Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Compact camera with HD 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I've said before on another thread I dont have a camera for the old 'point and shoot' snapshots e.g. on a night out. I cant exactly carry the DLSR around everywhere.

I had an idea to get the Sony Ericsson C905 (upgrade due this month) as a substitute. Yes its never going to be as good as a 'proper' camera but a decent comprimise seeing as Orange would give me it free.

Then the Samsing i8910HD came along with its fancy AMOLED screen, 8mp camera and 720p (H.264 I think). So thats thrown a bit of video into the mix. Again it wont be as good as a 'proper' device but looks ok from what I've seen. It would certainly be good enough anyway for what I wanted it for.

Orange though have decided to charge a shocking amount for the Samsung which means paying out £100 on a £35 contract or on my current tariff the best part of £200 or more. The C905 is also out of stock.

All this has made me wonder if I shouldn't bother with the hassle and just buy a compact! I could even fund 75% of the cost by selling whatever phone I get for the upgrade and keeping the K800i.

Here's the question then. What compacts are worth considering for around £200 with HD video function? I found the Samsung WB500 for £200 and with an 8-16GB SD card is an option but I dont think it has the overall quality of some of its 'superzoom' rivals. Any other options? (£220 max)

Fri May 22, 2009 10:54 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Never mind. the missus met me after work and we saw the WB500 in Jacobs window for £199. She bought me it!

It's still charging so havent had a chance to use it yet.

I am slightly dissappointed about video output though. From what I can make out its only the WB550 that has HDMI output on the camera to play directly into a TV. The WB500 looks like standard def via the AV cable of 720p content has to be transferred to the PC via USB. Unless anyone knows any different?

Fri May 22, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]