Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Which Nikon? 
What's a life?

onemac wrote:
Adjusting all the settings so that they're similar and shooting in RAW, the difference is quite amazing - I favour the Sony until it goes above ISO200 then it's Canon all the way.

:? Isn't that most of the time then?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
Isn't that most of the time then?
I think I was shooting at ISO 100 pretty much for the entire weekend.
I know others that like to shoot at ISO 50.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Curious. Must be a digital thing.
I tend to use 100 for landscapes, maybe some portraiture in the future, 200-400 for general daytime stuff, and then the 800 - 1600 for the evening work.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 pm
Occasionally has a life

Even when I used film, I tended to stick to slower ISO speeds; most of the time I used Velvia at 50 or 100 ISO. With the 5D2 I use 100 most of the time, but speed up if I can't hand-hold a shot where a tripod isn't appropriate. When I'm using continuous mode with AF Servo, the camera is set to Auto ISO so some of the shots from Northern Ireland (e.g. the waves) are at 500 or higher.

Tue May 05, 2009 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I spend most of my time shooting without a tripod, so the faster the film, the less likely I'm going introduce shake.
This was done on 800, this on 200, and this was on some 100.

Each have their own feel, but had I tried doing the VW stuff on a 100 roll, it would have been a waste of time.
So, would you still have gone on a 100 setting for that? It was about 9.30pm, you can probably spot the light sources available.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Tue May 05, 2009 4:05 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

onemac wrote:
My feeling is that I would be happy with any gear until my mate recently went from Nikon to Canon. He reckoned the iq was better and also the autofocus (aviation so fast moving stuff). When you really look deeply at sports events, the majority of gear you can see is Canon but the majority of the remaining media use Nikon.

Interesting. As one of my favourite subjects is aircraft, there's something to think about- but with my track record with their products, I WILL NOT go Canon again.

Interestingly enough, I've just had a look at the Nikon equivalent of my Canon 75mm-300mm lens and it's about twice the price. Now is that because they are superior in any way, or are these inflated prices?

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm
Occasionally has a life

ProfessorF wrote:
I spend most of my time shooting without a tripod, so the faster the film, the less likely I'm going introduce shake.

Each have their own feel, but had I tried doing the VW stuff on a 100 roll, it would have been a waste of time.
So, would you still have gone on a 100 setting for that? It was about 9.30pm, you can probably spot the light sources available.

I don't have permission to view the large size of that VW shot, but in answer to your question, yes, I would have used 100 with a tripod. But that's just me.

Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

ProfessorF wrote:

I like the two boat pic, very nice and atmospheric 8-) :D

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Tue May 05, 2009 6:07 pm
What's a life?

nickminers wrote:
I don't have permission to view the large size of that VW shot, but in answer to your question, yes, I would have used 100 with a tripod. But that's just me.

Weird, you should have the permission to do so. :?
Yeah, if I had the sticks out with me, then maybe I would have. I rarely carry them though - perhaps I'll break out a roll of the new Ektar 100 in the fridge and see what's what. :)

Oh, and cheers bobbdobbs.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 pm
Occasionally has a life

timark wrote:
Why not save a little longer and get yourself a D3 or a little longer still and get a D3x? (8+)
You know you want to.
I for one am only Mortal and will certainly not live that long! ;)

Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 pm

nvj1662 wrote:
timark wrote:
Why not save a little longer and get yourself a D3 or a little longer still and get a D3x? (8+)
You know you want to.
I for one am only Mortal and will certainly not live that long! ;)

:lol: :lol:

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Tue May 05, 2009 8:29 pm

trigen_killer wrote:
onemac wrote:
My feeling is that I would be happy with any gear until my mate recently went from Nikon to Canon. He reckoned the iq was better and also the autofocus (aviation so fast moving stuff). When you really look deeply at sports events, the majority of gear you can see is Canon but the majority of the remaining media use Nikon.

Interesting. As one of my favourite subjects is aircraft, there's something to think about- but with my track record with their products, I WILL NOT go Canon again.

Interestingly enough, I've just had a look at the Nikon equivalent of my Canon 75mm-300mm lens and it's about twice the price. Now is that because they are superior in any way, or are these inflated prices?

That's exactly what tipped the favour Canons way for me. But lots of the aviation chaps use Nikon (or Canon) + Sigma lenses with no problem - the 70-300 APO DG I don't think can be beaten for the money but like you and Canon, I can't really go back to Sigma lenses.

If you don't mind second hand stuff keep looking HERE for the occasional bargain. My mate got his Nikon gear from here and he's well pleased with it.

Al

Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 pm
Has a life

Edd wrote:
Mark wrote:
I handled a 5D MkII at the weekend. (8+)

I did back in December, very, *very* tentatively!

I was in the Calumet store in Belfast after visiting Musgrave Park Hospital...the guy was really nice - I was trying out a D700, but then I asked if I could have a look at the Hasselblad H3D-50 sitting on the shelf. Now, fair play, he would have been fully within his rights to refuse, since there's no way I could have afforded the camera, but he let me have a play with it, which was very generous.

However, instead of picking it up, I sort of crouched over the counter, holding it no more than around one or two centimetres off the top of it and sort of held it like it was an egg... :D

Brilliant camera, though. What amazed me was that it was noticeably lighter with an 80mm lens, back, batteries, viewfinder etc than a D700 with an 85mm lens on. :O

theChipmunk

Mon May 18, 2009 11:59 am
Occasionally has a life

theChipmunk wrote:
Now, fair play, he would have been fully within his rights to refuse,

No, he wouldn't! He has no idea how much money you have, and if he did refuse he's just be a snob and you'd spread the word, so it'd be bad for business. You do yourself a disservice - you'd be well within your rights to take a Porsche for a test drive if you wanted to.

Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile WWW

nickminers wrote:
You do yourself a disservice - you'd be well within your rights to take a Porsche for a test drive if you wanted to.

True, but to be honest I wouldn't lower myself to that level. :lol:

Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next