Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
SVideo over Composite? 
Has a life

Hi all,

I have a VGA composite line running about 15 or 16m from my living room into my TV card in my PC. It's a Sky feed - the main feed goes into the TV on HDMI and this is a SCART to RCA Composite cable.
Since we just got Sky HD, there's an S Video out which I could use instead.
I know I won't ever get HD from it, that's fine. But will the image quality be noticeably better over S Video than my existing Composite?

Thanks,
Diz.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm
Site Admin

S-Video should give a better picture quality the composite however I believe it's limited to around 5m.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

You might be restricted to what channels you can watch due to macrovision and other Sky encoding on their streams (to prevent you recording it at the same time on an unapproved device), and also whatever is on you will be forced to watch

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:07 am
Has a life

Well I never record on this, I just use it to keep half an eye on whatever 'er in the other room is watching while I work.
From what I've seen it seems to be effective over a lot more than 5m, moreover if you want serious length you can split it to UTP cable and push it hundreds of feet.

What I'd rather like to know is if I'd see the improvement on my input (PC-Hauppauge PCI card, MAC-Elgato eyetv250+)

Any thoughts gents?

Who checks the veracity (if any) of pages like this one?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_m ... _the_range
Sounds like a stretch (pun intended).

Ta.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]