Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Blurity 
What's a life?

So, deblurring technology appears to be around the corner in Photoshop, and this morning on PetaPixel I saw the link about Blurity.
I've just downloaded the app to tinker with, and run a shot through it that was nicely enough framed and all, but there was just too much motion blur in it to use.

Now, their site - https://www.blurity.com - makes a big noise about recovering lost text etc, but to be honest, the examples they use just don't look that good.

Use it on the sort of shot where you think "If only I'd been able to shoot a little faster" and I think you'll be able to recover some shots.

Interesting stuff.
I may well part with some cash for this one...

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm
What's a life?

Downloading a trial. I have a couple of images that I want to test this on.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 am
What's a life?

OK, so had a quick play. It’s an interesting idea. Their demo image looks worse after it’s gone through the process, and I think the background would need some touching up to make it look nicer. My suspicions are that for best results, you’ll need a small amount of blur rather than a huge amount.

So, here are a couple of shots taken at a track day, which have a fair amount of motion blur. Corrected image to the right. In the car images, I did try the advanced settings to see if anything could be pulled back

Click the images to see the full fat 2048 width images.

So, we clearly aren’t going to get a high fidelity image from a very blurry one. But what we can do, it seems, is rescue those pictures which have minor blur damage:

Which, although rather contrasty (which can be fixed in Photoshop or similar), make improvements on the originals. In fact, I think these (which were processed using the default settings), look a little too over-sharp and may need the deblurring settings tweaked to make them less harsh. For this kind of blur, the recovery is pretty good.

All of these images are reduced copies (1024px along he longest side) of the full images size, which is about 10MP. It is possible that the full sized image would fare better simply because the sample size can be more focussed, and there is just more data for the algorithm to play with.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

It does just appear to be about clarity/sharpness depending on your current software, but the automatical side of things will certainly entice the hipsters.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 am
What's a life?

I think I'm going to buy a copy.
It might just save those shots that are 'almost' right.
The algorithm it's using will, allegedly, be in the next Photoshop release. http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2011/10/behind-all-the-buzz-deblur-sneak-peek.html

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]