Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
Stupid questions 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

okenobi wrote:

On that note, Veato - you say that Canon and Nikon are faster with focussing. Do you do any "sports" photography? What lens(es) do you have for your K-5? DPReview have basically called it the highest IQ of any currently available APS-C sensored camera. Which is pretty high praise. Anything you don't like?

The other thing in the back of the mind is reviews aren't really out there for the new K-30 yet, which is very interesting...

Funnily enough I took the K-5 to a ski slope yesterday! I was at Tamworth (indoors) snapping a couple of shots of the nephew. The viewing platform is miles away so I had to rely on my (pretty rubbish) Tamron 70-300. I used the camera on shutter priority, continuous AF and auto ISO. I found focus to be acceptable given the limited speed of the lens and available light limiting the shutter speed. Of course there were plenty of missed focus shots for the bin but I'm sure there would be had I been using a Nikon/Canon. It certainly didn't make we wish I had a different camera. If anything I wanted a faster lens and Mr Sunshine!

K-30 reviews are starting to trickle out. Have a look at PentaxForums.com. Personally I'd prefer to hang on for a bit for the K-30 as with all new bodies the prices tend to drop.

I'm going through the shots this morning so I can post some if you want. I've also got shots taken with the GX10 and GX20 from previous years too if you need to see anything. Just remember the (lack of) quality of the shot might be the photographer rather than the camera :lol:

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:56 am
Profile WWW

okenobi wrote:
Anything you don't like?

The lens release button fell off (replaced under warranty)
No autofocus when doing video (although I don't 'do' video)

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

timark_uk wrote:
okenobi wrote:
Even the mirrorless bodies which are compact sized and offer decent sensors have massive interchangeable lenses. So I may as well go all the way. It either fits in your pocket, or it doesn't. As far as I'm concerned that's all there is two it. Once you're past the pocket level, the cheapness of second hand bodies makes them very interesting.
If you do end up buying a second hand DSLR, make sure you check the shutter actuations count.
Every DSLR shutter is rated for a certain amount of actuations. You'll need to check this against what the camera has done.

Good luck in your purchase. (8+)

Mark

Worth knowing, thanks Mark. Out of interest do you not advocate second hand bodies for this reason?

Veato, yeah, I'd love to see some of the output - thanks. The only things with the K-30 are the plastic body and weird battery arangement. The rest of it seems, on paper at least, to better the K-5 for less money. Which is rather interesting, but then I suppose the K-5 is rather old.

Ignoring the "weather sealing" for a minute, does every camera work in the cold? The only other thing I've thought about after another round of reading is MAYBE a four thirds with a tiny pancake MIGHT be pocketable enough for "everyday" and then have better lenses in a bag for on mountain shooting. The sensors seem a fair bit smaller, and it's contingent on me finding a pancake/body combo that fits in a pocket. Dunno how likely that is. These fixed pancake lenses are presumable supposed to be good for landscapes and low light? Or is it other stuff?

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Other makes do produce some models with weather sealing. I don't know the merits of the other systems though and it never seems to be pushed in marketing as much as Pentax push it. But then maybe that's because Pentax need to work harder than the popular two to take your money?

A Micro 4/3rds and pancake is a nice option but remember a lot of the more compact bodies offer very little in the way of external controls if you want DSLR like controllability. The upper end of the PEN range and the Lumix GX1 have a few button and knobs IIRC.

I almost got a pancake for my K-5 as Pentax make some stupidly thin ones. In the end I got the X10 as I didn't want to be restricted by a single focal length when travelling light. http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/177428-k-5-silver-special-edition-w-silver-40mm-xs-lens.html#post1849506

I'll dig some shots out later - not sure how many 'sporty' types I've got though. At least it will give you some real world examples.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

okenobi wrote:
Ignoring the "weather sealing" for a minute, does every camera work in the cold?

Well, yes, up to a point. Below a certain temperature there's a risk the lubricants used in the reflex system might thicken up.

Batteries will always be an issue in low temperatures, too. The usual recommendation is to carry several spare charged batteries in pockets close to your skin. When a battery appears to be losing charge, swap it out for a warm one, slipping the cold one in to warm up a bit.

Weather sealing is something that doesn't seem to be a major selling point for some manufacturers, which is odd. From Canon, sealing starts with the 7D and upwards - not certain the XXD range has any sealing to speak of.

The 7D is pretty much bulletproof, if the DigitalRev hardcore durability test is to go by... :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Mind you, I won't be trying to drop mine any time soon!

