Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Photokina 2012 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Photokina, 18-23rd September 2012, Cologne

I thought I'd start a thread for this years Photokina. I'll keep an eye on the news as new products get announced and link the stories here.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am
Profile WWW

For those who suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

It'll be fun to see what new stuff might be announced.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 am

A little bit of pre-photokina news from Pentax with the announcement of a couple of cameras. They've been rumoured/leaked for a while but it seems like it's now official.

Pentax Q10

Following up from the minuscule original Q the Q10 has a redisgned body and updated sensor

Photokina 2012: Pentax Ricoh has expanded its Q system with the addition of the Q10 body and adapter allowing the use of K-mount lenses. The Q10 features a slightly redesigned body and updated 12.4MP 1/2.3" back-lit CMOS sensor. Improvements include faster operation and autofocus performance, the company says. There is also a 15-45mm F2.8 fast 80-250mm equivalent telephoto zoom, the Pentax 06 Telephoto Zoom lens. There's also an adapter for mounting and manuallty focusing K-mount lenses on Q-mount bodies - where the Qs' compact-camera-sized sensors will give a roughly 5.5x crop factor, meaning a 28mm lens will give a 154mm equivalent field of view. The Q10 will cost around $700 with the 02 Standard kit zoom, with the fast zoom costing around $300 and the K-mount adapter roughly $250.

It'd be fun to try a K-mount telephoto lens with that 5.5x crop factor!

Pentax K-5II & K-5IIs

Featuring the same weather-sealed body and sensor as the original K-5 the new mark 2 model adds improved AF performance and an 's' version without an anti-aliasing filter

Pentax Ricoh has announced its latest flagship DSLRs - the K-5 II and K-5IIs. The 's' version, which costs $100 more, comes without an anti-aliasing filter, to offer higher resolution at the risk of more prominent moiré interference patterns. Both cameras feature 16MP sensors and the weather-sealed magnesium alloy build of the original K-5.

The biggest difference is the latest, SAFOX X, autofocus sensor. This is designed to work in lower light than any of its rivals (down to -3EV) it will also provide greater accuracy when working with F2.8 and fast lenses. The SAFOX X also features more sophisticated focus tracking, to keep focus when the subject moves off the original focus point. The K-5 II and IIs also gain rear LCD panels with no air gap between the panel and the protective glass, reducing internal reflections and improving visibility in bright light.

The K-5 II will be available from October at a cost of around $1350 with 18-55mm WR kit zoom. The K-5 IIs will be available, body-only for around $1300 - a $100 premium over the standard version.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 am
Profile WWW

HeatherKay wrote:
For those who suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

This is something I might suffer from if indeed I had the money ;)

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 am
Profile WWW

Hasselblad H5D

I'm sure they'll be cheap so I'll take 2!

Hasselblad is to update its full line up of H System medium format camera and lenses, promising better focus features and 'the largest, brightest viewfinder image on the market.' The H5D series is expected to start shipping by December, and will include 40, 50 and 60 megapixel models, as well as 50 and 200 megapixel multi-shot versions. The latest cameras feature an updated user interface and revised image processors for improved JPEG output. The Swedish company will also introduce a 24mm F4.8 lens, equivalent to a 17mm lens on a 135 format DSLR. An additional macro converter will work with wide angle lenses.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 am
Profile WWW

Two full-frame offerings from Sony....

Sony DSC-RX1

Sony has officially announced the Cyber-shot DSC-RX1, a full-frame compact camera with a fixed 35mm F2 lens. The camera features a 36x24mm CMOS sensor and a leaf shutter for near-silent operation. It includes a manual aperture ring and dedicated exposure compensation dial for direct manual control. It can also capture video at frame rates of up to 1080p60 and includes a series of video-friendly features. As rumored, the camera will retail for around $2,800.

This one is interesting and sure to cause a stir. Full-frame, fixed lens, high quality but no built in viewfinder and a high price tag.

It looks blooming lovely mind you!

Sony Alpha SLT-A99

Sony has announced the SLT A99, its flagship full frame interchangeable lens camera. The A99 features a 24MP 36x24mm CMOS sensor that features on-sensor phase detection, creating a dual AF system that promises improved focus tracking and focus precision. It also includes the Quick Navi interactive status panel and a host of features for video shooters, including a 'silent' control dial, mic and headphone sockets and focus peaking, to make the most of its 1080p60 HD capability. There is also an additional lens, the SAM 28-75mm F2.8, a moderately-priced fast standard zoom.

