Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Stupid questions 

big_D wrote:
okenobi wrote:
Those with an SLR and glasses, does pressing your expensive glasses up against a viewfinder never get annoying or even sometimes damaging to your glasses?

I use the dioptric adjustment on the viewfinder and I can take photos without needing my glasses on. I guess it will depend on what exactly you need.

I can't adjust it enough for my eyesight without the specs. I know you can get different viewfinder dioptre thingies, but I've not heard a good thing about them. I see enough of the viewfinder to frame properly and see the readout below the image.

okenobi wrote:
Yes, I would be wanting to ski with it (amongst other activities in the future).

If you plan on skiing with a camera, then a full frame DSLR with a couple of lenses will probably cramp your style. I'd think in terms of a good compact or 4/3rds that you can slip in a bumbag or small backpack. A good compact won't make you cry so much if you happen to fall and break it...

As Mark said, it's not about the gear. It's very easy to get hung up on megapixels and frame size; the current religion is low light performance, before it was frames per second, before that how fast was the autofocus. You really need to work out what sort of photography you plan on doing and buy a camera or system that works for that. Don't try to run before you can walk. :)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am
Spends far too much time on here

Mark, thanks for the SPAG police. I should know better. I want to take better "looking" photos. I'll give you an example:

I took this on my friends 500D in Italy. I have no idea what settings it was on, it might've even been the dreaded auto. I've then played with it a very tiny bit in Lightroom.

The difference between how that subjectively looks to me and how it would've looked taken on my compact, is huge. There's something about proper glass and a bigger sensor which I can't define beyond "it looks way better". As for a purpose, I'm thinking with the mountains in mind, and other travel. So I suppose primary uses would be "sports" (skiing), landscapes and I love night photography and low light. I'm also potentially interested in HDR. Large prints are of interest. Especially of the skiing.

Al, thanks for that and those links. Off to have a read. Knowing nothing, the 24-105 sounds like it might a useful replacement for a kit lens for my intended application - thoughts?

I didn't know that there was dioptic adjustment on cameras. But I doubt it'll cover astigmatism. The other problem I'll have in that regard is that in the snow I'm ofting shooting with polarised sunglasses as I won't have my regular glasses with me. With an LCD screen this is fine, but it's more difficult with an EVF. For example with the new EOS-M, there is a screen but no viewfinder. Would that suit me better? Or would you just shout at me for wearing sunglasses when shooting?

Finally, as to Heather's point. I've had some pretty high speed fails with my Lumix TZ in my leg/cargo pocket (in a small neoprene case) and it's been fine. This would be more of a have it in my bag and whip it out when shooting for a bit/stationary. The compact would still be for those moments that unfold before I could take the bag of my back.

Thanks for your patience guys. I did title the thread appropriately!

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 am

okenobi wrote:
Knowing nothing, the 24-105 sounds like it might a useful replacement for a kit lens for my intended application - thoughts?

If you get a small sensor camera, then remember it'll effectively be 40-170mm. Also it may be false economy to buy a cheap lens to replace the kit lens. The good Canon EF 24-105mm lens is more expensive than most of the Canon bodies alone. :o

I would say stick with the kit lens - it'll be good enough to get you started. Perhaps add a mid-range zoom (55-250mm) to begin with. You can sometimes find these lenses as a bundle with a body. It's worth shopping around.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/canon-fi ... &ShowAll=1

That's the current range of Canon lenses, sorted by price. EF lenses fit all EOS DSLR bodies, EF-S only fit the small sensor bodies.

Apologies for the Canon bias. It's what I know best, being a Canonista. Other camera and lens makers are also available.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

okenobi wrote:
The other problem I'll have in that regard is that in the snow I'm ofting shooting with polarised sunglasses as I won't have my regular glasses with me. With an LCD screen this is fine, but it's more difficult with an EVF. For example with the new EOS-M, there is a screen but no viewfinder. Would that suit me better? Or would you just shout at me for wearing sunglasses when shooting?

Polarised lenses can be very beneficial, especially in certain conditions such as snow, water and mountains with plenty of sunlight. If you wear polarised sunnies and your camera doesn't then the images you capture may disappoint.

Also polarised sunnies may interfere with an image you frame/review on an LCD by making it dark. If it works in landscape then it will be dark in portrait or vice versa (although sometimes this blackout effect may be more noticeable at other angles).

If your camera lens has a polarised filter and you have polarised sunnies then again you can get blackout.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 am

Wexphoto have this EOS 650D and lens bundle on the go right now.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-cano ... s/p1531369

Ooh! Free bag! :shock:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am

HeatherKay wrote:
I would say stick with the kit lens - it'll be good enough to get you started. Perhaps add a mid-range zoom (55-250mm) to begin with. You can sometimes find these lenses as a bundle with a body. It's worth shopping around.

