Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
Stupid questions 
What's a life?

Yeah the 7D is quite a step up in terms of build and features.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

RE: an upgrade path. I have a DX (cropped sensor D90) camera but I have only bought 2nd hand FX lenses so far, except for the kit lens. The D90 has a built-in AF motor, allowing this option for me. If I upgrade the body to FX in the future then the lenses will still work for me. If I upgrade the body to a different DX model (with in-built AF, such as the D7000, or D600) then the lenses will still work.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am

I have to say the 7D may be getting on a bit, but the recent v2 firmware update has given it a whole new lease of life. It seems to me it now matches its bigger newer brethren in many respects.

I don't think anyone would regret buying a 7D. It's certainly still exceeding my capabilities 18 months after I bought mine.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:26 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Ok, so why the hell is the 7D (body only) £300 more than a D7000 with an 18-105 kit??

Are we at a consensus that either camera would suit my needs? Or is one better than the other?

Also, why the hell is the 7D so fracking old? Is there no replacement?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:38 pm

okenobi wrote:
Ok, so why the hell is the 7D (body only) £300 more than a D7000 with an 18-105 kit??

'Cos it's better?

*ducks while donning flameproof suit*

Why does it need a replacement? There's nothing wrong with it. If Canon issued a firmware update for it three years after launching it, then they must have planned for it to have legs to run for some time. Trust me, although I'm obviously biased, it's a stonking camera, built like a tank and more than capable of everything you want to use it for.

The choice is yours, of course. All I can do is fight my corner. I love my 7D. When the time comes to change it, I'll look at the options, consider moving to full frame, but if there's a 7D MkII that'll be top of the list.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Heather, can you comment on this please?

Ken Rockwell wrote:
See those active AF points? They look cute in a sales brochure, but the scary fact is that they stay on and stay there as you're trying to compose! They look really bad if you have an image in the finder you're trying to see, instead of a blank wall as shown above.

If you use just one AF point you'll only have one, but of course it will still be lying right over your subject. A firmware defect prevents these from going away after the focus has been locked. The Canon 5D Mark II blinks these in red, but on the 7D, they are big, black and nasty and don't go away.

I hope Canon will fix this in a future firmware update. I suspect this is done this way so it impresses people playing with the 7D in a store. The real big news about the 7D is the power switch, 3 Total Recall settings, new movie buttons and the Quick Control screen; the new meter and AF system are actually downgrades that just play well in sales brochures.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm

okenobi wrote:
This might help.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
okenobi wrote:
This might help.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Very interesting. But I don't think it really helps me to come to a decision. I can't really "afford" either at the moment, but they seem to be where it's at for DX, along with the K-5.

It's 4am and I'm still reading and have a massive headache.

Seems to me that if I want to shoot action (and I do) the 7D is the only thing this side of a D3/4 or 1D that will do it. Is it too much camera for me right now? Probably. But can I grow into it and buy decent FX lenses if I want? Absolutely.

Even if I could currently afford it, I can't see myself with an FX body right this second due to size and craziness of buttons etc. But a 3200 just isn't gonna cut it in the mountains and neither are any of the Rebels.

Does that sound right to you?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:06 am

okenobi wrote:
Heather, can you comment on this please?

Yes. The man's wrong. He sounds like he's never actually used the camera for more than a few minutes, whereas he's a big fan of the 7D.

I've never heard anyone else complaining about a "wall" of dots. They don't bother me in the slightest, and I've got the full grid turned on as well. The grid does flash red when focus locks - even in manual focus - but you have to turn it on through a menu.

In fact, if anything, I don't use the AF system to it's fullest extent. Even with the mystical "single AF point" Rockwell complains about, you can move the bugger about the grid if you want.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:04 am

Funnily enough, someone on G+ shared this YouTube series with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlBkDZ0 ... r_embedded

Mastering the 7D AF system. :geek:

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am
What's a life?

My old film cameras also had such marks in the viewer when making pictures. The EOS500 film camera had boxes and a red LED that flashed in them and my Praktica MTL3 (manual focus) had a series of boxes and rings, which would come together as the focus approached the correct distance.

To be honest, after 10 shots or so, I never noticed them when setting up a shot, just used them for the fine focusing (Praktica MTL3).

Today, on my EOS550D, I have a square, circle and point in the display, permanently and I don't generally notice them, when setting up the shot.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 am
Profile ICQ

Here's another about the 7D AF system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nBVeWs ... re=related

I actually learned something new with that one. Always learning.

It's very powerful stuff, perhaps too powerful for most hobby or amateur photographers. I tend to leave the AF system where I feel most comfortable, but I also understand when best to use the other modes and how to access them quickly.

I was just thinking, since we're all getting a bit too geeky about this stuff as it is, it's very easy to get hung up on the technicalities of each different maker's take on how their cameras operate. It is highly recommended that you go and try these things out in a good camera store, or find a friend who owns the model you're interested in and ask if you can play. The worst thing would be to read all the specs, make your decision on numbers alone, and then regret forking out a grand on a camera you're not happy with.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:14 am
What's a life?

To be honest, I probably use manual focusing for about 40% of my photos. It is one of the reasons I get very frustrated with smartphone and compact cameras, no matter how I fiddle, I can't get the framing I want with the focusing I want.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Focusing screens can be replaced if you dont like the one that comes with it. I'm tempted to replace the one in my K-5 with one for better manual focusing using fast lenses. In my film-SLR days I always liked the diagonal split focusing screen too.

I'm looking at the S Type (AF FRAME) from here http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_113

They do them for most popular DSLRs too.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Every now and then, I go through the "I need split prism focussing" agitation. It's the one thing DSLRs don't offer.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next