Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
7.1 AV Amps... 
What's a life?

Hello folks..

I've currently got a 5.1 setup and I'm thinking of upgrading to 7.1 since now I tend to be buying a lot of stuff on BluRay. the 5.1 setup will then be connected to my PC upstairs :). I've got an idea of the speakers I want to get but I've found 3 very similar amps and I'd like a few second opinions..

The three main candidates are

Sony STR-DA2400ES
Pioneer VSX919H
Denon AVR1910

All three are, in spec terms, pretty much identical. As a wildcard I also might throw in the Onkyo TXSR607 which has more HDMI inputs that the others but apparently only upsamples to 1080i, which would actually be downsampling if I was watching a BR. The amp will be hooked up via HDMI to a 1080P capable TV set.

I really can't find anything to differentiate between the top 3 and all review well well (from what reviews I can find on the web). Can anyone find a USP for any of these, or should I just go for the sony 'cos it's a bit cheaper. Or does anyone have any other suggestions (500 quid is the budget limit).

Thanks for any comments, opinions etc.

Jon

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I have a Pioneer VSX-1017 and would recommend the brand as I found the quality to be more than satisfactory and the features such as USB slot for playing mp3s on a USB stick were a welcome bonus

Does your blu ray player support 7.1? HDMI it should, over optical it might not, but IF it does, you could get a lower end one and use optical + direct HDMI to TV

Some don't so it's worth checking first

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 pm
Site Admin

Personally I'd go for the Onkyo.

It only upscales if the souce material isn't better (IIRC you can always turn it off).

I've got the 605 & it passes 1080p straight through from my HTPC, PS3 & Xbox360. I've also set mine to pass through the wii at 576p

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

There are reviews and detailed specifications for all four and some alternatives here.

Which is better is really down to your personal needs and preferences as none of the four products could be considered poor.

For instance for me a multi channel input (for my SACD player) is a must, which would rule out the Onkyo.
I'd also like a phono stage for my record player and video up-conversion for my region 1 DVD player.
Which would leave the Sony as the most suitable for my needs, but not necessarily yours.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 pm
Has a life

like saspro i have an onkyo too but the 606 with kef 7.1 speakers.its a nice piece of kit and i would recommend onkyo to anyone and they have the added benefit of keeping your room toasty warm in winter too ;)
im not really sure why you would need 7.1 as most blu rays are only 5.1 and its the amp that creates the sound to the extra 2 channels,although having purchased the lord of the rings trilogy a few weeks ago which as 6.1.
probably sounds a bit stupid with me having 7.1 speakers but my living room is quite big so the extra ambience that comes from the 2 extra speakers in testing was quite beneficial to me.

cheers spunky

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 am
Spends far too much time on here

Go listen to them. All the specs in the world don't mean anything if you don't like the sound they produce.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:28 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

spunkymonkey wrote:
Im not really sure why you would need 7.1 as most blu rays are only 5.1 and its the amp that creates the sound to the extra 2 channels,although having purchased the lord of the rings trilogy a few weeks ago which as 6.1.
probably sounds a bit stupid with me having 7.1 speakers but my living room is quite big so the extra ambience that comes from the 2 extra speakers in testing was quite beneficial to me.
cheers spunky

7.1 is less of a 'must have' than HDMI switching to be honest, but it's more of a case of future-proofing. There may not be a lot of 7.1 films now but there will be soon enough. if I'm going to chuck several hundred quid at an amp, I'm going to want to be using it for a good few years.

Jon

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 am
Site Admin

jonbwfc wrote:
spunkymonkey wrote:
Im not really sure why you would need 7.1 as most blu rays are only 5.1 and its the amp that creates the sound to the extra 2 channels,although having purchased the lord of the rings trilogy a few weeks ago which as 6.1.
cheers spunky

7.1 is less of a 'must have' than HDMI switching to be honest, but it's more of a case of future-proofing. There may not be a lot of 7.1 films now but there will be soon enough. if I'm going to chuck several hundred quid at an amp, I'm going to want to be using it for a good few years.

Jon

In that case make sure you get one that supports hdmi 1.4. If not there'll be no 3d for you.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

saspro wrote:
[
In that case make sure you get one that supports hdmi 1.4. If not there'll be no 3d for you.

I have to say, 3D is something I really, really don't care about :lol:.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm
Has a life

jonbwfc wrote:
saspro wrote:
[

I have to say, 3D is something I really, really don't care about :lol:.

i will 2nd that notion "3d" :roll:
just been reading a bit more in one of todays papers,£1800 for a 47" lg tv(i think it was lg) plus they quoted £200 for an hdmi cable (i doubt that)
its quite a financial layout to be able to where dark glasses for hours.
cheers spunky

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:45 pm
What's a life?

jonlumb wrote:
Go listen to them. All the specs in the world don't mean anything if you don't like the sound they produce.

+1 - and remember to take your speakers, or have the shop use similar. Make sure the shop will let you test the thing in your home. I bought an amp from Richer Sounds many years ago - it sounded good in their demo room, but it had problems on layer changes on my player at home. In fact,once I knew the problem was there, we found it on the test rig back at the shop. I decided to try a Sony instead, took it home and it worked fine. I still have that amp today. At the time, Richer Sounds let you take stuff home and return it within a certain period of time if it didn’t work for your other hardware.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 pm
What's a life?

Wow, was this thread a year ago? Anyway, I put off buying a new amp at the time, but I've just ordered one of these in silver

Onkyo TXSR608 , 100 quid off in the Superfi sale

I'm going to add the following as soon as I can get to the shop to get some..

Cambridge Audio Minx speakers
(that set plus a couple extra more sats for 7.1)

Woot!

Sadly, I think I may not set it up for ages, because I also intend to buy a new stand to put my kit on and I can't afford to buy all of it at once :lol: .

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm
Site Admin

jonbwfc wrote:
Wow, was this thread a year ago? Anyway, I put off buying a new amp at the time, but I've just ordered one of these in silver

Good choice

Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

saspro wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:

Good choice

Ordered from Superfi at 11:30, despatch at 2.30 with Saturday delivery thrown in. I'm using them again...

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 pm
Site Admin

jonbwfc wrote:
Ordered from Superfi at 11:30, despatch at 2.30 with Saturday delivery thrown in. I'm using them again...

Remember that if you want to use banana plugs in the back of the amp you need to screw a screw a little way in and give it a tug to remove the blanking bits (stupid EU laws)

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next