Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Speaker Cable 
Site Admin

Anyone got any thoughts of the benefits of more expensive cable?
I've got QED flat cable on some speakers and QED Silver Anniversary on others with Onkyo amps & Mordaunt Short speakers and I can't really tell any difference in sound (it's only £1800 worth of kit, might make a difference with more expensive stuff). I can tell the difference in cheap cable and what I've got but not between these 2.

Main reason I'm asking is that I need to move my rack so will need to rewire the front 3 speakers & there's £3 a metre difference in price, that could save me £80+ (which I could spend on nice faceplates)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

I noticed a slight difference on £180 speakers between the £2/m stuff I had and the QED Silver Anni on there now. But I think you're right, as long as it's reasonable cable and not total crap, save the money.

Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

I have only ever noticed positive gains when using thicker gauge wire for my speakers - power requires girth. :D

Thu May 21, 2009 5:58 pm
Site Admin

snowyweston wrote:
I have only ever noticed positive gains when using thicker gauge wire for my speakers - power requires girth. :D

I agree Snowy.

The QED flat stuff I use is 3mm x 1mm per core so it's decent stuff. The Silver Anniversary stuff appears to have a similar amount of copper.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Speaker Cabling is one of those "things" like Mac vs PC that divides otherwise (nearly) sane people. I have a decent "mi-fi" system using very similar cabling to the silver signature, and it sounds fine. I had some expensive cables demo'ed by a posh dealer on an identical system in their "suite" and couldn't really tell the difference, though it was easy to hear the difference between various CD players and other sources.

In my opinion, therefore, decent quality cables will suit you fine. No need for anything exotic at all.....

Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I'm of the opinion that if you can't hear (or indeed see) any difference then there is little point in paying the extra.

If you are in travelling distance of Ipswich then Signals might be worth a look at as they will try to match up the best cables for your system without going nuts on price (unless you want to). I might be a bit biased as it's run by a relative of mine though. :)

Sun May 31, 2009 8:31 pm
Occasionally has a life

TNT Audio (the site) has something called the FFRC recipe which is speaker cables made from CAT5. This seemed to be something of legend for many years but you don't hear so much about it these days. It was allegedly way more 'open' than the QED stuff and even some of the cheaper Kimber kit.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html

There used to be a site called 'Audioreview' where there were rave reviews of it too. You make up the sets by 'braiding' and terminate them with banana plugs.

Edit:

Found it

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/cables/s ... 84crx.aspx

http://www.avforums.com/forums/intercon ... cable.html

CJROSS the name that crops up in those posts was one of the people who used to rave about it on the Hifi Choice forums many years ago. I got someone to knock me up a set and I was impressed, sounded like a damn speaker upgrade they were so good.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:18 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

I just use the stuff that came with my JVCs for the sattelites in my system. Its like as thick as mains wire (think extension cable), and has a clear sleeve over it.

I use some wire from a PA system for my sub though, as the jvc stuff got warm, lol

Apologies for spelling mistakes, on mobile.

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]