Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Light Modifiers 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Has anyone seen those coloured gels which fit over your flashgun to colour the light produced? Well I fancied a go but am not keen on forking out silly money. I had an idea that I could buy some form of thin sheet plastic and cut it to size and tape it on. So I popped into a local craft shop (Shawes I think its called in Notts) and bought a blue, yellow and green sheet of thin acetate for 60p a go! I havent used it yet but when I get around to having a play I'll let you know how it goes. They also sell thicker acetate for about £1 that's semi-transparent and I wondered if this could work out to be a cheap diffuser? Maybe another time.

I did once read about someone who used the old cellophane wrappers from Quality Street on thier flashgun too. Shame I dont have any Quality Street ;)

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

You can use tracing paper as a diffuser, in fact lighting technicians call it 'trace' for that reason (although the proper stuff isn't paper, of course).
Cheaper than the acetate I'd bet too.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am
Doesn't have much of a life

veato wrote:
I did once read about someone who used the old cellophane wrappers from Quality Street on thier flashgun too. Shame I dont have any Quality Street ;)

There is an article in (last month's) DSLR Photography where they point out that you can do just that. The results of this kind of experimentation are certainly different.

I would consider doing this, but as I'm on a diet I'm afraid that chocolate wrappers are not an option. :(

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm
Site Admin

I uses to use gel from my lighting rigs. Works great.
My lomo camera's quite often have random bits of coloured plastic on the flash

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]