Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sage advice 
What's a life?

From a photog blog:

“I remember a quote from the Tao that Danny mentioned, "If you look to others for approval they will control you." Something all artists should acknowledge.

Don't shoot for the club, or the client or the approval of a forum. Shoot because your own spirit moves you to do so. Do your job and move on. The accolades will come on their own.”

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:51 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Good post

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

Fogmeister wrote:
Good post

+1

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:31 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I am not sure if I already mentioned this, but in a mag this month, fifty top photographers have offered a tip each. At least two of them said that turning professional has led them to photograph for the client and not for themselves and that it can be less satisfying.

In looking for approval from others, we are also looking for advice but unless you are getting paid, then I agree that photography should be for yourself.

On the subject of approval from others, there are two pictures in the September Digital SLR Photography magazine that are offered up as examples of great work. One landscape seems to break all of the rules and looks rather uninteresting, the other is a desaturated portrait that I think looks hideous in every way.

Clearly as with all art, it is in the eye of the beholder.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:36 am
What's a life?

ProfessorF wrote:
From a photog blog:

“I remember a quote from the Tao that Danny mentioned, "If you look to others for approval they will control you." Something all artists should acknowledge.

Don't shoot for the club, or the client or the approval of a forum. Shoot because your own spirit moves you to do so. Do your job and move on. The accolades will come on their own.”

Thanks for the affirmation. In this thread: hhttp://www.x404.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

heatherkay wrote:
You certainly pick some excellent locations there, Paul. :lol:

and

trigen_killer wrote:
I agree. If you are going to make that much effort, you could have found somewhere a little more interesting. :D

in reaction to my rather mundane panoramic view of an area near a but stop where I live. Hardly exciting, or picturesque, I know, but it’s something I feel worthy of record. Of course, I know the comments are given with humour, but they were posted just too close to this thread to be passed over.

On Flickr I have a number of photos of my local area. They are possibly tedious, but at the same time interesting. For example:

A comment for the above photo says:
Quote:
Nice and valuable (as time document) photo set. Thanks for showing. In the pre-digital age,it would have been a ridiculous extravagance taking these ordinary pictures!

I’ll continue to take photos like this, because I like doing it and partly because my inner historian says I should be contributing the photographic records of Chelmsford. and I’ll no doubt take the pano gear out on a walk to do more of the same.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

paulzolo wrote:
in reaction to my rather mundane panoramic view of an area near a but stop where I live. Hardly exciting, or picturesque, I know, but it’s something I feel worthy of record. Of course, I know the comments are given with humour, but they were posted just too close to this thread to be passed over.

I actually agree with you. It's the mundane aspects of our world that are often neglected, yet more of interest to historians.

So, I say carry on documenting Chelmsford, no matter how dull or trivial the images may appear.

I just wish I could be interested enough to document my local area in the same way. Actually, come to think of it...

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 am

You know something Paul, you are dead right.

With the sphere, you have a fantastic technical achievement, but the subject matter was not awesome- I'm sure in times to come we will see many that are- but it matters to you and that is what is important. FFS, I get excited because I can see a blurry image of my house on Google Earth :lol:

I am pretty sure that I could spend half a day in my town's high street and probably photograph things that I have never seen, but I won't because first of all, I would feel too self conscious and second, I wouldn't want to get mugged for my camera.

When I see photographs of the town as it used to be, I always examine them, trying to figure out where it is- if it doesn't say, and/or picking out any changes when I know where it is. Even over my lifetime, the changes in all areas of the town have been huge and I would like to see pictures of how certain areas used to be and you are making your own catalogue and that's great.

I didn't mean offence by my comment, but I do feel bad now. :oops: Keep shooting away, Paul.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 am

HeatherKay wrote:
I actually agree with you. It's the mundane aspects of our world that are often neglected, yet more of interest to historians.

Absolutely, the best old B&W shots I've seen are of mundane things, but because they are old and have features that are of a particular period, they become interesting.

That's why I like Alexey Titarenko's work - it's all just ordinary streets, what he does is takes long exposures of people so that there is movement in the shot. I particularly like his "City of Shadows" set, mainly for the rough "Sovietness" of it, but any town will work with a global audience.
Clicky

The trouble with mundane locations is that shots take a good few years to capture imaginations. The world has to change before you can look back at the photo and see how things were.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

trigen_killer wrote:
I didn't mean offence by my comment, but I do feel bad now. :oops: Keep shooting away, Paul.

I didn’t take any. It was just interesting that this thread appeared so quickly after comments about the panorama. I’m keen to try it in more salubrious locations - bank holiday beckons and I hope the weather is on my side.

However, on a similar note, I am also likely to use it for other things too. I have a head full of ideas, and I believe I have figured out the minimum number of shots needed for my Canon - current tests seem to be working.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm

paulzolo wrote:
I have a head full of ideas

Care to share some?

I've been wondering what sort of things I can do to make use of the copious amounts of rain and bad weather we are having...

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 pm
Profile WWW

I heard one on a podcast yesterday: lock yourself in the bathroom for two hours and shoot 100 images...

:D

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
I heard one on a podcast yesterday: lock yourself in the bathroom for two hours and shoot 100 images...

:D

I was thinking more "outdoors"! ;)

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

I realise that. But it's an option if you can't get outdoors!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
lock yourself in the bathroom for two hours and shoot 100 images...
We should just do this anyway.
Anyone else up for the challenge?

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:10 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
HeatherKay wrote:
lock yourself in the bathroom for two hours and shoot 100 images...
We should just do this anyway.
Anyone else up for the challenge?

Mark

If the weather is crap, then I could be persuaded.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next