Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Buying secondhand 
What's a life?

I'm really struggling here. There are what seem some good buys on egay. Specifically looking at the Canon 7D.

A lot seem to be in perfect/mint condition with shutter clicks <3000. These seem to go for ~£750 (bodies only) when brand new is £1000.

Just spotted one that comes with a kit lens/bag/memory card for £830 with ~18000 clicks.
There's another which comes with 15-85mm lens for £1000 - the same stuff new is £1500.

Thoughts? Would you ever buy secondhand?
I've had a look at some "reputable" secondhand camera shops and the prices are barely off brand new.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:38 pm
What's a life?

If you're open to other suggestions, I'd take a look at the 60D. We've just some in at work, and I'll be using one tonight in a dark club, but so far I'm impressed with it. Build quality certainly feels on a par with the 7D, despite being a plastic frame.
And, you'll save some pennies too: http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/canon-eos-60d-18-55-is-55-250is.
It's ISO performance is, apparently, pretty much on a par with the 7D.
Body only is about £590, and chuck a 24-105mm on the front (~£650) and you've got a pretty competent setup. (Albeit limited to f4.)

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:44 pm
What's a life?

I did consider the 60D and it remains my backup choice but I gather that there's a 70D allegedly planned for this year so it may be prudent to wait.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 pm
What's a life?

I've discovered grey imports - a 7D can be had for £700 - same price as secondhand but brand new. They seem to come in from Hong Kong. Canon won't honor the warranty but the dealer states they can be repaired at any Canon repair centre and they'll refund the cost.

Alternatively, there's a refurbished 7D on egay for £715.

Or I can buy a new 60D for £600.

Prof, how did you find the 60D in low light last night?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:26 am
What's a life?

I'm just downloading the files now into Lightroom.
I was going between 1/20th - 1/40th at f4, ISO 800 - 1000 depending.
What I will say is that 3-4 hours of shooting with the 60D and a 24-105mm on the front is tiring. I need to work on my forearm strength. :lol:
On the other hand, thanks to the weight of the camera, it did make lining up shots easier - I'll be spending far less time straightening/levelling shots this time.
I'll have a poke at one of the higher ISO shots shortly, with the fact that these are destined only ever really to appear on Facebook (occasionally some print).

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I still find it amusing that a new D90 (discontinued for some time now) in the UK is still noticeably more expensive than I paid for mine four years ago in Singapore. Took a chance on the body warranty as that is local, but lens warranties for Nikon are international.

I've bought three secondhand lenses and had no trouble with any of them.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:47 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I find the buttons on the 60D to be way too plasticy personally.

But the image quality will be virtually identical to the 7D. But then the 650D is the same in that regard.

If you don't need the speed or build quality of the 7D, get a D7000. Waaaaay better value secondhand or otherwise...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 pm
What's a life?

I've decided to hold off purchase until I know what's happening with the proposed 70D, and until I've done some more research on lenses.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:34 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Take it from someone who agonises, just buy from what's available. There will be no discernible advance in image quality, just more buttons and nonsense. Pick from what's available now and just enjoy starting to take photos.

The D7000 is a bargain new or secondhand, so is the D300(s). The 60D is very capable, but so's any xxxD of the last few years. Even the Pentax K-30 or K5 are fantastic bargains second hand. Whatever fits well in your hand is what will make the difference. The ergonomics these days are all very similar. It's just whether or not you've bought into the hype.

I only bought the 7D for the speed, build and the 3 memory modes. If I didn't need that, anything else would've worked. Decide what's essential and just buy based on that :)

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 am
What's a life?

The 60D does feel nice to handle though - even the Nikon boys at work agreed on that.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:27 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

£750 for a 2nd hand or grey 7D?

*cough* Brand new K-5IIs *cough*

Sensor scores

Body only prices at Wex
K-5IIs £819 (£40 cashback offer)
7D £1029
D300s £879

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I'm the kind of person who either buys on a whim (and it's pretty much always perfect) or I do lots and lots of painstaking research and then find the right item. Anything inbetween results in a crap item.

I really love the idea of a fold out screen on the Canon 60D. But then that's really only because I love and use the fold out screen on the G12. Which you need to use to know about composing/autofocus/exposure etc. The viewfinder is pants.

On the other hand, I experienced the 7D sometime last year - rather by accident. Went to pick up the 60D and picked up what was the 7D but didn't realise until after I'd had a play with it. The 60D did feel cheaper and plasticky in comparison. I really need to go and check them out again - hopefully plan to do that next week.

Would prefer to stick to Canons ATM.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]