Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Streaming set-up 
What's a life?

I have my iMac in the cellar. I have my Sony 5.1 Hi-Fi receiver in the lounge, with a BD Player attached.

I have a DVD/CD as well. But I have around 300 CDs in cartons in the cellar and nowhere to put them, sensibly, on shelves and all of the music is ripped onto my iMac anyway. My girlfriend is currently trying to fill up the limited shelf space in my office with CDs! I want to keep them in the cartons stored away somewhere out of the way.

The iMac, however, sleeps when I don't use it...

I currently use a WD MyBook and Carbonite for backup.

There is a wi-fi router upstairs in the hall.

My idea was to put a NAS on the router (I can probably hide a small one under the shoe cupboard). The NAS would be DNLA or similar equipped and I would stream to a wireless streaming client attached to the Hi-Fi.

Am I going in the right direction? Has anyone any experience and can suggest options?

I looked at a post on the previous page of this section, where Saspro advised a Squeezebox Duet, but it isn't clear from their site if they can stream from a NAS with DNLA support. (Internet streaming isn't really of interest at the moment, I just want to access my music currently, having internet streaming might be of interest later, but it is irrelevant for the start, getting my technophobe girlfriend to use a basic streaming music solution is going to be hard enough! :lol: )

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

The squeezebox uses squeezecentre software however IIRC it can stream from some brands of NAS.
I use a Netgear Readynas NV and I've installed firefly on it so it becomes an itunes server & can stream to the squeezeboxes if needed.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Thanks, I'll give the Readynas a look.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Had a quick look at Amazon,

Duet - 279€
ReadyNAS RND4000-100EUS NV+ 359€
4 x Samsung F2 1.5TB drives 72€ e.a.

Would look at running RAID 5 on the device - I'll also use it for backups of the Macs in the house...

Interestingly, Netgear recommend their own "Digital Entertainer", never heard of that before. Looks to be about the same price as a Duet... But includes a 500GB local drive and can playback video and music. Sounds interesting.

With that, I could start without the ReadyNAS and add it in later...

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:29 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Bleh! Colour me stupid... I could also use an Apple TV... As the music is all currently on my iMac, wouldn't the Apple TV probably be the easiest solution?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

You could use an apple TV box.
If you install the boxee/xbmc hack on it it's even more useful.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Decisions, decisions... Torn between the readynas / squeezebox or Netgera solution and Apple TV... :?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Apple TV + XBMC then upgrade to a Nas at a later date (as XBMC on apple TV will support it)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Bought an Apple TV on the way home from work on Thursday. It is very nice, the only really annoying things are:

You can't play music without turning on the television to select the album - as it is a "TV" device, this isn't really a surprise, but it is annoying, if you just want to listen to music. The Duet allows you to select music over the remote, which would be an advantage.

When streaming podcasts, if I pause them, they seem to restart from the beginning... :? Synced podcasts are fine, but the live streaming ones just seem to reset.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:05 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Have you installed XBMC on it yet?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Can't you VNC it or something from your iPod, Dave?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm
Site Admin

ProfessorF wrote:
Can't you VNC it or something from your iPod, Dave?

I wonder if the free remote app could connect.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I haven't installed XBMC. We are in the middle of moving, so haven't really had much of a chance to do much with it, other than listen to a couple of podcasts and watch Kröd Mandoon with my brother, when he came to stay - my only purchase from the iTunes Store (other than iPhone Apps)... I had bought the HD version, so it looked very good.

I don't currently have any media that needs the XBMC specifically, although I had thought about archiving the 1000 odd DVDs I have...

I'll have a look at the remote app...

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

The remote app is really good!

I use it all the time to listen to music from my Mac Mini from bed in the mornings/evenings.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:09 pm
What's a life?

The Apple TV was a bad move. :(

Girlfriend is freaked out, it is all to much for her. I give out too much money and she doesn't understand technology etc. :( Looks like I'll still have to unpack the CD player and all the CDs... :?

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next