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 pm

okenobi wrote:
Out of interest do you not advocate second hand bodies for this reason?
It's not that I don't advocate buying second-hand, I'm just saying you should take shutter actuations into account when buying.
You're investing a lot of money in a system when you buy a DSLR, if the shutter fails when outside the recommended count by the manufacturer it may mean a new body (I don't know the cost of replacement shutters).
It's highly unlikely that the shutter will fail - I've not heard of anyone that has reported this, but it's a bargaining tool for you as a buyer and it lets the person you are buying from understand that you're not a total n00b. (8+)

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the awesome info in this thread :)

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:47 pm
What's a life?

I read about shutter actuations when I was looking at dSLRs. Most of them seem to be in the 100-150k range and given that only a pro would get into that region, I doubt it's be much of an issue.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:18 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I read about shutter actuations when I was looking at dSLRs. Most of them seem to be in the 100-150k range and given that only a pro would get into that region, I doubt it's be much of an issue.
That entirely depends on how old the second-hand body is. Also, if the seller did a lot of HDR then bracketing would've been used.
Yes, it's unlikely that the rating will be reached, but it's certainly not out of the question for 50% of that rating to have been reached.

Mark

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

So how many actuations would be enough to stop you from buying your perfect camera? 50%? 30%? 10%?

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:03 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
So how many actuations would be enough to stop you from buying your perfect camera? 50%? 30%? 10%?
That depends on manufacturer recommended count, actual count performed and asking price of the body.
In short, impossible to say.

Mark

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 pm
Profile WWW

okenobi wrote:
veato wrote:
I just want to point out that Pentax, Sony and Sigma also currently make DSLRs ;)

So in light of that and this:

timark_uk wrote:
Once you've invested in glass, you tend to stick with that particular make, because of the associated costs with replacing everything.

How does one differentiate between the brands? All I know so far is that Mark, Jimmy Olsen and Peter Parker use Nikon and everybody else seems to use Canon.

When I was starting out, Canon and Nikon were the only brands that covered a full range from beginner to pro, so I limited my choice to those. Canon offered a full-frame camera, which appealed, but I presumed Nikon would follow in time (they did). I went to Jacobs (sadly in administration at present, but still trading) and got talking to a guy there. I took a few shots with the entry level and intermediate level cameras of both, and the Canons both just felt more natural in my hands in terms of layout of controls. I'd found the Canon lens range much more straightforward in terms of knowing compatibility, and I liked the feel of the camera I'd likely be upgrading to in a few years times.

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 am

Right, some things have changed with regard to my future plans/employment prospects and I wanted to take all of the info in this thread and pair it with everything else I've since discovered/read, in order to refine my questions.

I want a small sensor camera that will have the following (in no particular order at the moment):
1) Fast enough AF for tracking sports. In particular, skiers/snowboarders, but I'd like to try motorbike trials and motorsport too when I'm not in the Alps.
2) Decent low light performance. I want to shoot cityscapes, indoor without a flash, and the stars (and possibly HDR).
3) Video is not a concern either way as I imagine a compact will be tons better anyway.
4) Decent build, as the primary initial use for this purchase will be on mountain.

Possibly the least important, but I'm still considering it:
5) An upgrade path if I end up becoming good at this. So perhaps buying FX lenses to begin with, not sure.

Price will unfortunately play a key role here, but I don't want an entry-level body and thus far, these are the contenders:
1) Nikon D7000
2) Canon 7D
3) Pentax K-5

The 60D seems like a slightly better Rebel to me, is that fair?

So far, it seems the 7D is the most expensive and oldest. Not sure how I feel about that. But it appears to be the best built and definitely has the fastest burst mode. The D7000 is significantly cheaper, appears to have faster autofocus (particularly with better glass), but I'm not sure if the build is equivalent. The K-5 seems to be perfect on build, weather sealing and IQ, but I'm unsure as to the AF performance with my intended application and the upgrade path and pricing of available for glass for said application.

Thoughts?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 am
What's a life?

okenobi wrote:

The Rebel line is just the US name for the Canon D series. No differences in the spec, as far as I know.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 am

ProfessorF wrote:
okenobi wrote:

The Rebel line is just the US name for the Canon D series. No differences in the spec, as far as I know.

What I meant was, it's just a slightly better 600/650D, whereas the 7D is in a different league. As least that's how it appears to me?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next