Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Canon 7D II 
What's a life?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... ii_feature

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pho ... adMoreBttn

Features so far:

- 20.2 MP sensor - still smaller than the nearest Nikon equivalents (IIRC)
- 10 fps - certainly great for sports/action/wildlife which is where the 7D niche is
- 65 all-cross type focus points
- Full HD video at 60fps
- 3" 1040k dot viewscreen
- built in GPS
-dual card slots

I swear that's the same sensor in the 70D (turns out just same sensor size). The rest of the specs look amazing. I do find it interesting they use the same kit lens as with the 70D (18-135mm STM). But it doesn't have an adjustable screen.

Last edited by cloaked_wolf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:56 pm
What's a life?

http://youtu.be/M03hu1diCqE

Review by Scott Kelby (not watched it yet)

Last edited by cloaked_wolf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:04 pm

I commented on this elsewhere too, but the inclusion of built-in GPS is something that has long been overdue in DSLR's. It has been available as standard in a lot of consumer-level cameras for some time now.
It'll be interesting to see if it makes it's way in to other makes/models in future revisions.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:44 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
I commented on this elsewhere too, but the inclusion of built-in GPS is something that has long been overdue in DSLR's. It has been available as standard in a lot of consumer-level cameras for some time now.
It'll be interesting to see if it makes it's way in to other makes/models in future revisions.

I've basically come to the conclusion that the next DSLR I buy will have inbuilt GPS because I won't buy one that doesn't. Right now I'm taking one shot with an iPhone camera at each location to ensure I have a GPS 'fix' to apply to the shots in post but it's far from optimal when you're on a 'walking shoot' doing landscapes or wildlife or what have you.

I used to have a GPS tracker and some software that tied the GPS co-ord to the timestamp on the photo, but the rechargeable battery in it went off and there don't seem to be many of them on the market any more...

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:41 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
I've basically come to the conclusion that the next DSLR I buy will have inbuilt GPS because I won't buy one that doesn't.

I'm curious - can I ask why?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
http://youtu.be/M03hu1diCqE

Review by Scott Kelby (not watched it yet)

Interesting but not really a review - more of a feature list or sales pitch.

DP Review Preview linky

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 pm
What's a life?

ProfessorF wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
I've basically come to the conclusion that the next DSLR I buy will have inbuilt GPS because I won't buy one that doesn't.

I'm curious - can I ask why?

My photography is either still life stuff - where obviously it doesn't matter at all - or it's landscape/wildlife stuff. In the latter case having location info in the metadata is very useful for me in grouping & categorising shots and also if I want to go back to a particular place to take another batch - it's all very well saying 'just go back to the same place' but when you've spent a day hiking round say Glencoe or the like, it's a bit easier to be able to go direct to the spot rather than have to retrace your whole path until you find it. This is especially true if you want to take shots with the light at a different angle i.e. a different time of day.

It's not a feature I'd consider a must have on every camera but for the photography I do, it's proved it's usefulness.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]