Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Lens/Sensor cleaning 
Has a life

I use a small cloth i got in a kit for a computer case designed to clean the glossy front panel. It does a perfect job of it. Feels much like one for glasses - probably the same. As for the sensor, i've not had to do it yet.

The focusing screen was interesting though, just wiped it over with the cloth to get 2 very dark specs off, pain in the arse to get at though.

Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 pm

An update on my cleaning progress. I tried three times to clean the sensor. I was using an air blower and a soft brush.

First attempt was to blast the dust away, but it's stubborn stuff. Nothing had moved. At all.

Next, I used the soft brush to gently wipe down the sensor (top to bottom), followed by another blast from the blower. I had managed to move some of the particles, but they were still there. In future, I think I'll use a flat brush rather than a pointed one. That way I'll cover the sensor more effectively.

Finally, I tried the brush and blower routine again. The dust remained. I couldn't even see the dust using a magnifier, but there it was on the image.

(I checked for dust by stopping right down to ƒ/22 and defocussing a piece of white paper under a strong lamp.)

So, I'm about to shell out for the sensor cleaning kit, and I'll report back on that in due course.

The first time I locked the mirror up to see the sensor was a bit, well, scary. I wasn't sure what to expect, or why I should have been worried about it. It's just a thing down there in the depths of the body. It's surprisingly hard to actually get at, and there's no free space around it to "sweep" dust into. By the third time, I was getting quite at ease with flipping up the mirror and peering into the machine, so using a "proper" cleaning system holds no real fear for me. Actually, I think it's the worry the battery might die and the reflex system flip back that worries me most. Either use a mains adaptor (if you have one) or a fully fresh charged battery before trying this routine.

Sun May 17, 2009 8:41 am
Doesn't have much of a life

For your perusal Heather...

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

I use the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse 2 fluid. It's daunting the first time but if you use the blower first any 'sharp' bits of dust will be removed. Careful you don't flood the swab - it can leave streak marks but they don't show on the pics. I like to use a dry swab after the wet one which finishes off the job nicely.

Google for vids once you've bought your system - there's loads of them. Best of luck.

Al

Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 am
Occasionally has a life

Good luck Heather, I'll soon be following you in the lens-cleaning malarkey. I might skip the blower/brush combo and go straight to the cleaning kit. I have one particularly annoying bit of dust that's becoming a right PITA. Luckily (sort of) I won't have time to do much snapping for the next few weeks so I won't have to do too much surgery in PS to rescue images.

Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 pm

onemac wrote:
For your perusal Heather...

Very interesting and highly useful. I've added it to the Hints and Tips links thread.

Sun May 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Okay, I got the Dust-Aid Platinum kit t'other day. I got round to actually cleaning last night.

I posted in my blog (see sig) about it, but let's say it was a qualified success. There are some stubborn specks which will need a more intensive clean than the silicon pad system can deal with. Luckily, they're mainly in the lower third which often has plenty of detail which hides them nicely.

I am no longer scared of cleaning my camera. The doings inside are actually pretty robust, if handled carefully.

Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 am
What's a life?

Interesting, but a scary idea - doing it myself. So far, I’ve not noticed any spots. My camera does have some kind of cleaning system which I assume is keeping all but the really nasty goo form the sensor.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am

I vigourously cleaned the front of my 14-24mm lens and so far I've seen no spots.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am
Profile WWW

paulzolo wrote:
Interesting, but a scary idea - doing it myself. So far, I’ve not noticed any spots. My camera does have some kind of cleaning system which I assume is keeping all but the really nasty goo form the sensor.

So does mine, but it's obviously not completely successful.

Honestly, it's not scary. Just a deep dark hole with something expensive and critical at the bottom. :mrgreen:

Tue May 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Dust Aid - Heather, nnnoooooooooooooooo...

see here

And my mate just stripped the sensor (or cover) of his 20D using the good old Platinum :(

Al :shock:

Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Doug Pardee wrote:
On the 20D, as on most Canon DSLRs (excluding the 5D, XTi/400D, and 1DmkIII), the top layer of the sensor "stack" is a glass cover with a dichroic coating that acts as a hot mirror to reflect infrared. That glass cover is supposed to be installed with the coating on the sensor side.
HK has a 400D, AFAIK, so should be OK. I need to give my camera/lenses a good clean sometime.

Edd

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Edd's right, I have a 400D. It looks like the 20D had some QC issues with the factory assembly from that thread.

No sign of any damage on my camera. I'm considering a "wet clean" system to get those stubborn specks sorted, but I'm not panicking.

Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 pm
What's a life?

Sensor cleaning eh?

*pops new roll into camera*

Tada!
;)

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue May 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Oh-ho! Been there when there was some dust in the film path. Lovely scratches all across each frame. :x

Tue May 26, 2009 1:44 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
Edd's right, I have a 400D. It looks like the 20D had some QC issues with the factory assembly from that thread.

Agreed but other threads indicate the opposite (will try and find them).

HeatherKay wrote:
No sign of any damage on my camera. I'm considering a "wet clean" system to get those stubborn specks sorted, but I'm not panicking.

I had a good rake round the tinternet before I decided on my cleaning system. Way back then almost every model of Canon cameras had issues with the dust-aid process. Liken it to comments on the 'Scotch Tape' method :o

To be fair, there were some issues with the 'wet swipe' methods as well but the success rate was higher so I went with it. As long as you are careful most methods should work.

Al

Tue May 26, 2009 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next