Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Bags and straps 
What's a life?

Straps: I'm not a fan of the 70D's strap. Doesn't feel very comfortable. I was thinking about replacing it with either a more comfortable strap or a wrist strap. Suggestions?

Bags: Currently looking at different bag types and using the lowepro website to help. I'm after two bag styles - compact (just camera fitted with lens), and something for everything (camera, lens, flash, battery grip/batteries, lens filters, flash filters, cable release).

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:08 pm
What's a life?

I know what you mean about the Canon straps. I found that wearing it the wrong way round - the Canon logo inside - helps. It also means you're not advertising your spanky new camera body to everyone. Over time, they do break in and get a bit softer.
Optech are supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm only going on what I've heard.

Bags are a tougher proposition - do you want a stealth bag for cities and so on? If so, you could think about just grabbing a liner set up. Basically a set of padded pockets/compartments you can drop into an existing bag. This way you can get the bag you like (or already own), and you're not broadcasting that you're carrying a load of expensive gear.
Other than that, I'm always impressed with the Lowepro bags. I've just bought another 6 for work. However, the other brands are all just as good, especially folk like Kata and Tamrac.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
Optech are supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm only going on what I've heard.

I have an Optech strap. It's made of a kind of neoprene and is a good deal wider than the OEM strap, making it a lot more comfy. Added bonus is it's got quick-release clips so you can whip it off the camera just leaving the attaching straps in the body loops.

Bags, well, you have to decide what you need and what your budget is.

I'm a Lowepro fan. I have a large backpack which nearly manages all my gear in one go including a tripod carrying arrangement. It's not waterproof, but has a sort of hood arrangement that pulls out from the bottom and gives some better protection if you're caught in extended rain. I ought to look at a bigger one, as I have to leave bits behind now my collection is growing. I also have a shoulder/sling type bag which I use when I don't need all the gear. It lets me carry the DSLR with average lens on in a rigid area, another lens and various accessories, plus food, drink, jacket, phone, whatever.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm
What's a life?

I have a Black Rapid strap. Well worth the investment.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 pm
What's a life?

ION - I can recommend http://www.parkcameras.com/c/22/Backpacks.html. Great service, and some deals on!

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 pm
What's a life?

ProfessorF wrote:
I know what you mean about the Canon straps. I found that wearing it the wrong way round - the Canon logo inside - helps.

Not tried that.

ProfessorF wrote:
Bags are a tougher proposition - do you want a stealth bag for cities and so on? If so, you could think about just grabbing a liner set up.

This has been suggested to me by someone else. I've always favoured Nike backpacks for some reason. Will look into this.

ProfessorF wrote:
However, the other brands are all just as good, especially folk like Kata and Tamrac.

Not heard of those brands. Will check'em out.

HeatherKay wrote:
I have an Optech strap.

Pic of one and where you bought it from please?

HeatherKay wrote:
Bags, well, you have to decide what you need and what your budget is.

Budget isn't a massive issue. I've spent £1200 incl camera, kit lens and flash. I don't want a cheapo £12 bag.

HeatherKay wrote:
has a sort of hood arrangement that pulls out from the bottom

Yup the All Weather cover - I have that on my Lowepro 60AW. Never really had to use it.

paulzolo wrote:
I have a Black Rapid strap. Well worth the investment.

Thanks, will look into it.

I think the simplest way I can describe what I'm after is what happened to my G12. I bought a Lowepro case to carry the camera + battery + memory card, which I'd carry over my shoulder or on my belt, and I'd have the official canon leather case which allowed me slip the camera into my jacket pocket. I'm after something similar in terms of two bags - one to carry just the camera, and one to carry all my gubbins.

When you all bought your bags, how did you make the decision? Online reviews/recommendations? Did anyone take their stuff into a shop and try out the bags? There's a Calumet in Birmingham that I'm gonna head to so I can have a look at bags and maybe tripods too.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:56 pm

I use Tamrac backpack style camera bags. The bigger one I have fits all my gear in/on.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

Here's a link to Wex Photo for the kind of strap I have.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-opte ... e/p1007815

Where I bought it? Well, I think it was a Jacobs in London many moons ago. I recently bought a wrist strap from the same maker, which uses the same clip attachment system. Ideal for when you don't want the camera round your neck, but need it to hand quickly.

Black Rapid have a strap system that fits to the tripod mount, letting the camera hang by probably the most secure point when it's not being used against your face. I hear good things about this.

I bought my backpack on spec. I think it might have been recommended, but it seemed a good choice and ticked all the right boxes for me. Going to a store and asking to try stuff is an excellent idea - just wish there was a decent store within an hour of where I live. :(

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I hate the OEM Nikon strap (still after 4 years). I have access to a sewing machine, neoprene and webbing at work, I might see what I can rustle up.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 am
What's a life?

I have this wrist strap for my G12: clicky
I feel such a strap would be too flimsy for the 70D.

Here's a couple I've seen: clicky and clicky

I've seen a black rapid set up that screws into the tripod mount. It seems odd having a camera dangle upside down and I'm worried about smacking it into something when walking (whereas the standard dslr strap places the camera in front of my torso where I can keep a closer eye on it).

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 am

I still have my Pentax original strap but I do fancy a rapid strap of sorts as after a while the back of my neck hurts.

As for bags I'm a Crumpler fan. I've got a big one for just about everything, a medium one for when I want just the body and maybe two lenses and a small one for the Fujifilm X10. The RRP is expensive but shopping around and scouring Amazon can yield some bargains.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Legend

veato wrote:
I still have my Pentax original strap but I do fancy a rapid strap of sorts as after a while the back of my neck hurts.

As for bags I'm a Crumpler fan. I've got a big one for just about everything, a medium one for when I want just the body and maybe two lenses and a small one for the Fujifilm X10. The RRP is expensive but shopping around and scouring Amazon can yield some bargains.

+1 for the Crumpler bags. Though Amazon also have some amazon basics bags which are pretty good.

"You are gifted. Mine is bordering on seven seconds."

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg5MzczNTk

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwx404couk-21

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

For cheap, water resistant, versatile and tough as nails bags, have a look in an army surplus store.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am
What's a life?

Made a trip to Calumet today. Bought this: Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW

They were kind enough to let me try out the different bag styles including shoulder bag, and found that they were all far too big for my current needs. I narrowed it down to two designs and they provided a camera and lens to try out.

Straps - poor choice and only own brand stuff. Even looked at a wrist strap which had a tripod quick release plate built in but my tripod has a pentagonal one!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 am
Spends far too much time on here

Another Black Rapid fan here.

If you can have a 7D and 70-200 f4 L attached to you handsfree and then ski down a black run without worrying, that's a pretty good product in my estimation.

They're very comfy, super ergonomic and well made. Don't consider anything else.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next