Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Buying from independents 
What's a life?

I'm looking into accessories for my G12 camera - mainly flash/remote release, maybe a filter adaptor and filters.

Struggling to find the parts online and there are some retailers who I've no experience with:

wilkinsoncameras
cameraworld
castlecameras
jacobsdigital
bristolcameras

Anyone had experience with any of this lot?
Where do you buy your bits from?

Amazon tend to be either resellers or overly priced compared to some of the independents. eBay doesn't have all of the things I'm after.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Amazon.

Almost all the accessory bits, like batteries, straps, remote cables and stuff, come from Amazon traders. Not had a problem, and generally the best prices around.

The others you named are all well-known and pretty reliable. I've certainly purchased items from some of them. The other one you didn't mention is Warehouse Express.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm
What's a life?

Actually, I looked briefly at warehouse express but didn't get a chance to see if they had everything I wanted.

Any particular Amazon sellers you'd recommend/have used without problems?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Any particular Amazon sellers you'd recommend/have used without problems?

Can't name a particular one, because it depends on which is cheapest when I want to buy! I've purchased spare OEM batteries, official Canon accessories and various other bits without issues. In many ways, in my experience, the sellers try to give better service and usually ship stuff promptly.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I've used Park, Cameraworld, Jacobs, SRS Microsystems and Warehouseexpress and had good experiences. I've also used Simply Electronics once successfully and once to near disaster so I'll be avoiding them in the future.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Can't fault Park Cameras, we used them at work recently. They were great. If I'm ever spending lots of money on camera stuff again, I'll be asking them for a quote first.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 pm
What's a life?

CameraWorld is my local camera shop. They have a bricks and mortar presence here in Chelmsford, and in London (near Oxford Street). They know their stuff. When I’m in town, I always check their second hand displays just incase something useful pops up there, which it has from time to time.

You may also want to try SRS Microsystems - based in Watford they will probably be spoken of highly by other forumites here. It’s where my sister buys all her stuff from, and she has nothing bad to say about them.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 pm
What's a life?

Gah! Ordered some stuff from warehouse express (flash, diffuser, filter adaptor, filter, batteries) to the tune of £250 or so. Went for Saturday delivery as my sister said she wouldn't be home tomorrow. Found out that we're going off to see my recently widowed aunt and meant I couldn't take the delivery. There appeared to be no option to change the delivery date other than for other Saturdays, which is a bit frustrating.

So I've cancelled the order. Had a look at the credit card account and they've charged despite telling me they haven't! :evil:

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]