Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Nikon D4 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

serious drool time :lol:
clciky

Quote:
As for those specs, the Nikon D4 boasts a 16.2Mp FX format (full-frame) CMOS sensor coupled with a newly designed EXPEED 3 processing engine. This notches up a native sensitivity range between ISO 100-12,800 expandable to an equivalent of ISO 204,800 – see in the dark shooting anyone? This is matched by a 91,000-pixel RGB metering sensor.
With continuous shooting speed of up to 11fps, you’re able to shoot Charlie Chaplin style at full frame. Video heads get 1080p full HD movie capabilities at 24/25/30fps and all media is stored on dual CF and XQD memory card slots. Capturing the moment is a new Kevlar/carbon fibre-composite shutter tested up to 400,000 releases – an Ethernet port as well as a WT-5 WiFi transmitter enable remote operation from an iPad, iPhone or laptop.

Quote:
Oh and if you were in any doubt about the purely professional status of this camera, the £5290 body-only price may well help convince you.
:shock: :o

now all i need is a lottery win (and some serious talent increase)

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:05 am

I would really like to use one of these cameras for a couple of days. Well, I'd really like to own one, but that'll not be happening any time soon.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

From Ken Rockwell's blog dated 29th September:
Quote:
D600, D800 and D4: All The Same Guts!

Holy cow, I just realized Nikon's big deception: the D600, D800, D800E and D4 are all the same cameras designed and produced in parallel at the same time and all have the same insides, producing the same images with the same processing power, same LCDs, same green-shift problems and identical AF controls. They differ only in exterior packaging and when Nikon chose to announce them to make them appear different. It's just like 1980 again!

Back when Nikon ruled the pro 35mm world, all their 35mm cameras took the same pictures. The only differences were how tough and how fast they were. Consumer cameras like the EM were plasticy and worked OK, while the F3 was tough and fast, with the FE in the middle. All took the same film and same lenses, had the same meters, the same automatic modes, all focused the same, and all took exactly the same pictures.

You paid more for speed and durability, and Nikon advertised to everyone implying that if you wanted to be cool or to be a great photographer, you needed the most expensive camera — even if you were shooting portraits or landscapes, none of which require speed. Nikon showed Galen and other sports and action pros, somehow implying that even if you didn't need speed or durability, that you still needed to buy the top pro camera if you could afford it. Nikon never let on that the EM took the same pictures, cost less, and did the same thing with a lot less weight.

Unless you weren't shooting sports with a motor drive, it just didn't matter.

Today, Nikon's 2012 FX trio of D600, D800 and D4 obviously were all designed and manufactured at the same time with the same innards, and merely announced in descending cost order at different times to try to hide the simple fact that they're the same camera inside. Let's explore this.

The D4 was announced in January, but no one saw one or could buy the first one until March, and it wasn't found sitting in stock until September.

The D800 and D800E were announced in February, and likewise, my D800 arrived the same day in March as the D4 I had on order. The D800 wasn't found sitting in stock until September.

The D600 was announced on a Thursday in September, and was in stock on Tuesday as soon as the trucks arrived.

Hmm, they all got in-stock on the same day. Funny how that works.

What's most astounding is how they all have the same processing power. Simple technology tells us that with the D4's big battery that Nikon would put more computing power in it, but let's compare the computing power of each:

Yes, there's a small difference, but nothing significant. Heck, Nikon didn't even throw double processors in the D4; it's got about the same processing ability as the D600.

Autofocus? It's all the same. They all have the same stupid pushbutton replacing the real AF controls of all previous cameras. Even Nikon's first AF cameras of the 1980s had a three-position M / AF-S / AF-C switch we could hit without taking our eyes off our subjects.

At least the D7000 and D600 save and recall the AF settings; the D800 and D4 can't, making their abridged (simplified) AF controls a bit of a joke for still photography.

Firmware? The same. Same menus, same options, same everything — except that the D600 does away with the dopey Settings Banks and replaces them with its U1 and U2 modes.

LCDs? The same slightly yellow ones.