+1

Learn the camera first, and once you know it well and start to reach the capabilities of the lens then consider purchasing new kit.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am
What's a life?

One thought about an EVF - some of them are hard to read in bright light. The sort of light you might expect to find somewhere very white, and reflective. At altitude. On a clear day.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 am

ProfessorF wrote:
One thought about an EVF - some of them are hard to read in bright light. The sort of light you might expect to find somewhere very white, and reflective. At altitude. On a clear day.

I'd budget for at least two spare batteries in that case. :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:26 am

So all in all. It's fracking expensive. In a nutshell.

That being the case, is a seond hand 400D a sensible purchase to then have a play with one or two lenses max?! For now at least?

Having read your recommended posts Al, I'm very interested in the second hand/last years model vibe. What else can I get in a body for a couple of hundred quid that will allow me to learn?

And without wanting to start a flame war (or garner requests for me to go to my local camera shop and have a play, coz you obviously don't realise where I live!) can the fundamental differences between Nikon and Canon by summarised easily? Are they better at different applications for instance? Are the lenses interchangeable?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

In terms of DSLRs I only have experience using Pentax bodies so that's where I looked first.

The K-5 is available with an 18-135mm Water Resistant lens for £1k (the body is also WR). I quite like that as a starting option, especially the WR for outdoor use. A spare battery, bag and a couple of SDHC cards and you're good to go - about £1200 I reckon. Of course the lens isn't particularly fast but then it depends what you're spending.

With money to burn I'd take the 15mm, 31mm and 77mm Pentax limited prime lenses ;)

Last edited by veato on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

okenobi wrote:
And without wanting to start a flame war (or garner requests for me to go to my local camera shop and have a play, coz you obviously don't realise where I live!) can the fundamental differences between Nikon and Canon by summarised easily? Are they better at different applications for instance? Are the lenses interchangeable?
Lenses are not interchangeable between Canon and Nikon without an adapter.
There are no fundamental differences at the moment for you, because you don't already have lenses for either.
Once you've invested in glass, you tend to stick with that particular make, because of the associated costs with replacing everything.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:30 pm
Profile WWW

okenobi wrote:

I just want to point out that Pentax, Sony and Sigma also currently make DSLRs ;)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile WWW

veato wrote:
okenobi wrote:

I just want to point out that Pentax, Sony and Sigma also currently make DSLRs ;)

So in light of that and this:

timark_uk wrote:
Once you've invested in glass, you tend to stick with that particular make, because of the associated costs with replacing everything.

How does one differentiate between the brands? All I know so far is that Mark, Jimmy Olsen and Peter Parker use Nikon and everybody else seems to use Canon.

veato wrote:
In terms of DSLRs I only have experience using Pentax bodies so that's where I looked first.

The K-5 is available with an 18-135mm Water Resistant lens for £1k (the body is also WR). I quite like that as a starting option, especially the WR for outdoor use. A spare battery, bag and a couple of SDHC cards and you're good to go - about £1200 I reckon. Of course the lens isn't particularly fast but then it depends what you're spending.

With money to burn I'd take the 15mm, 31mm and 77mm Pentax limited prime lenses ;)

This is interesting, coz outdoor (and winter) use will be one of, if not THE, primary uses of the camera.

Still, any ideas on cheapy second hand bodies to get me access to learning and interchangeable lenses? Anything that I NEED to go to a certain age or newer for (with my intended applications)?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:11 pm

okenobi wrote:
All I know so far is that Mark, Jimmy Olsen and Peter Parker use Nikon and everybody else seems to use Canon.
New sig! (8+D

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

okenobi wrote:
[This is interesting, coz outdoor (and winter) use will be one of, if not THE, primary uses of the camera.

Still, any ideas on cheapy second hand bodies to get me access to learning and interchangeable lenses? Anything that I NEED to go to a certain age or newer for (with my intended applications)?

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/09/us-soldier-shows-off-the-hardcore-dust-and-weather-sealing-of-his-2-pentax-slrs/ then you should see this!

Re. Canon and Nikon.
We have both in the department at work.
Nikon D300s, D90s, D40s, D3000s, lots of Nikon glass.
A few Canon 550Ds, a couple of EOS film bodies. Some Canon glass.

The hardest working cameras - the ones that go out most often? The Canons.
We seem to struggle getting the D300 or any of the D90s to be as sharp as the Canons - now to qualify that, I have a feeling that the bodies need to go back to Nikon for calibration and it's almost certainly an issue that could occur with the Canons.
Most people seem to get on better with the Canon UI, rather than the Nikons.
But go and play with some and see what works for you; there's no right or wrong answer.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next