Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
New Gear at CES 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

It's CES time again and as expected details of new models of camera are coming out thick and fast. I'm going to round up a few here with links back to some sources.

First up Fujifilm with a improved X100s and X20 (prev. X10) models:

Fujifilm has announced the X20 - a substantially upgraded re-working of its high-end enthusiast compact. The biggest changes over the X10 are the adoption of the X-Trans color filter pattern from the company's mirrorless cameras, along with an LCD added to the optical viewfinder to allow shooting information to be overlaid. A faster processor and on-chip phase detection elements promise fast focusing while the addition of a 'Q' quick-menu button should also improve the camera's usability.

I'm going to be seriously tempted to upgrade my X10 once the X20 price starts to come down which frankly doesn't take too long on the more obscure enthusiast compacts. And by obscure I mean anything without a Nikon/Canon label.

Fujifilm has announced the X100S - a significantly enhanced replacement for its X100 large sensor, fixed-lens compact camera. The X100S retains its predecessor's classic styling but has been extensively re-worked inside, with a 16MP X-Trans sensor that includes on-chip phase-detection elements (a technology first utilized by Fujifilm), and a higher-resolution LCD in its Hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. A faster 'EXR II' processor, along with the on-chip AF information help Fujifilm offer what it says is the world's fastest AF.

World's fastest AF? Interesting.

Last edited by veato on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile WWW

Ah, Pentax. My chosen favourite underdog in the camera world. What have you for me this year?

Pentax Ricoh has announced it will offer its Q10 small-sensor mirrorless camera in 100 different color combinations. The cameras will be built to-order when the customer requests a particular combination, though no details are given of how long it expects the process to take. The Q10 is the company's second Q-series interchangeable lens camera. Built around a 1/2.3" 12MP BSI CMOS sensor, the Q10 is the smallest, lightest mirrorless interchangeable lens camera on the market. The Q10 in your choice of color, with a 02 28-83mm equivalent zoom lens for around $599.95.

They played with colour on some previous models and IIRC the K-x (maybe it was K-r) had far many more colour options in Japan that it ever did in the EU. It's nice to see someone do something different but I guess it won't appeal to all. I still fancy a Q myself with an adapter for my K lenses. The equivalent focal length due to sensor size would be MENTAL!

Pentax (now under Ricoh) have finally entered the enthusiast compact camera market too

Pentax has announced the MX-1 - its entry into the enthusiast compact camera sector. The MX-1 features classic styling and construction, with brass top- and base-plates. It's based around a stabilized 12MP BSI CMOS sensor and a familiar-sounding 28-112mm equivalent F1.8-2.5 lens. In addition the MX-1 features a flip-out 920k dot rear screen. It includes a top-plate exposure compensation dial and rear thumb wheel to control a UI very much like those in the company's DSLRs.

It really does look like the MX of old (minus the viewfinder prism) which instantly gets me interested. I'd have preferred an optical viewfinder à la X10/X20 and bigger sensor but you can't have everything!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

Not from from Canon right now with some updates to some Powershot and Ixus compacts but also this.....

Canon has announced the PowerShot N, a compact camera designed specifically as a smartphone companion for the Instagram generation. The N is built around a tilting touch-screen, and its round-lens zoom controller and shutter release are designed to make it behave identically whether held right-way-up or upside-down. It offers a 'Creative Shot' mode that generates multiple versions of your image, so you get the shot you composed plus five alternatives with different crops and processing effects. Canon promises one-touch Wi-Fi connectivity to make it easier to upload images and video to your smartphone and the internet. To extend its capability beyond that of a smartphone, the N has a 28-224mm equivalent lens and a 12MP CMOS sensor that works with a Digic 5 processor.

DPReview are calling it a smartphone companion. I don't get it. Chances are your smartphone already has a camera capable of taking snaps and using creative filters (Instagram?) before uploading to the web. Connected to a 3G enabled tablet via its wi-fi connection? Maybe. Apart from offering a proper optical zoom it's lost on me.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

Some news from Sigma

Sigma Corporation (CEO: Kazuto Yamaki) is pleased to announce the new SIGMA DP3 Merrill, featuring a 50mm F2.8 lens, will join the lineup of the "SIGMA DP Merrill" series. The SIGMA DP3 Merrill is the next generation of high image quality compact digital cameras. Equipped with the Foveon X3 image sensor, the DP3 Merrill ensures outstanding resolution and natural rendering with rich gradation as well as a three-dimensional feel.

I expect with a fixed 50mm focal length (75mm equiv) it's going to have limited appeal, especially as noise over ISO400 can be a problem on the Foveon sensor. Portriats? Macro?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 am
Profile WWW

Olympus have announce additions to the Tough range including a new flagship model

Olympus has announced the TG-830 iHS and TG-630iHS, two new additions to the company's TOUGH series of travel-friendly waterproof compact cameras. The mid-range TG-830 iHS is waterproof to 10m (33 feet) and has a 5x optical zoom lens to go along with its 16MP back-side illuminated CMOS sensor. Video can be recorded in 1920 x 1080 resolution, with the option to capture high speed clips at 120 fps in 720 resolution mode, for slow motion playback. The entry-level TG-630 iHS is waterproof down to 3.9m (13 feet). Both models will be available in March in a range of colors.

Olympus has announced the Stylus Tough TG-2 iHS, the latest flagship of its Tough series of waterproof compact cameras. This update to the TG-1 model is now waterproof down to 15m (50 feet), has a 12MP CMOS sensor and a 4x optical zoom lens with a maximum aperture starting at F2.0. Further rounding out the specifications are a 3.0" OLED rear display, built-in GPS and elevation recording and 1920 x 1080 video output. The TG-2 iHS will be available in March in both red and black versions for US $379.99.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm
Profile WWW

Potential competition for the GoPro market maybe? Or just for strapping one to your cat?

Panasonic has announced the lifestyle-oriented HX-A100 'wearable' camcorder. The video camera includes an 'Earthhook' which allows for hands-free video recording. HD video can be captured at 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps. Wi-Fi connectivity allows for live streaming on Ustream and you can use a smartphone or tablet to start and stop recording. The HX-A100 is also waterproof up to 1.5m (5 feet)

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

Panasonic have also updated the top end TZ series with the TZ40. As usual it's an evolution not revolution and adds NFC to the party. I used to love my TZ7 until the light dropped off then it got messy with smeared high ISO photos. I think the TZ's would really benefit from a bigger sensor.

Panasonic has announced the Lumix DMC-ZS30 (TZ40 in Europe) and ZS25 (TZ35 in Europe) compact superzoom cameras. The higher specified ZS30 features a 20x optical zoom, 1080p60 video and Wi-Fi capability. The biggest new feature on offer, however is Near Field Communication (NFC), a close-proximity radio connection that the ZS30 can use to initiate a Wi-Fi connection with a compatible device simply by tapping the two together. The cameras will be available at the end of March in both black and white color schemes.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile WWW

I do wish the terminology was more correct. Waterproof means impervious to water, where as these products state a depth rating, which makes them water resistant to the stated depth.

For some reason I'm liking the look of the Panasonic HX-A100. Not suitable for underwater work, but I'm sure it will reach places the GoPro can only dream about. :shock: ;)

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am
What's a life?

belchingmatt wrote:
Not suitable for underwater work, but I'm sure it will reach places the GoPro can only dream about. :shock: ;)

The GoPro housing is good to 60m, so Panasonic's 1.5m shouldn't worry it.
Oh wait, unless you mean...

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]