Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Toe back in the water 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hey all

Look to be getting back into photgraphy since my old Zenit days lol. Ah, the fond memories of getting high on chemicals in a darkened room are a thing of the past. :D

Heading back into the budget end and picking up a Canon Eos 1100d + 18-55mm IS kit in the next couple of weeks.

Any pointers for good value for money memory cards and UV filters, preferably from Amazon (I haz vouchers :D )?

I've been having a look at this card clicky and this UV filter clciky (as I seem to remember Hoya being good quality) but if any of you fine ladies and gents have particular good value recommendations I'd appreciate it. ;)

Anything else I've forgotten? :roll: :D

Cheers

Dan

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Can't complain about SanDisk. All my cards are from them.

As for the UV filter, well, I don't bother any more. It's up to you if you want to throw money after one. ;) :mrgreen:

Think about a spare battery. It's always nice to know you have a charged spare about your person when you are out and about with the camera.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:41 pm
What's a life?

Look at the camera's memory card requirements and go one class above, to allow adequate headroom. Nowt wrong with SanDisk. Get more than one memory card in case one runs out.

I have a Hoya 58mm filter. Not really had a chance to fully try it out but it definitely makes a positive difference to photos.

+1 for spare battery - I really needed one and I have just a P&S.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:58 pm
What's a life?

adidan wrote:
Ah, the fond memories of getting high on chemicals in a darkened room are a thing of the past.

We're noticing a resurgence of wet film processing at work. I've been asked to get in some alternative photo process chemistry at work, cos a lot of our kids are keen to get into trying film again.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Ooh, thanks for the reminder on a spare battery HK and C_W, completely not thought about that. Don't want to find that perfect shot and have no battery to take it with. :D

As for the UV filter, I think I'm always a tad paranoid, I always had one in the past mainly to protect the lens. Oh, and it makes cleaning a tad easier. :D

ProfessorF wrote:
We're noticing a resurgence of wet film processing at work. I've been asked to get in some alternative photo process chemistry at work, cos a lot of our kids are keen to get into trying film again.

TBH even though it's not as popular nowadays (I guess) I would still recommend learning the processes. I spent many happy hours in the darkroom tinkering away and it does give lots of useful experience, things that you can then take away and use in the field.

After I get the camera the next thing will be to trawl the astrophotography forums. I fancy getting hold of a telescope and adapter although I do realise I can't expect Hubblesque pictures unless I spend a fortune on a top o' the range scope and then hire a jumbo to take me above most of the atmosphere. :lol: Still fancy giving it a go.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm
What's a life?

adidan wrote:
I fancy getting hold of a telescope and adapter

I want to have a go at this some time. Love to take night time pics.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:55 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
adidan wrote:
I fancy getting hold of a telescope and adapter

I want to have a go at this some time. Love to take night time pics.

Aye, that's a whole load more reading to do. :D

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 pm

adidan wrote:
As for the UV filter, I think I'm always a tad paranoid, I always had one in the past mainly to protect the lens. Oh, and it makes cleaning a tad easier. :D

lol, that's the exact reason I still have one on my old Pentax MX :lol:

- darn, the film in that must be 10 years old now. I wonder if there was anything on it :oops:

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
adidan wrote:

lol, that's the exact reason I still have one on my old Pentax MX :lol:

- darn, the film in that must be 10 years old now. I wonder if there was anything on it :oops:

:D

Seems I'm not alone then, I also have a film left in my GFs camera. I've not had an SLR for years but my GF had an EOS that I got my hands on, I think it still has a b&w film laying around in it. :oops: :D

I think I lost interest in photography at the time when I lost my darkroom, it was my cousin's husband's gear but it had to go back when they split up. Years ago that. I kept getting frustrated with poor development and not having the control.

Speaking of that, do any of you guys print off your photos? Do you use a service or have a photo printer that's up to the job?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 am
What's a life?

adidan wrote:
Speaking of that, do any of you guys print off your photos? Do you use a service or have a photo printer that's up to the job?

I occasionally do a 'proper' print from an enlarger at work.
We also have a couple of nice printers - an Epson 3800 and a 7800 - which I use occasionally.
We're hopefully exploring ways of getting a traditional print from a digital file this year. Should be fun.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35 am

ProfessorF wrote:
I occasionally do a 'proper' print from an enlarger at work.
We also have a couple of nice printers - an Epson 3800 and a 7800 - which I use occasionally.
We're hopefully exploring ways of getting a traditional print from a digital file this year. Should be fun.

Handy that, just had a check on the Epsom prices, think I'll be taking my card in to have prints done. :D

I had a quick google on the best photographic printer and was a tad dismayed to see one recommended one was over £5k. :lol:

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 am

ProfessorF wrote:
adidan wrote:
Ah, the fond memories of getting high on chemicals in a darkened room are a thing of the past.

Ilford/Harman are releasing a pinhole camera using positive photo papers. I'd love to get my hands on it and give some basic developing a go.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 am
Profile WWW

adidan wrote:
I had a quick google on the best photographic printer and was a tad dismayed to see one recommended one was over £5k. :lol:

To be honest, almost any office inkjet these days is more than capable of producing excellent photo prints. The problem really is the cost of the ink.

Quote:
Today we’re going to take a look at the Canon PIXMA MG6120 Wireless Photo All-in-One Printer. This is basically an A4 or Letter paper size printer, with a scanner built into the top, but despite that, it’s a sleek looking machine, with various feature that make it well worth the price tag of under $100 US, or almost twice that at around ¥15,000 in Japan. I bought mine almost three months ago, for reasons that I’ll get into shortly, but having recently tried it as a photo printer as well, I have to tell you, I was very pleasantly surprised with the results.

http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com ... er-review/

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am
What's a life?

veato wrote:
Ilford/Harman are releasing a pinhole camera using positive photo papers. I'd love to get my hands on it and give some basic developing a go.

I'm hoping to go and have a play with one when they arrive next week at out stockists.

Charlie Brooker wrote:

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
To be honest, almost any office inkjet these days is more than capable of producing excellent photo prints. The problem really is the cost of the ink.

Thanks HK and thanks for the link.

TBH although I've built several computers over the past few years I've never looked at printers during that time. My inkjet is ancient but as I only ever print off in b&w text it's never been an issue.

I'll have a look see I think. Although now that has just given me the idea of salvaging two old defunkt laptops and ripping their screens off to make big digital photo frames.

Oooh, new project. :D

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next