There have been rumours for a while now suggesting this same sensor could feature in a FF Nikon (D600?) and Pentax (K-3?).

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 am
Profile WWW

More Sony news.....

Sony NEX-6

The latest in the line of Sony CSCs has been announced.

Sony has announced the Alpha NEX-6 16MP enthusiast mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and three additional E-mount lenses for its NEX cameras. The NEX-6 builds on the features first seen on the NEX-5R announced last month, including Wi-Fi, in-camera apps and on-sensor phase detection. In addition it gains the high-resolution, 2.3M dot OLED viewfinder previously seen on the NEX-7, plus an external mode dial. In addition, the NEX-6 becomes the first NEX camera to feature the Sony's revived Quick Navi interactive control panel and an ISO-standard hotshoe. The NEX-6 is launched along with a 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 retractable power zoom lens creating a much smaller zoom kit than was previously possible with the NEX system.

And a few lenses to go with it

Sony has announced three extra E-mount lenses for its NEX cameras, a 10-18mm wide zoom, a 16-50mm retractable power zoom and a 35mm F1.8 prime lens. The 10-18mm F4 is a mid-level wide-angle zoom covering a 15-27mm equivalent range. The 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom offers a compact standard zoom covering the 24-75mm equivalent range. Finally the 35mm F1.8 is a bright 53mm equivalent normal prime lens. The 10-18mm will cost around $850, the 16-50mm power zoom will cost around $350 and the 35mm F1.8 will be priced around $450.

I like the power-zoom lenses. Panny did this with one of its lenses making the system more compact.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:08 am
Profile WWW

The 24mp FF D600 rumour is no longer a rumour!

Nikon has announced the D600, the smallest, least expensive full frame DSLR on the market, aimed directly at enthusiast photographers. The D600 is built around a 24MP, 36x24mm, CMOS sensor and crams many of the features of the more expensive D800 into a distinctly D7000-esque body. It features a 100% coverage viewfinder and 39-point autofocus system, nine of which are cross-type points. It can capture 1080p HD video at 30, 25 or 24 frames per second and can stream uncompressed footage out over its HDMI port. There's also an optional Wi-Fi unit allowing the camera to be controlled remotely from an Android or iOS device. The D600 will have a list price of $2,099 body only, or $2,699 with the 24-85mm F3.5-5.6 lens and will be available from September 18th.

With an expected price of £1995 it will be interesting to see how it sells. The D800 is currently £300 more and with a D300s replacement expected (D400) it looks like this will fall between the two.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Fujifilm XF1

Due to land in UK shops in November, the XF1 sports an f/1.8 lens that is designed to deliver the 35mm viewing angle equivalent of a 25-100mm zoom (operated by twisting the zoom ring).

It looks very nice. Seems like an X10 in thinner more pocketable and IMO sexy body. It also has the same EXR sensor which works great in 6MP mode using pixel binning. The downsides - that f/1.8 becomes f/4.9 at the long end and no price has been announced.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:50 am
Profile WWW

After the FF Nikon D600 announcement comes the Canon equivalent....

Canon EOS 6D

Canon has announced the EOS 6D, a smaller, lighter and more affordable full frame DSLR for enthusiast photographers. The 20.2MP camera uses a newly-developed sensor and features an 11-point autofocus system with a single cross-type sensor. Canon says it will focus in lower light than any of its previous cameras. The 6D becomes the company's first EOS model to include GPS and Wi-Fi, to make sharing images easier. It uses its large sensor to offer a native ISO range of 100-25,600, expandable to 50-102,400.

The WEX price also puts it about £150 cheaper than the Nikon D600 it will no doubt be doing battle with.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am
Profile WWW

The Canon Powershot range has also been updated. Firstly building on the ever popular G range is the...

Canon Powershot G15

Canon has refreshed its G-series enthusiast compact with the G15, and created the implausible SX50 HS. The G15 is a successor to the G12 and is built around a 12MP, 1/1.7" CMOS sensor. Its lens also gets an upgrade - retaining its 28-140mm range but now with a maximum aperture of F1.8-2.8. It loses the G12's articulated screen but gains a higher-resolution, 920k dot panel.

