body for about £450, which sounds like a plan to me... best get saving.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
Having spoken to a nice man at Jacobs, it appears that the D5000 won't do auto focus, and I'd be better off getting the D90 body for about £450, which sounds like a plan to me... best get saving.

That sounds like a good price from what I've seen recently. Always good to see that you get a second opinion on the important things. ;)

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:39 pm

John_Vella wrote:
I'd be better off getting the D90 body for about £450, which sounds like a plan to me...
So no need for test images on the D5000 then?

Mark

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
I'd be better off getting the D90 body for about £450, which sounds like a plan to me...

Mark

As long as they weren't manual focus lenses they would come out the same within reason.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 pm

timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Mark

Probably not, but thanks for the offer. It's always nice to know that there's a source of knowledge to fall back on :D

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
Probably not, but thanks for the offer.
The lens is still available if required.

Mark

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:00 am
Profile WWW

Went into Jacobs with my Nikon F65 and two lenses and asked the guy there for his honest opinion - stick with Nikon, (D90) and use the lenses or start from scratch and get the Canon EOS500D. He advised the NIkon, as the larger of the two lenses would be great, apparently.

So that's what I've got. The Nikon D90, a £20 remote trigger thing and an 8GB SD Card.

Mark, as a point of interest what is the lens you were talking about and how much would you be wanting for it, (assuming that you want to sell it, of course)?

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:13 pm
Profile WWW

More stuff: Got a Cokin P120 Gradual Neutral Grey filter, a P filter holder and a 62mm adapter ring, (or adaptor ring) if you prefer the badly spelt label on the packaging.

:D

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

A few weeks ago I bought a second-hand battery grip to go with my second 40D. The old one was going to cost a minumum of £60 to repair myself using bits purchased worldwide but the DVDC (Dangerous Volcano Dust Cloud) has put paid to any hope of getting stuff shipped from abroad so I bought another one second hand for £70 :D

Al

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next