Color rendition? All three cameras are a little too green, begging us to set M1 for white balance shift. Sadly, in all three, M1 is a little too much, and M0 a little to little.

Metering? The same options. Maybe the Matrix has a few more pixels in the D4 and D800, but with over 2,000 pixels in the D600's meter, it's got way, way more than enough. They're all still based on the same 30,000 image reference as the Matrix meters were back 25 years ago. Nikon's simply been adding Matrix sensors as marketing fluff these past 25 years; five sensors is all you need for the Matrix meter, and I haven't yet seen any Matrix meter better than the 1,005 pixels in the F5 and F6.

Flash metering? Same. White Balance? Same. And so it goes...

16, 24 or 36 MP is all the same. Nikon's simply varied them to segment the market. 10 MP is more than enough for anything. Nikon got the frame rate up in the D4 by reducing resolution instead of putting more processing in the D4, and put way too many pixels in the D800 to attract computer guys who love processing. Honestly, 24 MP is ideal, and we only get that in the D600. I always set my D800 down in resolution; throughput goes to pot trying to work on hundreds of 36 MP images, unless of course you're a guy who builds computers.

So there we have it all blown-open: all of Nikon's current FX cameras are essentially the same thing, put in different bodies. If all you want are fantastic pictures, the D600 does the same thing as the D4 and D800 and D800E, for less money, with less weight and with less aggravation.

Many thanks to Nikon for the D600. I never thought they'd release it. They've given us an absolutely incredible camera for less than ever. Do you remember February 21, 2002, when all of us were falling over ourselves to order Nikon's first consumer DSLR, the D100, which sold for "only" $2,500 considering the effects of inflation? Look what we get today for less money in the D600.

Yip, it's 1980 all over again. The D600 has the same guts, only slightly disguised to segment the market, as the D4 and D800 and D800E. I'm ashamed that the D4 really only has the same foolish AF controls as the D600; a pro camera really needs better, and the D600 lets us save and recall what the D4 can't.

How about the D600E? Not happening; the D600 already has very little anti-alias filtering. I can get moiré on my D600 and it's already super-sharp, just like my D800E.

The D600 is Nikon's best DSLR ever because it's got better image quality that the D4, the same as the D800 and D800E (resolution is irrelevant), and it weighs less and handles faster than the others. Faster handling means more great pictures, and fewer lost fumbling with settings banks. Less weight means you're more likely to have it with you all the time — and catch that one life-changing image you weren't expecting.

Better than the 1980s, none of us need a DSLR to last us a decade or two. We'll all be tossing our D4s or D800s or D600s in a few years, and even my much less expensive six-year-old D40 still works great after years of my own abuse and over 50,000 shots. Even for tough pros, a D600 will hold up, and if you wear it out, send it back under warranty or get a second. You can buy a pair and a spare of D600s for the same price as the D4, giving you 72 MP (24 MP x 3) instead of 16 and 16.5 FPS (5.5 FPS x 3) instead of 10.

If you're married to Nikon, the D600 is it. If not, it's still the 5D Mark III. We'll see what happens when the 6D arrives. I suspect better color, with a good LCD and no green shift, and better ergonomics than the D600, but with only one card slot, the 6D has a big handicap for me. I use my second slots as backup, which streamlines my workflow since I can cheerfully format my shooting card right after I download, without having to wait until after I back up my computer each time. (Never trust having anything important in only one place.)

Sure, if you're a full-time sports or action pro you need the D4 (or D3S), but after shooting my D600 this week, the D600 is missing nothing, and adds things I do need over the D4 and D800.

Long live the D600! Adorama the rest! (Adorama is also a verb, meaning an easy way to turn your old gear into solid cash.)

Far more important than having a nice camera is having vision. Too many people spend all their time researching and buying cameras, instead of spending their lives learning how to take great pictures. Cameras don't take pictures, people do.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 am
Spends far too much time on here

Ninja'd Alex ;)

D600 is looking so freakin awesome right now.

Besides, your D3 is an epic bit of kit Mark!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]