Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Cleaning the lens 
What's a life?

belchingmatt wrote:
On a dive you can use the palm of your hand to set white balance.

I've seen experienced DOPs using the palm of their hand to take light readings on land...

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:48 pm
What's a life?

Just got the lenspen thing. Tried it on the LCD screen and it seemed to just push the dirt around rather than any actual cleaning. Seemed to clean the lens ok but need to angle the lens in the light to see if it's left any smearing behind.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Just got the lenspen thing. Tried it on the LCD screen and it seemed to just push the dirt around rather than any actual cleaning. Seemed to clean the lens ok but need to angle the lens in the light to see if it's left any smearing behind.

Like I said, huff and microfibre cloth. :D

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:

I've had success with the lenspen to the point where the glass looked gleaming afterwards. I brushed away any dust first and gave it a good rub with the pen. There was some smearing to begin with but it went with a few more rubs. I don't use it as much now as it's getting a bit old and leaving black bits behind so like Heather said I'm more of a huff and wipe with a cloth guy when I'm out and about. I did use it on the 50mm last week though at home and was still pleased.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Well I went and bought the Spudz cleaning cloth off Amazon. Went for the 10x10 one, which I guess is a bit big for my needs but folds up quite nicely. I've now attached it to my camera case.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:17 am
What's a life?

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539/~/how-do-i-clean-the-camera-lens?

Quote:
How do I clean the camera lens?

The best way to clean a lens is to use a piece of lint free lens cleaning tissue and a small amount of Lens Cleaning solution. Do not use anything containing abrasives or solvents, only use Lens Cleaning Solution.

First we recommend taking a small blower brush to blow off or brush away loose dust or debris.

Next, place a drop or two of cleaner on the tissue (never directly onto the lens) and then wipe the lens in a circular motion, beginning in the center and working your way outward, removing any marks or smear.

If the above supplies are not available a clean, dry, soft, lint free cloth can be used to clean the lens. Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids in breath that can damage lens coatings. Just use the blower bulb, then brush, and wipe the lens in a circular spiral from the center outward.

The same method can be used to clean the viewfinder eyepiece of Nikon cameras.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Nikon have apparently removed the advice not to breathe on your lens now.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3