Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Selling myself short? 
Occasionally has a life

I'm in a bit of a bind here. I've been approached by a major organisation to contribute material to a website. That isn't anything new as a lot of my income has, at times, come from freelance writing. However, they are also interested in using my images and this is my bind: their rate is - to be honest - pathetically low at about £6.50 per image. Now, normally I would laugh and tell them to pull the other one as it has bells on it, especially as the organisation in question is a very large concern and can afford to pay many times £6.50 for an image.

However, they will credit the image and possibly link to my website (I'm yet to negotiate this bit and they may say no to a link).

So, do I whore myself out for a token fee and the promise of a credit/link or keep my self respect and tell them to take a walk?

Wed May 20, 2009 5:02 pm

rubicon wrote:
So, do I whore myself out for a token fee and the promise of a credit/link or keep my self respect and tell them to take a walk?
Well, it all depends on the traffic the site gets.
If you don't know this information yourself, ask the people who own/run it. I'd even go so far as to say that what they are offering is much lower than what it should be but dependant on the traffic it generates you would like to consider the offer very carefully.
Clearly, you're currently in two minds about doing this, so any information they can provide you is in their best interests, not yours, as you'll only be making a pittance out of it.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 pm
Profile WWW

Also, you'd need exactly how the images are going to be used. If they're going to be used on any promo. material as well as any other medium, as well as the exact resolution of the images and size of the images they'd be looking for.

Mark

Wed May 20, 2009 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Good points Mark. Suffice to say the organisation involved (I can't say who yet because of an NDA - the site hasn't launched yet) is a global media player, so not short of a penny or traffic.

Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm

There's also exclusive use. At the price they are willing to give you for the images I'd want to retain all rights and usage of the images myself.
If they want exclusivity, let them pay for the privilege.
If they want images that you consider to be among the best in your portfolio I'd tell them this and I'd also ask for more money regarding those specific items.

If they are going to play silly buggers with paying you the going rate, the very least you can do is make them jump through hoops.

Mark

Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Whatever you do, especially at that price, have it very firmly written in whatever form of contract/agreement that you have that the organisation can only use the photographs on page x and y. Have it in such language as there is no way of getting round it.

Companies, especially big ones with a massive legal team, will take a mile if you give them an inch in that regard. And once they're gone, they're gone. You may not even have the right to display your work any more. Although that's a worst-case scenario.

theChipmunk

P.S. Good work - if they're that big, you must have some talent indeed to get netted!

Sat May 23, 2009 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]