Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Photo storage 

jonbwfc wrote:
A small thought - if you're doing continuous shooting, isn't RAW slightly quicker than JPG because the camera doesn't have to compress each frame?
If?
Have you seen the other thread, Jon?
It seems as though he's going to burst-mode every single image he takes! *laugh*
okenobi wrote:
How much space guys?
If you burst-mode everything (as your other thread suggests) then as much as you possibly can handle!
My drives are as follows :
1 x 320GB
1 x 500GB
1 x 1TB
Shortly to have another 500GB drive.
The laptop drive is 500GB (thinking about upgrading to a 1TB).

The answer to your question depends on how much RAW/JPG you capture and how much video you think you'll take.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

timark_uk wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
A small thought - if you're doing continuous shooting, isn't RAW slightly quicker than JPG because the camera doesn't have to compress each frame?
If?
Have you seen the other thread, Jon?
It seems as though he's going to burst-mode every single image he takes! *laugh*

Thanks Mark! Maybe not every shot, just 99% of them :D

And no Jon, the RAWs take longer to write due to file size and generally the buffers take longer to recover as well.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 pm
What's a life?

HeatherKay wrote:
I picked up a tip the other day: Treat memory cards like film. In other words, fill the card, take it out of the camera, put in a safe storage box or case, and put a fresh card in. Just buy loads of cards of 4GB to 8GB as they're reasonably cheap. Keep filling them up but don't wipe them until you're sure the images have been copied off and backed up.

I use external drives for my library storage. My laptop's internal drive is simply not big enough for more than just a quick shoot. I've started thinking about different drives for different projects now. I'm doing a long term project documenting plants for a friend, and I've devoted a whole external drive to just that.

Tip I picked up recently was to use Disk Utility to make a compressed image of the card - this preserves any meta data that may be hidden around. Make online and offline backups of those. This is certainly good for video, HD can expand from a few GBs of data on a cart to many gigabytes on your HD.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2