Followed by a smaller compact bodied....

Canon Powershot S110

Canon updates its S series with the PowerShot S110. The S110 is a gentle refresh of the S100, gaining Wi-Fi capability and a touchscreen, alongside an updated 12MP CMOS sensor. It retains the stabilized 24-100mm equivalent, F2.0-5.9 zoom, Digic 5 processor and GPS capability from its predecessor. The only visual change from the S100 is the loss of the ridge grip on the camera's front. The S110 will cost around $449 and will be available in black or white.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 am
Profile WWW

Olympus show some new Micro 4/3rds stuff.....

Olympus E-PL5 & E-PM2

Olympus has refreshed its PEN series with the PEN Lite E-PL5 and PEN Mini E-PM2 16MP touch-screen mirrorless cameras. Both models feature the 16MP sensor and TruePic VI image processor first seen in the OM-D E-M5. Both cameras also gain 460,000 dot, touch-sensitive rear LCDs, with the ability to focus and shoot by touching the screen. They can also shoot at 8 frames per second. The E-PL5 offers a mode dial, an extra button, flip-up LCD and E-P3-style screw-on front grip over the PEN Mini. The E-PL5 will cost $699 with the 14-42mm retractable zoom, while the E-PM2 will cost $599 with the same lens.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

If you've got more money than you know what to do with then look no further.....

Leica S

Leica has announced its latest S-series medium format camera body. Dropping the version number from its moniker - like the recently announced Leica M - this update to the S2 is dubbed simply the Leica 'S'. It retains its predecessor's 37.5MP pixel count but offers improved image processing, a sensitivity range of ISO 100-1600, a 2GB image buffer and 166MB/s transfer rate. A new predictive AF system and 920k dot resolution rear LCD panel round out the highlights, along with an internal GPS module. The camera will be available in December for a retail price of US $21,950. Three new lenses for the system have also been announced; the Super-Elmar-S 24 mm f/3.5 ASPH, Vario-Elmar-S 30-90 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH and TS-APO- Elmar-S 120 mm f/5.6 ASPH. tilt/shift lens.

Leica M-E

Leica has tonight unveiled the Leica M-E, a full-frame camera targeted at photographers who want to make an entry into rangefinder photography.

Due out this month, costing £3,900, the Leica M-E carries an 18-million-pixel CCD imaging sensor and is compatible with Leica M lenses.

Housed in a magnesium-alloy body, with a brass base plate and top cover, the Leica M-E is described by Leica as a 'compact digital view and rangefinder system still camera'.

Leica M

Leica is set to unleash the Leica M, a 24-million-pixel rangefinder camera with live view, HD video and an optional EVF.

And, for the first time in a Leica M model, the Leica M will be compatible with Leica R lenses, via a new adapter that gives access to 20 dedicated lens profiles.

The Leica M will go on sale in‚ early 2013, priced £5,100 when it will be available in a black paint or silver chrome finish.

I'd love an M. They're horribly expensive but by God they're beautiful!

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

veato wrote:

Leica M

Leica is set to unleash the Leica M, a 24-million-pixel rangefinder camera with live view, HD video and an optional EVF.

And, for the first time in a Leica M model, the Leica M will be compatible with Leica R lenses, via a new adapter that gives access to 20 dedicated lens profiles.

The Leica M will go on sale in‚ early 2013, priced £5,100 when it will be available in a black paint or silver chrome finish.

I'd love an M. They're horribly expensive but by God they're beautiful!

+1

Mind you, the Paul Smith X2 variant may not be to your taste.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/leic ... -editions/

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am
Spends far too much time on here

veato wrote:
After the FF Nikon D600 announcement comes the Canon equivalent....

Canon EOS 6D

Canon has announced the EOS 6D, a smaller, lighter and more affordable full frame DSLR for enthusiast photographers. The 20.2MP camera uses a newly-developed sensor and features an 11-point autofocus system with a single cross-type sensor. Canon says it will focus in lower light than any of its previous cameras. The 6D becomes the company's first EOS model to include GPS and Wi-Fi, to make sharing images easier. It uses its large sensor to offer a native ISO range of 100-25,600, expandable to 50-102,400.

The WEX price also puts it about £150 cheaper than the Nikon D600 it will no doubt be doing battle with.

It'll need to be. The Nikon wipes the floor with it :mrgreen:

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next