Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Tripod Help 
What's a life?

HI guys
Love playing with my 70D but current tripod is a bit flimsy and doesn't do things that I want.

Mainly after:
- something with a handle/grip for maneouvring
- something with a pan-only lock
- something with perhaps a adjustable resistance ballhead
- video friendly (bought the 70D so can shoot video when req)

Struggling and the manfrotto website isn't as helpful as I was hoping, so open to suggestions and alternatives.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Giottos.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/search/d ... cat03=3025

The advantages:

A little cheaper than Manfrotto.
    Excellent build quality.
    Come with a bag and little toolkit.
Check out the Silk Road range, where the legs fold up cleverly to take up even less space. One reviewer said the cheaper aluminium version was better than the carbon fibre one, too.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm
What's a life?

I had a look at the giotto range. Essentially, couldn't find what I wanted. There are ball-heads with adjustable friction and with pan-only locks. What they lack is a grip of some kind to move the camera around rather than having to position the camera. Whilst this is fine for photos, it's crap for shooting video. Ditto with manfrotto and vanguard.

I'm struggling to find what I want and it looks like I may have to get a dedicated video head for panning shots and a dedicated photo head for everything else.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:44 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I'm struggling to find what I want and it looks like I may have to get a dedicated video head for panning shots and a dedicated photo head for everything else.

Looks that way. Ball heads for video are fine for locked-off shots.

I bought a three-way head for my Giottos, and then got the ball head. I rarely use the three-way for normal photography, but it's handy to know it's in the cupboard for video if I want.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:22 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Would a joystick (Manfrotto 324RC2) or pistol (Vanguard GH-100) work?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Not a fan of the pistol grip. I saw that joystick version but the problem is that it doesn't have a panoramic-lock.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:18 pm

It's not what you're looking for but still somewhat related. There's a free Hama travel tripod for new subscribers of Practical Photography (£20 six months) and if you're clever £6 Quidco to boot.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:47 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Well searching for photo-movie tripods show either the basic tripod I already have, or this:

Need to read up on it but it promises what I'm after: adjustable friction, ball-head type manouevring, pan handle and pan-lock. However, it's £200 at wex. No idea if that's reasonable for a head or too much. I would then need to find tripod legs, something that will dampen the panning action so you don't get any jerks/vibrations.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Well searching for photo-movie tripods show either the basic tripod I already have, or this:

<snip>

Need to read up on it but it promises what I'm after: adjustable friction, ball-head type manouevring, pan handle and pan-lock. However, it's £200 at wex. No idea if that's reasonable for a head or too much. I would then need to find tripod legs, something that will dampen the panning action so you don't get any jerks/vibrations.

As with a great many things you're probably getting what you pay for. The only way to be sure would be to find one in a shop and have a play with it though. I've got a Manfrotto ball head (and tripod) for my camera and it cost about the same as the tripod but it's built to last.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:54 pm
What's a life?

That head looks great.
Cheap tip to dampen panning on a photo head (just one area you'll pay for on a proper damped head) - use an elastic band on the pan handle to move the head with. Loop it over the handle, then just use a finger in the elastic band to pan with. The give in the elastic means it shouldn't jerk too much and give you a nice steady speed.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
That head looks great.
Cheap tip to dampen panning on a photo head (just one area you'll pay for on a proper damped head) - use an elastic band on the pan handle to move the head with. Loop it over the handle, then just use a finger in the elastic band to pan with. The give in the elastic means it shouldn't jerk too much and give you a nice steady speed.
I tried this with a glidetrack ... it failed.
But as you often say, your mileage may vary. (8+)

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]